Mega Thread COVID & AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Team,
as the season is approaching and there’s still much to discuss with regards to covid, please use this thread to talk about it and the potential impacts of it on the AFL season and the league more broadly. Please note however that if you want to talk about the politics of covid, the politics thread is the place for this and political posts in this thread will be deleted, please keep this thread to how it may impact the competition

For the record I have COVID right now which is why I'm posting instead of working.
How did you go with it? I’m on Day 4 since testing positive, my teenage daughter on Day 5 and my wife on Day 6.

And it’s been brutal - far worse than any cold/flu I’ve ever had before. My throat feels like it’s bathing in acid, I can’t breathe through my nose full stop, no amount of painkillers have even scratched the surface of the headache, and even going to the kitchen to get a glass of water wipes me out for 20-30 minutes. My wife is feeling slightly improved on Day 6, but it’s marginal.

Pure conjecture, but I’m not sure Omicron is much less severe than previous strains - it’s just that it doesn’t really affect the lungs - none of our symptoms are in the chest, it’s all throat and sinuses.

BTW - We’re all triple vaxxed.

Wouldn’t wish this on anyone - not even an Eagles fan.

I’m on day 6… mostly back to normal except for a bit of flem in a minor cough

Caught it from my partner - she had it a week before me and is still feeling it worse than me

I had the normal flu symptoms, early sore throat followed by chills, aches and chest cough, but it wasn’t my worst I’ve had - one of the luckier ones this time it seems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a bit of luck to win a Premiership, but that could be the case even more so this year.

Freo got off lightly really when Covid first ripped through WA and decimated the mob up the road. If we can finish top 4 and avoid Covid again and if it hits one of the other top 4 teams in late August/early September like it has the Lions in the last week we're a real chance at making the GF or even winning our first flag.

Don't let the perfect get in the way of the good.

What you're saying there is a bit like saying "unless you're doing an Olympic standard of training, you may as well not be doing any exercise at all".

All masks are going to have purity issues. Some are more effective than others, but all masks (worn appropriately as possible) will have some effectiveness in containing/reducing the spread of airborne diseases. Going for 100% perfection isn't realistic, but generally the more people, the more higher-risk situations they wear them in, the better to this end.
What you are saying is that it is better to wear a condom with holes in it than not wear a condom at all. Sorry mate but I wanna rawdog the air.

What you are saying is that it is better to wear a condom with holes in it than not wear a condom at all. Sorry mate but I wanna rawdog the air.
That's called a false equivalence... Unless you're spludging at someone standing a few feet away and condom, hole or no, would definitely be less messy for them and reduce likelihood of impregnation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's more chance I'll die from WWIII in the next 30 years than passing away from Covid19.

We have bigger issues to deal with currently. Most people just can't see it.

That would be the people on social media begging the government to force other people to do things so they can keep choosing to live their life how they want.
Nothing like a faceless amorphous group you can paint some vague general accusations on to really meet the integrity test. Not to mention a reply that doesn't reply for that added courage.

Nothing like a faceless amorphous group you can paint some vague general accusations on to really meet the integrity test. Not to mention a reply that doesn't reply for that added courage.
I don't think there is any point discussing it with you, if you want people to be forced to do something to facilitate you not having to choose to shelter yourself then we won't go anywhere.

We are in the time of personal responsibility. The rules don't even need you to stay in if you're sleeping with a covid positive person. They don't care about it spreading anymore and rightfully so, it's not what we were worried about.

I don't think there is any point discussing it with you, if you want people to be forced to do something to facilitate you not having to choose to shelter yourself then we won't go anywhere.

We are in the time of personal responsibility. The rules don't even need you to stay in if you're sleeping with a covid positive person. They don't care about it spreading anymore and rightfully so, it's not what we were worried about.
I dare say you don't want to be held accountable for your bodgey logic.

Again you choose to invent general non-specifics to strawman an argument together.

We live in a society. Containing a pandemic with a bit of mask wearing ain't a big deal to reduce the death toll and not overload hospitals, if that's what it takes.

We wear masks more to protect others more than ourselves.

It's also be interesting to see how firmly you'd hold to the "live the lives they want" mantra if your neighbours continuously had loud parties to 3am mid-week.

I dare say you don't want to be held accountable for your bodgey logic.

Again you choose to invent general non-specifics to strawman an argument together.

We live in a society. Containing a pandemic with a bit of mask wearing ain't a big deal to reduce the death toll and not overload hospitals, if that's what it takes.

We wear masks more to protect others more than ourselves.

It's also be interesting to see how firmly you'd hold to the "live the lives they want" mantra if your neighbours continuously had loud parties to 3am mid-week.
Do we have to dance to other examples because I'm clearly ok with people deciding what measures to protect themselves from something with an average death age above 80?

You do you. Not interested in requiring other people to take measures to protect me from something that won't kill me and I can choose to stay in to avoid if I want, or wear my own protection.

Do we have to dance to other examples because I'm clearly ok with people deciding what measures to protect themselves from something with an average death age above 80?

You do you. Not interested in requiring other people to take measures to protect me from something that won't kill me and I can choose to stay in to avoid if I want, or wear my own protection.

How do you know it won't kill you? It's highly unlikely to kill you as statistics show but it's not impossible.

The reason for lockdowns and mask wearing in public was to reduce the spread so hospitals weren't at breaking point and to protect the vulnerable to buy time for a vaxine to become available.

You know that average death age of 80 is bull. It’s much lower.
18-29 age group are 22 time more likely to die if unvaccinated.
All age groups have stats like that.

It’s the long term health problems Covid can cause you should be worried about.

I’ve just had my fourth jab and I still wear masks. I like protecting the people I love. I also want to protect people I don’t know.
Person choice, it should be about personal responsibility.

This is the facts for NSW hospitals at its peak. This data was distributed through medical channels not the media.

Un vaxed compared to vaxed hospitalisation was significantly higher for un vaxed.

Attachments

• IMG_3114.jpg
    IMG_3114.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 27

It's a society. We make compromises so society functions as best as it can. We wear clothes, seatbelts, avoid drink driving etc etc.

Mask wearing ain't no big deal. I wear a mask all day at work. No biggie.

People who get overly focused on them will have issue. Generally those who come from a culture of mask wearing have no issue with it, because they just get on with it and don't fuss.

I haven't advocated any mandates, but medical rep bodies have.

You know that average death age of 80 is bull. It’s much lower.
18-29 age group are 22 time more likely to die if unvaccinated.
All age groups have stats like that.

It’s the long term health problems Covid can cause you should be worried about.

I’ve just had my fourth jab and I still wear masks. I like protecting the people I love. I also want to protect people I don’t know.
Person choice, it should be about personal responsibility.

Check out the data I provided.

In other words you aren't selfishly only caring for yourself. Most people thankfully can see the bigger picture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back