Covid19, the draft and trading all our 2020 picks

Remove this Banner Ad

brabs

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
With us trading just about all this years draft picks, Could this somehow work out in our favour? considering all the talk about reduced lists and short draft. Also it seems that all the kids won’t be able to show there wears as much, if at all, in the u18 carnival.
Or will we get shafted somehow?

With us trading just about all this years draft picks, Could this somehow work out in our favour? considering all the talk about reduced lists and short draft. Also it seems that all the kids won’t be able to show there wears as much, if at all, in the u18 carnival.

Yeah Vozzo knew the sneaky dog.

It may well be a smaller draft and indeed changes to the draft criteria. I can see only 2 rounds of draft picks happening.

In all reality, not having much draft capital in 2020 will be OK.

We will need to trust our recruiters to have done the work last year on this year's crop but I expect that already happened in giving input to the picks we were trading

Will be interesting how it plays out. Will the AFL season restart? If not, how does allocation of picks work? Will clubs need to turn over their list as per normal or will they increase list sizes? Be very unfair on a lot of fringe players who may lose their careers because they couldn't win their spot with form in 2020 (Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Brayshaw)

Under age comps are unlikely to restart i reckon, so drafting 2020 will be based on U16s form. Could be a lot of gems missed early. If ever there was a year you want to miss the early parts of the draft, 2020 seems like the year.

Our first pick will most likely be somewhere in the 30's.

Reduced list sizes could help us. If they cut 6 off each list, that would be around 50 extra players entering the draft and could push some young talent further down the list.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind trying to trade one of the 2019 WA boys. I feel like this years draft is so speculative because of the interruptions.

Another thing - Nakia Cockatoo will get delisted without a doubt now due to the reduced playing lists that will most likely come into effect after this season. Geelong gave him a 12 month extension as a last chance. We were keen on him, but Geelong got him a couple of picks before us (where have I heard that before) and we picked Duggan.

He has been injured a lot and is risky, but I don't trust Geelong's medical team, they have had a number of injured players that went on to other clubs and got on the field (eg Vardy).

After he gets delisted, he would become a delisted free agent. We should tell him not to nominate for the draft and come to us as a SPP.

Last edited:

Reduced list sizes could help us. If they cut 6 off each list, that would be around 50 extra players entering the draft and could push some young talent further down the list.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind trying to trade one of the 2019 WA boys. I feel like this years draft is so speculative because of the interruptions.

Another thing - Nakia Cockatoo will get delisted without a doubt now due to the reduced playing lists that will most likely come into effect after this season. Geelong gave him a 12 month extension as a last chance. We were keen on him, but Geelong got him a couple of picks before us (where have I heard that before) and we picked Duggan.

He has been injured a lot and is risky, but I don't trust Geelong's medical team, they have had a number of injured players that went on to other clubs and got on the field (eg Vardy).

After he gets delisted, he would become a delisted free agent. We should tell him not to nominate for the draft and come to us as a SPP.
Not a smart move recruiting injury prone players given reduced lists over the next couple of years

Not a smart move recruiting injury prone players given reduced lists over the next couple of years

I know, but when he is on the park, he is a game changer.

You're right that reduced lists means less margin to take risks on injury prone/speculative talent.

I just feel that Geelong's medical department aren't up to scratch. Linc Mcarthy hardly plays at Geelong, goes to Brisbane and plays every game in 2019, Geelong could hardly get Vardy on the park, yet he has been durable (if out of form) for us.

I think there was also someone who had injuries at Geelong and then went to Hawthorn and was fine.

I know, but when he is on the park, he is a game changer.

You're right that reduced lists means less margin to take risks on injury prone/speculative talent.

I just feel that Geelong's medical department aren't up to scratch. Linc Mcarthy hardly plays at Geelong, goes to Brisbane and plays every game in 2019, Geelong could hardly get Vardy on the park, yet he has been durable (if out of form) for us.

I think there was also someone who had injuries at Geelong and then went to Hawthorn and was fine.
Cockatoo has been on the list for 30 games in 5 years. He averages 9.6 disposals a game. He is an absolute dud. Sure, he looks like a superstar, but his body just isnt up to it. He has shown nothing to suggest he can become elite, other than one great under 18s game before the GF in 2014.

If they postpone the draft until next year we'd get shafted.

Would we?

Two draft cohorts in one draft!

Those 3rd rounders wont look too bad.

It would make some sense to skip a draft but I see the AFL would be desperste to retain some content to feed the media economy. Trade month and draft nights are key PR highlights of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting how it plays out. Will the AFL season restart? If not, how does allocation of picks work? Will clubs need to turn over their list as per normal or will they increase list sizes? Be very unfair on a lot of fringe players who may lose their careers because they couldn't win their spot with form in 2020 (Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Brayshaw)

Under age comps are unlikely to restart i reckon, so drafting 2020 will be based on U16s form. Could be a lot of gems missed early. If ever there was a year you want to miss the early parts of the draft, 2020 seems like the year.

And having later picks I like the sound of that.

Watch the Cats trade into the 2021 draft.

Cockatoo has been on the list for 30 games in 5 years. He averages 9.6 disposals a game. He is an absolute dud. Sure, he looks like a superstar, but his body just isnt up to it. He has shown nothing to suggest he can become elite, other than one great under 18s game before the GF in 2014.

Honestly how often has a talented but injury prone player gone to another club and suddenly become consistant and a longer period of time?

No matter which club it is rich or poor they ALL can get access to world class sport physicians. If one club can't get them up odds are no club can.

Would we?

Two draft cohorts in one draft!

Those 3rd rounders wont look too bad.

It would make some sense to skip a draft but I see the AFL would be desperste to retain some content to feed the media economy. Trade month and draft nights are key PR highlights of the season.

There's no reason to cancel an entire draft. The AFL provides an avenue for bringing players onto AFL lists, it does not care how clubs identify draft-worthy players. If no u18 comps take place why would the AFL care? Let the clubs figure out how to rate the kids.

I agree with your other post re trading out of 2020 and into 2021. Geelong won't be the only club wanting some certainty with their early picks. A club willing to take a punt on 2020 talent could really get value for their 2021 picks.

Eagles have been very astute in their use of the trade period over the last few years. From the infamous draft pick swap with GC to trading away effectively dud draft picks for TK.

Honestly how often has a talented but injury prone player gone to another club and suddenly become consistant and a longer period of time?

No matter which club it is rich or poor they ALL can get access to world class sport physicians. If one club can't get them up odds are no club can.

You dont go into too many Hawthorn threads then..;):cool::hawthorn:

Honestly the only one that comes to mind is Shaun Higgins (probably the pick of them all too)

I'd gladly take him if he went to Higgins level, but I don't see that happening, Higgins had also already shown signs at the dogs.

Honestly the only one that comes to mind is Shaun Higgins (probably the pick of them all too)

I'd gladly take him if he went to Higgins level, but I don't see that happening, Higgins had also already shown signs at the dogs.

Burgoyne from Port made an amazing recovery from knee problems moving to the Hawks. But he was already a premiership player.

O'Mera another.

I wouldnt be against getting Cockatoo this draft / SSP period for a 12 month contract. If all rookie contracts are cut then thats a problem as you would be comitting for two years.

Obviously will depend on list sizes and who we need to cut.

Fringe players Brayshaw, O'Neil, O'Neil, Treacy, Johnson, Vardy, Venables, Hutchings, Cole, Foley, Ainsworth, Watson, Rotham, Nelson.

Older players Schofield, Kennedy, Hurn

A harsh cut would be Brayshaw, Treacy, Johnson ex Cats, Vardy, Venables, Hutchings, Ainsworth , Cole, Foley plus Schofield and Kennedy retire. Thats 11.

Players we would not want to let go would be Rioli, Rotham, Nelson, Watson or Hickey.

Rioli could hopefully stay on as an inactive player but end of the day the club may just take a hard line approach to Willie not buying into club standards expecially drugs. Just watch Gold Coast pick him up for free. A trade to Gold Coast would be smart but likely not required.

If Rioli was cut as well as Treacy and Johnson taking a risk on Cockatoo would be acceptable.

Last edited:
I wouldnt be against getting Cockatoo this draft / SSP period for a 12 month contract. If all rookie contracts are cut then thats a problem as you would be comitting for two years.

Obviously will depend on list sizes and who we need to cut.

Fringe players Brayshaw, O'Neil, O'Neil, Treacy, Johnson, Vardy, Venables, Hutchings, Cole, Foley, Ainsworth, Watson, Rotham, Nelson.

Older players Schofield, Kennedy, Hurn

A harsh cut would be Brayshaw, Treacy, Johnson ex Cats, Vardy, Venables, Hutchings, Ainsworth , Cole, Foely plus Schofield and Kennedy retire. Thats 11.

Players we would not want to let go would be Rioli, Rotham, Nelson, Watson or Hickey.

Rioli could hopefully stay on as an inactive player but end of the day the club may just take a hard line approach to Willie not buying into club standards expecially drugs. Just watch Gold Coast pick him up for free. A trade to Gold Coast would be smart but likely not required.

If Rioki was cut as well as Treacy and Johnson taking a risk on Cockatoo would be acceptable.
I'd be cutting the likes of Redden ahead of X O'Neill. Kid is our only half decent young mid. Redden is 29 and fairly average.

I'd be cutting the likes of Redden ahead of X O'Neill. Kid is our only half decent young mid. Redden is 29 and fairly average.

I wouldnt be cutting either of them.

Hutchings would likely go in order to retain a Redden.

Both O'Neil's stay as we need midfielders developing and to add depth.

Oh and Redden is better than average. He's no superstar but a bloody decent role playing mid.

Last edited:
I wouldnt be cutting either of them.

Hutchings would likely go in order to retain a Redden.

Both O'Neil's stay as we need midfielders developing and to add depth.

Oh and Redden is better than average. He's no superstar but a bloody decent role playing mid.
I should have clarified by saying Redden has been average since the GF win. Not that he’s alone in that boat, but at 29 he’d want to show more than last year quickly especially with Kelly around now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back