Mega Thread COVID & AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Team,
as the season is approaching and there’s still much to discuss with regards to covid, please use this thread to talk about it and the potential impacts of it on the AFL season and the league more broadly. Please note however that if you want to talk about the politics of covid, the politics thread is the place for this and political posts in this thread will be deleted, please keep this thread to how it may impact the competition

Absurd that there's a lockdown after two cases, 18 months into this thing.

Why? There are 3 cases and it stops the bullshit that NSW are going through. Plus, this Delta variant is supposedly a lot worse than what we have seen. The positive case tonight got it from being in the same restaurant as one of the other cases without even coming into contact with them.

Anyone that still takes covid lightly is a moron and belongs on the Eagle board.

Look at Sydney ffs. Wake up.

Agreed but I am sick of getting into arguments about it so I just let those comments slide.

Team, on discussion, we think we need a thread for discussing the impact of COVID and the AFL. It is not for discussing the politics.

We realise that this line will be blurred, however, if you wish to discuss Mark, there is the politics forum of the site and our own sub-board located here:

We will be deleting any political posts and repeat offenders will be thread banned, please reach out to the mod team via PM if you have... questions.

Tonga Bob BeinPurplenGreen

• Banned
A virus being more transmissible as the delta variant supposedly is means it is less deadly. Viruses evolve to attenuate their lethality and enhance their transmissibility. Eventually this virus will become endemic globally and rapidly mutating like the cold (which itself includes coronaviruses).

I think it's likely that the season as intended is in peril - 3 cases and counting in WA, NSW has major problems, and sounds like Queensland and NT are probably going to lockdown. Not sure if Vic are on the other side of it or if things will kick off again there.

Hubs are likely I'd say, and we'll probably be losing this week as a minimum

Doesn't Victoria have active cases too? What's the rationale behind moving our game there?

Our two away wins for the season and when we build some momentum has been closely followed up by covid cases in this state. Very, very dockery

The whole country should be vaccinated already. The fact that it's not, despite the head start as far as low case count went is a blight on the country's leadership. Absurd that it's still causing these snap lockdowns randomly.

At least though we're not on a serious flag push this year. Free development year.

The whole country should be vaccinated already. The fact that it's not, despite the head start as far as low case count went is a blight on the country's leadership. Absurd that it's still causing these snap lockdowns randomly.

At least though we're not on a serious flag push this year. Free development year.
I said that last year:huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UK is one of the most vaccinated countries in the world and going back into lockdown restrictions.

UK is one of the most vaccinated countries in the world and going back into lockdown restrictions.

If by 'going back into lockdown restrictions' you mean opening up fully on the 19th July, then yes.

They were meant to open up a week ago.
Well aware. I live there.

This is why:

Screenshot 2021-06-28 at 14.50.57.png

To delay the reopening due to the delta variant to give more people time to get fully vaccinated.

BTW this is the deaths graph, due to said vaccinations:

Screenshot 2021-06-28 at 14.51.10.png

Screenshot 2021-06-28 at 14.55.01.png

Not sure if srs.
I am. There is nothing said about the IFR of the delta variant, other than it being more infectious. Generally when a virus becomes more infectious, it loses virulence. It doesn't make sense for a virus to evolve to kill more of its hosts.

Who cares if it is more infectious? You can guarantee you have caught coronaviruses on multiple occasions over your life time, none of them killing you or anyone you know.

I am. There is nothing said about the IFR of the delta variant, other than it being more infectious. Generally when a virus becomes more infectious, it loses virulence. It doesn't make sense for a virus to evolve to kill more of its hosts.

Who cares if it is more infectious? You can guarantee you have caught coronaviruses on multiple occasions over your life time, none of them killing you or anyone you know.
You're ignoring the giant fact that near 100% of the vulnerable are fully vaccinated and nearly half the entire population is fully vaccinated - in decending age order.

As opposed to...

6.3% in WA at 5000 per day

At this rate you'll be fully vaccinated in 18 months...

Would anyone actually have begrudged AFL players and staff "jumping the queue" and all getting the Pfizer months ago.
I mean it's not as though the average deadbeat lazy lockdown-supporting moron that populates this country by the millions s clamouring at the doors demanding vaccination.

Would anyone actually have begrudged AFL players and staff "jumping the queue" and all getting the Pfizer months ago.
I mean it's not as though the average deadbeat lazy lockdown-supporting moron that populates this country by the millions s clamouring at the doors demanding vaccination.
Given the amount they travel, it's absurd that they haven't been to protect local populations when they arrive.

You're ignoring the giant fact that near 100% of the vulnerable are fully vaccinated and nearly half the entire population is fully vaccinated - in decending age order.

As opposed to...

6.3% in WA
Yes, we should vaccinate the vulnerable, eg the over 60s, and then completely open up. FYI everyone I know over 60 is vaccinated.

Fewer people younger than 60 die from this disease than die from seasonal flu.

Yes, we should vaccinate the vulnerable, eg the over 60s, and then completely open up. FYI everyone I know over 60 is vaccinated.

Fewer people younger than 60 die from this disease than die from seasonal flu.
We'll just ignore the over 7000 people under 60 who died in the UK then. * em eh?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back