Covid thread, no other politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Media has been banned by Victoria police from news choppers reporting protest actions. Sanctioned by Victorian government (no surprises there) being challenged in court by all the news outlets. Pretty draconian stuff no matter how you look at it.

Is there no step too far these days? That's seriously concerning stuff that an Australian government would even think it, let alone do it. Banning the press, and this is meant to be a democracy. I've never bought into the comrade/chairman Dan stuff, but it's hard not to now.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Is there no step too far these days? That's seriously concerning stuff that an Australian government would even think it, let alone do it. Banning the press, and this is meant to be a democracy. I've never bought into the comrade/chairman Dan stuff, but it's hard not to now.
Welcome to the people's republic of Viktoriastan, no surprise there.

Which is why I don't understand the segregation or provisions like mask wearing in the future either.

Being fully vaxed I don't fear getting COVID at all.

Once all Aussies have had a chance to be vaxed, those unvaxed are on their own. Their choice.

Having a kid in Childcare, Gastro is more of a concern for me.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Once everyone has had a chance to be vaccinated, then we should be opening up before Christmas holidays.

Agree it should be mandated for those working with vulnerable people... otherwise ok if unvaccinated do so at their own risk.

We are tracking ok for 80%+ covax for over 16's, so should keep infected to a manageable level.

Still seems exponential to me. NSW seem to have a handle on it now though.
Even Indonesia that peaked at 56,000 cases daily a month ago, is down to 2720 cases yesterday. A drop of 95.3%, mind you from a population of 280 million.
That leaves both Victoria and NSW as basket cases in comparison.
NSW has 55% fully vaccinated & jump on everyone else given they were the highest need... so this is helping stabilise & reduce their numbers.

Victoria only 45% fully vaccinated, so need to get this up to stabilise & reduce their numbers.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Once everyone has had a chance to be vaccinated, then we should be opening up before Christmas holidays.

Agree it should be mandated for those working with vulnerable people... otherwise ok if unvaccinated do so at their own risk.

We are tracking ok for 80%+ covax for over 16's, so should keep infected to a manageable level.
Which means all restrictions should cease.

QR check in is sensible. Contact tracing of those infected to get tested.

But wearing face masks, which is a hassle if done correctly, and all other restrictions should be gone.

I also don't understand the segregation. I don't care if an unvaxed person is in the same space as me. Why should I?

fortunatecrow

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
NSW has 55% fully vaccinated & jump on everyone else given they were the highest need... so this is helping stabilise & reduce their numbers.

Victoria only 45% fully vaccinated, so need to get this up to stabilise & reduce their numbers.
It will be interesting to see if they keep regional Victoria out of lockdown, we do seem to be seeing case numbers increasing outside Melbourne

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Which means all restrictions should cease.

QR check in is sensible. Contact tracing of those infected to get tested.

But wearing face masks, which is a hassle if done correctly, and all other restrictions should be gone.

I also don't understand the segregation. I don't care if an unvaxed person is in the same space as me. Why should I?

The only way they should be able to force any form of restriction, QR codes included, is if the ICUs are overrun. Checking in doesn't bother me, but it's the emergency powers that allows them to demand and enforce it. Once those powers are removed, they can only ask. Unless they pass special legislation, which I'm sure is what's in the works as we speak.

Does it stop you getting it though? Thought it just drastically reduced the severity of the symptoms.
Significantly reduces your chances of getting it & the severity if you get it.

fortunatecrow

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm in two minds on this. The nuffie protesters are clearly chasing publicity so if you can't stop the protests directly maybe this starves them of oxygen?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm in two minds on this. The nuffie protesters are clearly chasing publicity so if you can't stop the protests directly maybe this starves them of oxygen?

slippery slope though, what reason next for silencing the press? Turns out its been corrected, no live footage for 'operational' reasons, 1 hour embargo.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

Annastacia Palaszczuk said the Doherty modelling predicted 80 deaths a day and 2,240 a month after six months. Is that correct?
RMIT ABC Fact Check
Posted 10h ago10 hours ago, updated 9h ago9 hours ago
Annastacia Palaszczuk speaking in parliament. The verdict is misleading with a white cross in a red circle

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says the Doherty modelling predicts 80 COVID-19 deaths per day after six months, amounting to 2,240 deaths per month.
The verdict
Ms Palaszczuk's claim is misleading.

fortunatecrow

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

Annastacia Palaszczuk said the Doherty modelling predicted 80 deaths a day and 2,240 a month after six months. Is that correct?
RMIT ABC Fact Check
Annastacia Palaszczuk speaking in parliament. The verdict is misleading with a white cross in a red circle

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says the Doherty modelling predicts 80 COVID-19 deaths per day after six months, amounting to 2,240 deaths per month.
The verdict
I have been critical of Factcheck, but good on them, more scrutiny needed. "Misleading" is understating it though.

RMIT ABC Fact Check

The verdict
Queensland premier & her CMO have made the most dumbfounding comments on covid of any state or territory jurisdiction... some of which has been unhelpful as has sent the wrong message to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back