COVID chaos! WA border threatens entire AFL fixture

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Personally I've loved living life as if there's no pandemic going on. Eating at restaurants, attending live music, shopping whenever I want, not needing to wear a mask. It's been great. Don't care if McGowan is "doing it for the votes", it benefits the people he represents so why would we complain? 5 days of lockdown in the last year compared to other states isn't a bad result.

Also have always found it strange that when a politician does something unpopular, "they only care about themselves". But when they do something popular with the people, "it must be because there's an election coming up". People will find a reason to complain about anything.

NSW has all that without hiding away from the rest of the country.

So should politicians always pander to the stupid desires of voters? Or should they be leaders and make the right decisions rather than the easy ones?

Youre ok if you get no AFL games in Perth this year if any other states has a single case which sees your borders shut again?

Do you actually know what youre afraid of? Have you looked at NSW's stats ?

Or is it just "in Mark we trust" ?

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Happy for the Dockers to stay in Melbourne for a few weeks starting in R1. We can use Marvel as our training base because the AFL own it now. Get 6-7 games out of the way against Melbourne teams and then come back and do 5-6 games at home into the bye. Will be the least travel we ever have to do in a season and apparently the lads really enjoyed the hubs last year.

Get all the teams vaccinated ASAP and by the time we get to mid season there should be enough evidence from around the world that the vaccine also reduces transmission; so McGowan (fresh from a landslide victory in the election) will have much less reason to not make an exemption for footy teams.

Why should you get all the home games later?

Hawks had 1 home game last year. Does that mean we get 16 home games this year?

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Why should you get all the home games later?

Hawks had 1 home game last year. Does that mean we get 16 home games this year?

Why yes, that’s exactly what I was advocating for...except I made no mention of last year at all!!

This is a thread about how we might get a season off if McGowan wants to keep being heavy handed with border restrictions - so my solution involved Freo doing a bit of hubbing whilst we wait for more evidence about the vaccines and their impact on disease transmission.

But sure, let’s conflate it with last season - when by R7 the only side not to play a home game was Freo.

Nah but 7 at the same ground leading into the finals was totally a gift to the eventual premiers

There was no Covid in 2019 either which makes it even more of an asterisk

Such a total gift that nobody noticed it or thought it was a problem until after the flag.

Keep the fixture as is.
If there's any issue with WA borders, WC and Freo relocate to SA and play any home games as per the original fixture, but at Adelaide Oval. No extra home games in Perth later in the season.

Let the WA teams stay home, ignore them and just have a couple of extra byes for the teams still competing. Not like they can win away from the WA fishbowl anyway.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
NSW has all that without hiding away from the rest of the country.

So should politicians always pander to the stupid desires of voters? Or should they be leaders and make the right decisions rather than the easy ones?

Youre ok if you get no AFL games in Perth this year if any other states has a single case which sees your borders shut again?

Do you actually know what youre afraid of? Have you looked at NSW's stats ?

Or is it just "in Mark we trust" ?
Public health is more important than footy, so yes I'm fine if no games are held in Perth if it means staying safe and healthy.

I know the stats. NSW has far more cases and, obviously, far more deaths. They have also been more affected by lockdowns and restrictions than we have. Not sure what point you're trying to make there, we have it good in Perth. Seems the only people sooking it up are entitled Victorians who think public health should be put at risk so they can travel

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Let the WA teams stay home, ignore them and just have a couple of extra byes for the teams still competing. Not like they can win away from the WA fishbowl anyway.

Literally the only side in any season of the AFL to go at a 100% win rate in victoria in 2018. (2020 doesn't count) We were 6/6 and beat our fellow grand finalists in Melbourne twice and another top 4 side. But hey, you keep clinging to that revisionist bullshit.

The V/AFL would have gone broke if it weren't for West Coast and Brisbane paying entry into the league. You should be ******* greatful your team is playing in a national competition full stop.

Also as the WAFC own both the Eagles and Dockers licences they can't be revoked and aren't under the control of the AFL. I'd love to see a court case where the AFL tries to defend an action of excluding 2 sides from the league for a year. They would lose and be forced to pay for the lost revenue of the season and potential lost revenue for future seasons as well. The AFL would be up for 150-200 million plus legal fees at the least. Then there is the AFLPA representing the cases of the players, emotional stress and so on and so forth. Would be a nice easy way to bankrupt the league and force out 4 victorian sides, GWS and the Gold Coast plus probably the AFLW as well. On top of this it would breach the AFL's contract with the TV rights contracts on 9 games a round. But carry on.

I'm pretty sure West Coast and Freo would walk away pretty happy with that, I guess in a season where you are excluded you automatically finish 17th and 18th with zero wins. Would be a pretty clear case for a priority pick on top of the teams taking pick 1 and 2 to the draft.

******* imbeciles.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Word salad. You got about 7 home games to Victorian based teams 0.

And couldnt even muster top 4.

No ticker your lot and the good teams irrespective of the draw ate them alive like you deserved.
Richmond didn't play their first 3-4 games at home didn't they?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
They can hub in SA or SEQ. WGAF.
SA would be interesting.

South east Queensland? At Brisbane or Gold coast? Maybe. Freo won a few games in Queensland last season.

I also posted Canberra as an option too. I don't mind. Being in the eastern part of Australia so the travel won't be as bad.

Literally the only side in any season of the AFL to go at a 100% win rate in victoria in 2018. (2020 doesn't count) We were 6/6 and beat our fellow grand finalists in Melbourne twice and another top 4 side. But hey, you keep clinging to that revisionist bullshit.

3 years ago, who cares? Hell, WCE couldn't even make top 4, let alone win a final last year when they were given a dream run.

The V/AFL would have gone broke if it weren't for West Coast and Brisbane paying entry into the league. You should be ******* greatful your team is playing in a national competition full stop.

Repeating a lie doesn't make it true.

Also as the WAFC own both the Eagles and Dockers licences they can't be revoked and aren't under the control of the AFL. I'd love to see a court case where the AFL tries to defend an action of excluding 2 sides from the league for a year. They would lose and be forced to pay for the lost revenue of the season and potential lost revenue for future seasons as well. The AFL would be up for 150-200 million plus legal fees at the least. Then there is the AFLPA representing the cases of the players, emotional stress and so on and so forth. Would be a nice easy way to bankrupt the league and force out 4 victorian sides, GWS and the Gold Coast plus probably the AFLW as well. On top of this it would breach the AFL's contract with the TV rights contracts on 9 games a round. But carry on.

As last year showed, TV rights can be adjusted.
As for the court case...if it's done as the result of government action making it impractical to proceed, the case wouldn't even make it to court.

WAFC owning the licences is no different to any other form of ownership...but I wasn't suggesting revoking their license, just that while covid made it impractical for them to play, they be 'rested'.

I'm pretty sure West Coast and Freo would walk away pretty happy with that, I guess in a season where you are excluded you automatically finish 17th and 18th with zero wins. Would be a pretty clear case for a priority pick on top of the teams taking pick 1 and 2 to the draft.

and now you're on board with the idea....

******* imbeciles.

Couldn't have described WAhhh fans better myself.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
It was nice to make up for receiving half a home advantage in the 4 months prior to it. Would've been nicer if we had a couple of extra home games early and didn't have to win 9 in a row just to make top 4.

But hey, don't let the truth get in the way of some #ViccoBias
7 games in a row at mcg leading in the finals was not vicbias. It was Richmond hard carry from the AFL

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

******* imbeciles.
This is quite literally the gold standard of West Coast fan delusion. Heroes in one sentence, downtrodden victims the next. Im glad youve convinced yourself.

This is why Victoria pitys your lot. And by the way, your team is just another 6th to 12th team who have never gone back to back .

Embarrassing stuff. Cringe.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Why yes, that’s exactly what I was advocating for...except I made no mention of last year at all!!

This is a thread about how we might get a season off if McGowan wants to keep being heavy handed with border restrictions - so my solution involved Freo doing a bit of hubbing whilst we wait for more evidence about the vaccines and their impact on disease transmission.

But sure, let’s conflate it with last season - when by R7 the only side not to play a home game was Freo.

I wouldnt worry too much about Freos draw. Youll most likely play finals this year and a good chance youll be the best team in your home town.

We did not get 7 in a row at our home ground leading into the finals

2020 season was also a Covid affected season where 2019 was not
Do you also agree that you play only 10 of your 11 home games at your home ground, and one home game at the opposition's home ground or on a "neutral ground" played on far more by your opposition like Richmond has to? You also lose you Darby every year
So you would play 10 home games in Perth. An away game against Fremantle every 3 or so years and a home game, say, in Adelaide against Port?
So you'd get 3 games in Perth for the first 16 rounds, and then 7 straight home games.
Of course some of Richmond's home games in their run of 7 were neutral, so you'd have a much bigger advantage over what Richmond did in 2019. But it's a start.
You happy to lock that in whinger?

Back