Covid thread, no other politics

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yesterday's adjusted Victorian number 705 + 140 = 845 in Victoria, versus 788 in NSW....so yesterday was crossover day when the number of cases apparently incontrovertibly "proves" that Gladys is a better Premier than Denial Andrews.

Rapid Antigen Testing available in Australia from November
Taking a Covid test from the comfort of your own home and getting the result in the space of just 20 minutes will soon be a reality for every Australian.

Taking a Covid-19 test from the comfort of your own home and getting the result in the space of just 20 minutes will soon be a reality for every Australian.
Do-it-yourself rapid antigen tests, which have been used around the world for months, will be available in Australia from November 1, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.
Pending the approval of specific test kits by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), long car queues followed by days in isolation waiting for the traditional PCR test will be a thing of the past.

TGA head Professor John Skerritt said the regulator was working with manufacturers, states and territories “as a priority” to ensure systems were in place for the “reliable safe use of these tests at home”.

“It is anticipated that 70 per cent of Australians across the country will be double vaccinated, triggering phase B of the National plan by the end of October,” he said.

“Therefore a new regulation will be made … permitting the sale and use of home tests after 1 November 2021.”
Throughout September the TGA has had an expressions of interest register for manufacturers wanting to sell home tests in Australia, but no formal application process had been opened.

Prof Skerritt said government go-ahead primarily depended on three things: having a home test kit ready, a decision on when it was “less of a big deal” to miss some positive cases, and what kind of reporting system would be used to record test results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not at all just tag them in - would be great to hear their thoughts
You don't need to tag him. Whatever the actual issue in question it would be a combination of....[puts on LWNJ hat]:

(a) isn't it humourous that people I disagree with died of COVID?
(b) I hope more people that disagree with me die of COVID, that would also be humourous
(c) whaddabout that time that SchkoMo pointed out out that he wasn't a firefighther....
(d) Everything is SchkoMo's / Murdoch's / Trump's fault
(g) If SchkoMo had done his job properly and developed a vaccine personally we would all have been vaccinated before the virus existed.
(h) You're a moron if you disagree with me
(i) get over it

[takes off LWNJ hat]

Our (SA) hospital/ambulance/emergency system still not working very well. Sounds like you were screwed if you needed an ambulance down south last night.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09...h-clinical-risk-in-sa-health-system/100497126

I cannot see Marshall and Co opening the borders when we reach the magical 80% fully vaccinated, we are off to the polls in March, he wouldn't like to enter that with our hospitals unable to cope with a surge of Covid cases.

You don't need to tag him. Whatever the actual issue in question it would be a combination of....[puts on LWNJ hat]:

(a) isn't it humourous that people I disagree with died of COVID?
(b) I hope more people that disagree with me die of COVID, that would also be humourous
(c) whaddabout that time that SchkoMo pointed out out that he wasn't a firefighther....
(d) Everything is SchkoMo's / Murdoch's / Trump's fault
(g) If SchkoMo had done his job properly and developed a vaccine personally we would all have been vaccinated before the virus existed.
(h) You're a moron if you disagree with me
(i) get over it

[takes off LWNJ hat]
Look, I am not going to get into a political stoush on here - but following on from your point and that made by Mutineer, some (and they very much know who they are) would have be well advised from shooting their mouths off about the 'gold standard' state running out of control without waiting to see what their no 1 guy Stairman Dan did and how it played out in Victoria. At the very least they should be back here cap in hand acknowledging they were wrong to jump the gun on NSW as Victoria is certainly on track to be as big if not a bigger basket case and that Dan should cop the same vitriol Gladys has done. If these people posting here had a shred of decency they would be doing that.

But the question is what to do now other than hurry up to get vaccinations to the 80% we have been told will trigger a relaxation of most restrictions. I can't see any other viable answer?

Our (SA) hospital/ambulance/emergency system still not working very well. Sounds like you were screwed if you needed an ambulance down south last night.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09...h-clinical-risk-in-sa-health-system/100497126

I cannot see Marshall and Co opening the borders when we reach the magical 80% fully vaccinated, we are off to the polls in March, he wouldn't like to enter that with our hospitals unable to cope with a surge of Covid cases.
Hindsight is great and at the time it was proposed, we had no idea what was to come re Covid but imagine if they had not mothballed the old RAH and instead kept it and refurbished the old one so we would have had double the capacity and would have future proofed ourselves.

Its like when the previous government tried to mothball the repat - 100% wrong thinking. They should have refurbed it as the population is only getting bigger not smaller. From memory, Mulligan the labor MP was very vocal about retaining services at the QEH which they ended up doing and that is to be commended. If we had the new RAH and the old one was refurbished (and yes it would have cost a lot of money), we would not even be talking about hospital capacities once we get to the 80% vaccinated number and ambulance ramping might not be a thing either. Just my thoughts

You get the feeling that it's an issue in every state. Ambulances and ED's are as stretched as they always are (despite the governments having 12 months to try to catch up) and they are very nervous about the impact of the sharp edge of a spike.

not at all just tag them in - would be great to hear their thoughts

Why don't we just leave the thread to those that want to discuss covid itself, not from whichever far end of the spectrum they exist. If they don't want to be here, don't annoy them by tagging them.

Essential poll out today

Q. How would you rate your state government’s response to the Covid-19 outbreak?

TOTAL: Good27/0913/0930/0816/0802/0819/0705/0707/0624/0512/0415/0301/0315/02
NSW53%46%40%42%47%54%57%69%68%73%75%72%72%
VIC44%50%44%56%54%49%50%48%63%58%62%49%59%
QLD62%65%67%66%60%62%61%65%68%72%75%73%76%
SA55%67%76%68%73%68%67%67%71%75%85%78%79%
WA82%87%78%87%82%77%86%75%77%84%91%85%88%

Q. Overall, how would you rate the federal government’s response to the Covid-19 outbreak?

27/0913/0930/0816/0802/0819/0705/0707/0624/0512/0415/0301/0315/02
Neither good nor poor25%21%24%24%28%23%26%22%25%21%18%24%19%
TOTAL: Poor30%35%36%35%35%31%30%24%18%17%12%14%12%
TOTAL: Good45%43%39%41%38%46%44%53%58%62%70%62%69%

Its going well, so well in fact they have caught up to the Gold Standard of NSW.
No doubt you've noticed those that were so vocal in their condemnation of of the NSW Government's handling of the Covid pandemic have left the building since Victoria's situation has turned to just as bad despite a world record days in lockdown. Frontrunners those blokes.

Ambulances forced to queue as health system strained under Covid pressure
Callers to triple-0 were reportedly left waiting this week, with paramedics warning that Victoria’s health system is under strain.

“If there's no beds then the ambulance has to stay and wait with the patient.

“What that means is the crew is not available to respond to other patients in the community when they need assistance.

“That has a flow-on effect to you or your friend not getting an ambulance if they break their leg playing footy or they have a car accident or a relative has a heart attack.”

He said he worries rising Covid hospitalisations will see medical staff not save patients who otherwise would have been resuscitated.

“There’s only so many resources even in a major hospital,” he said.

“We’ve seen that overseas.

“They stopped performing some resuscitation on severely unwell elderly people, because they didn’t have the resources.”

He told the Herald Sun workers were doing their best, battling exhaustion and overtime hours.

“Health workers are burnt out,” he said.

“They’re not finishing their shifts on time when they do work.

“They rely so much on paramedics working overtime on their days off, that’s been going on for decades.”

A video posted online by Dr Amy Nicho shows at least 12 ambulances, plus a police vehicle, queued outside the Northern Hospital in Epping last night.

You get the feeling that it's an issue in every state. Ambulances and ED's are as stretched as they always are (despite the governments having 12 months to try to catch up) and they are very nervous about the impact of the sharp edge of a spike.
Not enough hospital beds = more time in ED for patients waiting for a bed = more ambulance ramping = longer ambulance response times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back