Covid Vaccination Feedback and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

76woodenspooners

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
My 23 year old is getting his first Pfizer this morning, eligibility as a result of being a student healthcare worker. I’m very happy about this as it is one less area of worry as he may be potentially exposed as part of placement rotations.
Something I don’t understand, and I hope somebody is able to explain it to me …

… I understand that people who are vaccinated can still get Covid, and still get sick from Covid (albeit likely to be less sick) …

… but are vaccinated people less likely to pass Covid onto others?

And if the answer to that question is “yes”, then why weren’t vaccinations prioritized according to Covid exposure risk?

I get that 87 year old Betty who is in a nursing home in Albury would be at a high risk of sickness or death if she got Covid, but wouldn’t Betty be even better off if we gave the vaccine that had been earmarked for her and her fellow nursing home folks, to airport workers, folks working in quarantine hotels, Uber drivers driving crew from the airport to the quarantine hotel, healthcare workers, etc, etc? Ie: minimise the risk of Covid getting into the community in the first place?

I find it incredible that your son who has genuine risk of Covid exposure is getting his vaccination in July behind around 14% of the population? (Including people like me who has minimal exposure risk)

When there’a a fire, you give the the breathing apparatus to the firies who are exposed to the smoke. When there is a shootout you give the bulletproof vests to the cops who are responding. Why did’t we take the same approach to the vaccine rollout?

Last edited:

DinoSoar

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2013
Outer Fringes
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's great! My teenage grandchildren are eagerly awaiting their turn. Not even so much for themselves but for the elderly family and friends around them.

Decision they made themselves after much research.
Good on them, hopefully more stock will be available soon to get coverage for the youngsters. My 20 year is also anxiously awaiting her turn.

DinoSoar

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2013
Outer Fringes
AFL Club
Collingwood

… I understand that people who are vaccinated can still get Covid, and still get sick from Covid (albeit likely to be less sick) …

And if the answer to that question is “yes”, then why weren’t vaccinations prioritized according to Covid exposure risk?

I get that 87 year old Betty who is in a nursing home in Albury would be at a high risk of sickness or death if she got Covid, but wouldn’t Betty be even better off if we gave the vaccine that had been earmarked for her and her fellow nursing home folks, to airport workers, folks working in quarantine hotels, Uber drivers driving crew from the airport to the quarantine hotel, healthcare workers, etc, etc? Ie: minimise the risk of Covid getting into the community in the first place?

I find it incredible that your son who has genuine risk of Covid exposure is getting his vaccination in July behind around 14% of the population? (Including behind people like me who has minimal exposure risk)

When there’a a fire, you give the the breathing apparatus to the firies who are exposed to the smoke. When there is a shootout you give the bulletproof vests to the cops who are responding. Why did’t we take the same approach to the vaccine rollout?
Vaccination does reduce the likelihood of transmission as the viral load is considerably less and therefore infectiousness reduced accordingly. It’s a bit of a 2 pronged strategy - get those most at risk of exposure covered (frontline workers such as quarantine, border force, medical/healthcare, emergency services) and those most at risk of severe illness and death (elderly, vulnerable underlying medical conditions). These are being done in parallel and not one at the expense of the other.

My son has received his eligibility via the university, I believe they prioritised those in final year first and then cascaded downwards as the placement rotations are of an increasing duration the further into the course the students are in.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Vaccination does reduce the likelihood of transmission as the viral load is considerably less and therefore infectiousness reduced accordingly.
It has a double impact. Conservatively, 50% less likely to catch it. Then 50% less likely to pass it on due to lower viral load. So conservatively, 75% less likely to be transmitters.

The Royal Sampler

Floreat Pica, b*tch!
Nov 26, 2006
Hooray For Science, Woo!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies

But they were, weren’t they? ICU staff, airport workers and quarantine workers were in category 1, and then as a hospital worker I was in 2a…

PonsfordMagpie

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Same day as my next Pfizer.
My experience of the first was much the same as yours.
I have read that the second Pfizer is the one to expect any severe reactions. So Wednesday could be interesting.
Best of luck with it. Hopefully we’ll both hold up okay.

My brother is fully vaccinated with Pfizer and he said he didn’t feel any difference from the 1st and 2nd dose. Just a sore arm in both instances.

The Royal Sampler

Floreat Pica, b*tch!
Nov 26, 2006
Hooray For Science, Woo!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
Same day as my next Pfizer.
My experience of the first was much the same as yours.
I have read that the second Pfizer is the one to expect any severe reactions. So Wednesday could be interesting.
I know this thread is for first-hand experiences, but my wife had only a sore arm/armpit with Pfizer #1, whereas Pfizer #2 she felt ill for a couple of days. You may want to take the day off after your second Pfizer if possible.

PonsfordMagpie

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
^ Good stuff.

At the moment, my arm is sore since I last posted and I’m experiencing mild fatigue.

Should start to clear up tomorrow afternoon/night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TradeDraft

Premium Platinum
Oct 18, 2009
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hit the Pfizer wall at about 3pm today. Just wanted to crawl into bed, but saw my work out until knock off time.
A little “out of sync” this morning, just a touch “off”.
Anyway….

View attachment 1189734

Results worth it.
Open up world, here I come!
How can you get that Digital Certificate?

Might have to wait a bit before you can get out too far at the Moment

Vicky Park

Premium Platinum
Sep 11, 2012
Umm...
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reactions from the AZ are typically observed after the first shot. Extremely rare for issues after the second.
The Pfizer is the exact opposite.
I was really crook after my first AZ, for two days, chills, lethargy, aches and pains. Had my second AZ last week, and that night had a headache and vomitting which lasted for two-three hours, then all good.

The Royal Sampler

Floreat Pica, b*tch!
Nov 26, 2006
Hooray For Science, Woo!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
Still looking to wait for when it's easier to get bookings etc because that's the type of person I am.

But my mind has definitely gone from not getting it to definitely getting it when it's easier to get in.
Good stuff.

It may not prevent you from getting COVID, although your chances will be significantly improved, but it will definitely and very significantly lessen your risk of serious illness, hospitalization or death from COVID. And the risks from the disease vastly, VASTLY outweigh the risks from the vaccines available. Plus it also helps protect others who are vulnerable.

Antz

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still looking to wait for when it's easier to get bookings etc because that's the type of person I am.

But my mind has definitely gone from not getting it to definitely getting it when it's easier to get in.
I’m not sure of your age, but if you are eligible to book in now, just do it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

ipswichpies

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2011
queensland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Yesterday I had my 2nd AZ shot, a bit of soreness in the arm and slight chill in the body but nothing too bad much better to be vaccinated I think.

I have thought all along we would need a booster shot every year like the flu jab and the way things are changing all the time with the virus it is a certainty but that is nothing for piece of mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad