Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMBB

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Purple Fig closed today - place in Auburn Rd has nice coffee - these coffee scrolls looked quite delicious

IMG_20230126_085153900.jpg

Oz of the Year has been a farce for years - but it’s getting worse.

Instead of awarding some person who has, say, devoted a lifetime to medical research/charity, they pick out some sloppy self-promoter who has somehow made a living for a few years handing out free passes to fatties.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are you calling her a fat campaigner? Nasty.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are you calling her a fat campaigner? Nasty.

Even worse. I think she is giving the overweight an excuse.

Life. Be in it. Remember Norm? They probably couldn’t run that campaign these days as it would be “triggering”.

I would rather see the message that your chassis is a reflection of the thousands of choices that you have made over your lifetime. If you want that chassis to change, make different choices. Always time to change. Until there isn’t.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
darts are for smoking arent they?
One would think so but it depends what's in the dart. A loaded dart can take an eye out easily but a lit one could do just as much damage if projected into the same eye. Then there is the laced dart which can pack quite a punch if loaded with OG Kush but those ones are rarely thrown until nearly finished because they are just ever so enjoyable to smoke

Life. Be in it. Remember Norm? They probably couldn’t run that campaign these days as it would be “triggering”.

I would rather see the message that your chassis is a reflection of the thousands of choices that you have made over your lifetime. If you want that chassis to change, make different choices. Always time to change. Until there isn’t.

On a broader level it sends the wrong message about our values as a country, in my view.

Australia is coping with an obesity epidemic.

A buddy is a high school teacher who wakes up at 4:45AM to be at work by 6:15AM, 3 times a week. He runs a 1 hour strength and conditioning class open to all students.

He does not get paid for this. No personal gain other than the satisfaction of teaching kids an active lifestyle.

He started with a handful of students, now 2 years later he gets 30+ every morning he runs those sessions.

Unpaid work, volunteering, research etc.

So many noble causes to recognise.

Instead we encourage every Homer Simpson slothing on the couch munching on their Cheezels, to stop fighting their negative body image and embrace who they are. FMD.

Last edited:

'Life. Be in it' would certainly be seen as paternalistic by some, maybe a bit condescending.

But no one expected Norm to turn into Grant Kenny. They just wanted him to do some sport as well as watch it.

Which might be my way of admitting that I am in vibe with your diatribe.

Someone remind me never to venture to reddit.. the way people talk about me is insane. Makes me starting to question my social media presence. I dont often get mental health issues, but geez, it tested me.
Wanted to crawl into a hole to a time when nobody knew who I was.
Sigh.

In other news, I may have rediscoved my muse to starting writing again. It's been so long. It'll help with my headspace.

Last edited:
Someone remind me never to venture to reddit.. the way people talk about me is insane. Makes me starting to question my social media presence. I dont often get mental health issues, but geez, it tested me.
Sigh.

In other news, I may have rediscoved my muse to starting writing again. It's been so long. It'll help with my headspace.
Sorry to hear that Jen. Try not to let it get you down, it’s what they want.

Sigh.

Look after yourself mate. Reddit (like all forums) can be a cesspit and the toxicity is harmful.

This is why I hope out-of-form players don't venture here.

Drinks party last night. Safe to say my thoughts on our Australian of the year weren’t well received. Not even by the skinny ladies. Kind of sad to see how out of touch they all were.

Maybe blokes are missing an important angle on this one.

It just seems that her message simply tells a lot of people what they want to hear, and doesn't do anything to account for the complexities and particularities of a situation, any more than telling someone to 'lose weight'.

To the extent that the message is good, her delivery of it doesn't seem that important. People have been pushing a more 'body positive' approach for a long time, in relation to stereotypes and eating disorders, so an AOTY award for a documentary no one has seen from a woman no one has heard of seems rather odd.

Drinks party last night. Safe to say my thoughts on our Australian of the year weren’t well received. Not even by the skinny ladies. Kind of sad to see how out of touch they all were.

I wish I could think of a sharp riposte to this, but I’m out of form. Hopefully this half-arsed attempt is enough.😛

Perhaps from your perspective, allow me to give you an alternate lens through which to look at it. I must say that I had not heard of Taryn Brumfitt prior to this so not familiar with her work nor seen her documentary so I’m just speaking generally on the topic and from the female viewpoint.

Women are constantly bombarded from a very early age what the “perfect body” is and what they should look like, and social media has amplified this with unrealistic expectations and criteria. Body image problems can start from a very young age, eating disorders and other abnormal focus on “flaws”. We have a booming cosmetic industry where women in their late teens and early twenties are getting Botox, fillers, collagen lip injections, breast enlargements, where a lot of this is driven by Insta and the “influencers”. The whole weight loss industry is by and large focussed on women … men seem not to be overweight or obese, somehow. Judgement on women based on their appearance, which includes weight, is real and quite nasty. Men, for the most part, seem to escape this level of scrutiny.

So, in the TL/DNR version, any message that encourages women to not beat up on themselves because they cannot obtain the size 6, 45kg ”perfect” body is a good thing. Now, I’m not suggesting it is ok and acceptable to be obese, it is important to have a balanced diet and be physically active but the insidious message that you are somehow a lesser or inadequate person and a failure because your BMI and % body fat is not on the lower end of the scale and you don’t look a certain way should be called out. And yes, a lot of this pressure and judgement is placed by women on other women.

I’m with you though. Obesity is a disease, and there needs to be room to call a spade a spade. Again, not talking about conforming to anyone’s ideal, just that there’s a healthy range, and if you’re happily living outside it it’s really no different to happily living with alcoholism, illicit substances etc.

When it comes to making life-altering changes, some people have it between the ears to commit to it, others don’t. What Jathanas’ teacher friend is doing will hopefully encourage a few people to not just start off with some very positive habits, but also engender some self-belief if life gets tough at some point.

Sigh.

* those arseholes, we love you here. Keep up the writing; everybody needs something to help them disconnect from the day-to-day. For me, it’s running and learning piano… generally not at the same time but I’m not putting limits on myself. :D

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perhaps from your perspective, allow me to give you an alternate lens through which to look at it. I must say that I had not heard of Taryn Brumfitt prior to this so not familiar with her work nor seen her documentary so I’m just speaking generally on the topic and from the female viewpoint.

Women are constantly bombarded from a very early age what the “perfect body” is and what they should look like, and social media has amplified this with unrealistic expectations and criteria. Body image problems can start from a very young age, eating disorders and other abnormal focus on “flaws”. We have a booming cosmetic industry where women in their late teens and early twenties are getting Botox, fillers, collagen lip injections, breast enlargements, where a lot of this is driven by Insta and the “influencers”. The whole weight loss industry is by and large focussed on women … men seem not to be overweight or obese, somehow. Judgement on women based on their appearance, which includes weight, is real and quite nasty. Men, for the most part, seem to escape this level of scrutiny.

So, in the TL/DNR version, any message that encourages women to not beat up on themselves because they cannot obtain the size 6, 45kg ”perfect” body is a good thing. Now, I’m not suggesting it is ok and acceptable to be obese, it is important to have a balanced diet and be physically active but the insidious message that you are somehow a lesser or inadequate person and a failure because your BMI and % body fat is not on the lower end of the scale and you don’t look a certain way should be called out. And yes, a lot of this pressure and judgement is placed by women on other women.

Good post. Admittedly I was being very trite about a very serious issue - body image issues leading onto eating disorders. Anything that can help(invariably) women gain confidence in themselves is awesome.

That all might be true, but i liked the posts that were giving sideswipe encouragement and extra shovels to dig deeper at BBQs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back