Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sydney cases are currently way lower than they were modelled to be, as modellers underestimated the efficacy of the vaccine in stopping spread. I don't think new modelling of Vic based on nsw vaccine efficacy will look as bad as earlier opening predictions.

The good thing for NSW and Vic is that they're re-opening whilst vaccine efficacy is at it's peak due to such recent jabbing. December isn't looking as bad as modelled. The real issues may come next winter when efficacy has dropped, unless boosters are in play by then.

It's fine for people to predict that it won't be 'as bad' as modelled, and I've got a spectrum of pessimistic-optimistic possibilities in my head as well.

But anyone who doesn't think that opening up will come at a serious cost --to others, if not ourselves-- is absolutely kidding themselves.

Have one for the rest of us. Keep warm.
Ironically, my new favourite beer is a NSW brewery called Mountain Culture.
Epic range of fantastic IPAs.
Can get a 4 pack of 500 ml cans delivered for only $50.
Highly recommend by yours truly

Do you make comments to people walking past (assuming front porch), like “nice hat” or “keep moving, you’re blocking my sun”.
I let my dog go bananas at them

Do you make comments to people walking past (assuming front porch), like “nice hat” or “keep moving, you’re blocking my sun”.

Isn't that the story about Alexander, that he deigned to have a chat with one of the renowned philosophers of his day, who told Alex to stand aside because the great man was blocking the greater man's light?

Ironically, my new favourite beer is a NSW brewery called Mountain Culture.
Epic range of fantastic IPAs.
Can get a 4 pack of 500 ml cans delivered for only $50.
Highly recommend by yours truly

If I drank right now, it'd be wine.

I'm trying not to drink right now because, if I did, I would dive into a wine bottle and be 'rescued' some time in the year 2045, whereupon a sanctimonious doctor in uncommon health will pleasure in telling me that 'you've been doing quite a bit of damage to yourself, haven't you?'

If I drank right now, it'd be wine.

I'm trying not to drink right now because, if I did, I would dive into a wine bottle and be 'rescued' some time in the year 2045, whereupon a sanctimonious doctor in uncommon health will pleasure in telling me that 'you've been doing quite a bit of damage to yourself, haven't you?'
It’s hard to find a doctor who doesn’t nag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s hard to find a doctor who doesn’t nag

I’ll give you the details of a mate who is a plastic surgeon. I go see him to get my moles checked but it’s really to check out the needy psycho chicks in his waiting room looking for boob jobs and “cool sculpting”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ll give you the details of a mate who is a plastic surgeon. I go see him to get my moles checked but it’s really to check out the needy psycho chicks in his waiting room looking for boob jobs and “cool sculpting”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Used to go to a doctor in Flemington. He was awesome.
Checked you out and that was it. No psychoanalysis

The devotionals dedicated to the Don strike me as low-humour and lower politics. NSW has an advanced vaccination rate, and the broad reality is that he's now making some moves to push beyond the reality we've all been living in for too long.

The idolisation of Perrottet is not my issue, so much as the underappreciation of what we're about to embark on in Victoria.

Andrews hasn't tried to sidestep the roadmap he laid down not so long ago. Victoria is on its own march towards a post-pandemic reality, which means freedom for many, but it will also bring extraordinary stress and enduring pain.

The Victorian roadmap arrived a couple of weeks after the NSW one was announced by Gladys; until then we had crickets.

To his absolute credit DA is committed to reopening. This was always the understanding between the govt and the adoring public; it also happens to be a political and economic reality.

The word freedom in the context of reopening can mean many things ie. freedom to travel, freedom to spend time with friends etc. For many "freedom" once we reopen means simply being able to work and enjoy a regular income once again.

Sadly, extraordinary stress and pain has already being experienced and more awaits for many. Let's not forget though the vast majority have been offered a simple, safe, and compelling solution and plainly refused it.

I like that the NSW premier has chosen to remove all COVID based fear from his communications. I've detected that DA has engaged a similar rhetoric recently which is great. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Many many brotherly hugs. X

Last 7 days in the UK:
281k positive cases
5.5k people admitted to hospital
818 deaths
79% of population over 12 fully vaccinated

Hey mate, that's terrible.

Yes, both countries have much in common e.g. PMs that suck, but that doesn't mean we will experience their COVID outcomes. :)

Cheer yourself up by looking at the Scandinavian countries or Portugal.

It's fine for people to predict that it won't be 'as bad' as modelled, and I've got a spectrum of pessimistic-optimistic possibilities in my head as well.

But anyone who doesn't think that opening up will come at a serious cost --to others, if not ourselves-- is absolutely kidding themselves.

My view is quite simply that "It's time".

No doubt that people will die. But it's time to remember that whilst death is incredibly sad, it's also much more than incredibly inevitable. And covid deaths aren't sadder than the other things that kill us.

We all should be proud of the sacrifices we've made, which haven't been to stop the unstoppable - death, they've been to lengthen life.

But what's the point of lengthening life, if we're going to make it crap. It's time to continue living and dying.

That seems roughly in line with the 15,000 Covid death toll I’m expecting for Australia by the end of next year.

Over 1000 deaths a month is a bad outcome. I'm very interested to know what your reasoning/calculation behind this assumption is?

The Victorian roadmap arrived a couple of weeks after the NSW one was announced by Gladys; until then we had crickets.

To his absolute credit DA is committed to reopening. This was always the understanding between the govt and the adoring public; it also happens to be a political and economic reality.

The word freedom in the context of reopening can mean many things ie. freedom to travel, freedom to spend time with friends etc. For many "freedom" once we reopen means simply being able to work and enjoy a regular income once again.

Sadly, extraordinary stress and pain has already being experienced and more awaits for many. Let's not forget though the vast majority have been offered a simple, safe, and compelling solution and plainly refused it.

I like that the NSW premier has chosen to remove all COVID based fear from his communications. I've detected that DA has engaged a similar rhetoric recently which is great. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Many many brotherly hugs. X

Dan isn't imitating Don. Not sure how anyone can come to that view.

There was always going to be a delay between the Victorian and NSW roadmaps, because NSW were further down the path of the Delta wave and (more important) vaccination.

Dan's language became more positive and determined from the release of Victoria's roadmap, back when Gladys was relevant, and he hasn't veered from it since.

But I suppose people will interpret and/or rewrite events according to their own inclinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back