COVID chaos! WA border threatens entire AFL fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Storm in a teacup.

Exemptions will be sorted out, with a lot of behind the scenes work. All will be ok.

By the by, why blame WA, the actual cause of the problem is in Vic. Accept some of the blame at least, don’t blame others who tell you to “wash your hands” properly.

Onward and upward.
Every other state has opened or will open their border to Victoria too - the risk behind this type of policy is clearly lower than that of running hotel quarantine, as there have been at least 5 outbreaks stemming from HQ in since November, and just 1 instance of the virus crossing a border. And there is clearly significantly more travel between NSW and Victoria around Christmas/New year, than there is between Victoria and WA ever, so it is far less of a risk than that instance.

The cause of this particular problem is WA.

It is perfectly valid to say WA's strategy has been successful, while also acknowledging that other states have been just as successful with much more accomodating border restrictions.

Pah, he could shoot someone in St Georges Terrace and still win the election.....

Depends on the person. Clive Palmer would increase his margin of victory.

It's all another peacock moment before the election. Once thats done and dusted he'll relax border rules.

Just put the two WA teams into a hub until their Premier stops shivering in his frilly panties. WA's problem for WA teams to deal with.
If the WA government keeps on Bullsh**ing about the situation, I can see Both WA teams into Hubs to play out the season.

One in Tas, one in NT or ACT.
Wont make sense having one team hub in Tassie if the Tassie government closes out everyone like last season.

If I was running the AFL and Both WA teams are forced to Hub for 2021, send them both to Canberra for the season. At least the away games in NSW and Victoria wont be far.

At the level of logic, whilst it would pain me personally, I'd like to see the AFL throw both teams out this year if McGowan continues on his current course. Stupid disproportionate decisions need the consequences of those decisions fully exposed to make those that support them realise their is a downside as well as an upside.

McGowan isn’t going to back down now, he’s ridden the Covid wave perfectly over here.

So much so that the Libs have conceded the election and have thrown up a 14 year old to run against him.

....but once Marko is re-elected we should see a bit of a ‘giving WA back to the people!’ type of thing I think.

Still, we played Marko, nobody wants to end up like Dan Andrews.

Round 1 as planned and regig after that if WA won’t open up. WCE and Freo to go to SA and play both Port and Crows in round 2 and 3, round 4 for the showdown and Darby in SA if WA still refuses to open and then come round 5 hopefully no issues with flying in and out of WA and back to normal. That’s a full month into the season and no further outbreaks should mean WA will open. If WA won’t budge, it’s the WA teams that will suffer and the fans and not the rest of the competition. WCE and Freo will just have to leave WA until they open. They can’t afford to stall the comp for them or to put all the teams in hubs for half the year to accomodate them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WA can't have it both ways

Just play the season over east

Let footy to return to WA when we are ready
That is such a typical non Eagles/Freo WA supporter response. Because this doesn't affect your team. Both WA clubs are at their knees right now financially, we cant afford another season where we play home games interstate, its ridiculous that every other state will allow footy yet we are still following draconian border laws. Both WA clubs need the home game $$$ this year. I suspect the fixture will be redone to allow for border closures, and worst case Eagles/Freo will make up home games at the end of the season, playing mostly away first up, once most of the country has been vaccinated, the borders here wont be so strict.

That is such a typical non Eagles/Freo WA supporter response. Because this doesn't affect your team. Both WA clubs are at their knees right now financially, we cant afford another season where we play home games interstate, its ridiculous that every other state will allow footy yet we are still following draconian border laws. Both WA clubs need the home game $$$ this year. I suspect the fixture will be redone to allow for border closures, and worst case Eagles/Freo will make up home games at the end of the season, playing mostly away first up, once most of the country has been vaccinated, the borders here wont be so strict.

It is the WA government doing this and it affects the WA teams. There is an election on, up to the people of WA if they want things to change or not.

You have an election in a few weeks. Vote for politicians who want to follow the NSW model of keeping the state open and dealing with outbreaks as they occur, not politicians who lock up the state and lock up their citizens at the drop of a hat based on fear and xenophobia, not science.

But that’s the issue
Macgowan does want it both ways

Its only an issue if the AFL want it to be an issue.

One State cant hold a national comp to ransom.

If he refuses to budge then WCE and Freo hub elsewhere.

NSW has been open to everyone for 10 months except a brief window for Vic twice last year. We have had small outbreaks which have been contained each time.

It can be done, so any state not doing it is either acknowledging they dont have the skills to manage it or it is purely for political reasons.

It's all another peacock moment before the election. Once thats done and dusted he'll relax border rules.
I find it interesting that he's the most popular premier ever, simply by shitting on his fellow Australians in a time of crisis. Says a lot about many West Australians in my book.
Even on this board we've seen examples of West Australians revelling with utter delight at the suffering and deaths in Victoria.

It's hard to sympathise when:

1. West Coast and Fremantle DID have home games in 2020, including the final
2. You guys spent all of last year arguing VIC bias and blaming the AFL instead of your own government
3. It's your government unnecessarily doing this when other states like QLD, NT and SA have been more flexible due to the low risk
4. You have an election coming up where you can make a change. If McGowan is elected again, then you reap what you sow.
5. 16 other teams were financially hit last year and want to play some football while following reasonable safety protocols to recover some of the losses.

2020 was far worse for Victorian teams both mentally and financially than it was for WA sides. We can't afford to continuously change things because of your government.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back