Covid19, the draft and trading all our 2020 picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Without hearing any whispers, purely just a gut feel. I still think they hold a national championships this year, probably just later in the year. This will help determine the first 2 rounds in the draft.
But after that, will be tougher. There will be some gems late in the draft this year, the late bloomers that get overlooked. Surely some less exposed WA talent we could get as a bargain.

Without hearing any whispers, purely just a gut feel. I still think they hold a national championships this year, probably just later in the year. This will help determine the first 2 rounds in the draft.
But after that, will be tougher. There will be some gems late in the draft this year, the late bloomers that get overlooked. Surely some less exposed WA talent we could get as a bargain.
With the shrinking of the soft cap off-field, I’m thinking there might return to some local knowledge and hence advantage. That said, I’ve spotted some former WAFL players scouting at games and I suspect most were part time.

So the real issue might be relationships with local U18 coaches and inside knowledge. The PSA boys don’t get much of a chance when underage and I haven’t heard what the private schools will be doing. I did notice some colts teams training on Thursday last week at the foreshore. No body contact just running and a few kicks towards the end.

G’day guys, I’m a bored draft nuffie, so just reading other teams draft boards.

Just have a couple of little comments to add.
Our first pick will most likely be somewhere in the 30's.

Reduced list sizes could help us. If they cut 6 off each list, that would be around 50 extra players entering the draft and could push some young talent further down the list.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind trying to trade one of the 2019 WA boys. I feel like this years draft is so speculative because of the interruptions.

Another thing - Nakia Cockatoo will get delisted without a doubt now due to the reduced playing lists that will most likely come into effect after this season. Geelong gave him a 12 month extension as a last chance. We were keen on him, but Geelong got him a couple of picks before us (where have I heard that before) and we picked Duggan.

He has been injured a lot and is risky, but I don't trust Geelong's medical team, they have had a number of injured players that went on to other clubs and got on the field (eg Vardy).

After he gets delisted, he would become a delisted free agent. We should tell him not to nominate for the draft and come to us as a SPP.
A player has to nominate for the draft to be available during the SSP, it’s one of the rules.
Has to be the same rules for everyone, can't go looking after one team because they traded into 2020. Trading future picks is always a gamble even if no one could predict a pandemic.

There was plenty of talk last year that the 2020 draft wasn't that great with a lot of NGA eligible players pushing the value of picks down the order. We could argue that with this in mind we made the decision to focus on 2021 and onward and if that draft is compromised it's not fair on us...
Our recruiting manager has said (on the clubs podcast), that the top of this year’s draft, before Geelong’s pick 11, won’t that compromised.

It will be the later half of the first round, and second round that will be most affected by nga’s and father son bids and matching.

As for what this years, and future drafts look like.

My guess is this years draft most likely goes for two rounds, and then any team that still wants a pick at the end will be allowed to have one.

Some teams, especially those with multiple first and second round picks, might consider trading a second round pick this year for a second round pick next year.

It’s unlikely a team trades a first round pick this year for a second round pick next year.

Unless it’s a team like Collingwood trading it’s first round pick to a team it expects to finish low next year, say a team like Fremantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back