Resource COVID19 V - The Info Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I only had my first dose yesterday, been crook with mild pneumonia for more than a month so kept postponing it, finally did it yesterday even though I’m not fully over it. Hoping it still does what it’s supposed to do. No side effects at all really, apart from a slightly dead feeling arm today. Was an interesting experience. Went to the one at Joondalup shops. Saw a kid there screaming and trying to run out of the booth and his Mum dragging him back in, that was slightly entertaining, but unnerving for my 7 year old who tagged along to watch me get a needle 😂 then a bloke behind me in the 15 minute waiting chairs took a turn about 10 minutes after his jab, pretty much passed out, looked completely out of it after walking in a fit young dude. They got the wheel chair out and whisked him away behind a partition at the front of the room, nothing to see here, carry on everyone!!! Think he was ok, saw him lying down with a juice box in his hand, but it was like something out of a bad movie!!

I only had my first dose yesterday, been crook with mild pneumonia for more than a month so kept postponing it, finally did it yesterday even though I’m not fully over it. Hoping it still does what it’s supposed to do. No side effects at all really, apart from a slightly dead feeling arm today. Was an interesting experience. Went to the one at Joondalup shops. Saw a kid there screaming and trying to run out of the booth and his Mum dragging him back in, that was slightly entertaining, but unnerving for my 7 year old who tagged along to watch me get a needle 😂 then a bloke behind me in the 15 minute waiting chairs took a turn about 10 minutes after his jab, pretty much passed out, looked completely out of it after walking in a fit young dude. They got the wheel chair out and whisked him away behind a partition at the front of the room, nothing to see here, carry on everyone!!! Think he was ok, saw him lying down with a juice box in his hand, but it was like something out of a bad movie!!

Can I have a juice?
No, those are for kids only, like MIKE85 's 7 year old.
*passes out*
*gets juice*
:moustache:

It was actually a bit confronting, especially with me having a few (irrational or not) worries about side effects and the heart issues for males in my age range. Doesn’t fill me with confidence for the second jab. See what happens I guess.

We should really be doing what Florida has done and open up multiple covid treatment clinics .
As soon as you test positive for covid you are allowed to go to a clinic and receive monoclonal antibodies and vitamin C + D injection

Have mobile clinics for the aged care facilities , the most at risk categorie

Putting all our eggs in the vaccine basket and not trying to treat covid once you have it unless you end up hospitalised is a very 1 dimensional approach.

These clinics would take the strain off the hospital system

Florida are desperate, we haven't reached that point in Australia - yet - and hopefully we never will. As far as I know all treatments are at the emergency use authorisation stage in the US. As highlighted by authorities, for the sake of your health and the health of those around you, and the health system, it is far better to vaccinate, than to not and rely on treatments that of course are not guaranteed to save you from serious illness or death.

That being said, of course we still should prepare for that contingency because that's just being prudent. We cannot shut out COVID forever, and some future vaccines and treatments may not be as effective as we thought.

Remdesivir and sotrovimbab have already been approved. Molnupiravir I think is well on the way. And unlike last year we're not making the mistake of passing up the option to purchase stockpiles of them, so at least credit to the Federal Government for that. All three seem like they work for symptomatic cases.

Yeah not sure Florida should be held up as the gold standard.

Unless the measure is hillbillies eaten by alligators.

Are you talking about the same Florida that has the lowest rate of new COVID cases per capita of all 50 states in America with no mandates, no vaccine passports and few restrictions?

Yeah not sure Florida should be held up as the gold standard.

Unless the measure is hillbillies eaten by alligators.
Certainly not. A state with 8 times WA population but with 6000 times more Covid Death!

Edit: Affected by Covid performance, Perth scored 93.3 points ranked number 6 most livable city in the world while Tallahassee (Capital of Florida) scored only 63 points outside top 100.

Last edited:
Probably because the virus has already torn through the joint.
Is that the scientific evidence is it??? thanks for that.

Meanwhile SA have just announced double vaxed people from all states from the 23rd November will be able to enter SA without quarantine. Least will give McGowan another chance to puff the chest out and proudly close the border to there until the new year.

Are you talking about the same Florida that has the lowest rate of new COVID cases per capita of all 50 states in America with no mandates, no vaccine passports and few restrictions?

I wouldn’t mind knowing where that stat had come from. They’re averaging 1,714 cases and 94 deaths per day: https://usafacts.org/visualizations/coronavirus-covid-19-spread-map/state/florida

If that translates to the lowest per capita of all 50 states then the US is truly ****ed.

Is that the scientific evidence is it??? thanks for that.

Meanwhile SA have just announced double vaxed people from all states from the 23rd November will be able to enter SA without quarantine. Least will give McGowan another chance to puff the chest out and proudly close the border to there until the new year.
No. Why would you think that? It was just a musing of why it would be the case, with the logical conclusion being that there are less people left there to be infected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attention unvaccinated West Australians: come to SA while you can, because once we're more vaccinated it will be too dangerous for us to let you in. 🤷‍♂️
Huh?

Seriously just hard border everyone to save people the pain you plonker… such a predictable arrogant move who now is just openly lying about other states and xmas and it goes unchallenged.

Seriously just hard border everyone to save people the pain you plonker… such a predictable arrogant move who now is just openly lying about other states and xmas and it goes unchallenged.

What’s the open lie?

I just assumed we'd be closed off to everyone once they opened to NSW/Vic so I don't know what's surprising about it

The question is how long he can sustain it (and people will tolerate it) when the rest of the nation can move freely amongst each other and were locked off totally from the world

What’s the open lie?
I wouldn't call it a lie, but it is well worth asking why most states can open part of their border at 80% vaccination and WA can't even make a commitment at this stage. SA is an interesting one, as they've had less lockdowns than us, so arguably have just as much to lose.

It's also interesting to ask where the medical advice has gone. We used to be told it was the basis of all decisions, but it's hard to believe that is still the case given other states can move forward and WA can't even tell people the roadmap.

I suspect WA will make an announcement soon with some exemptions to the border controls once we get to 80% vaccinated. It may just be that vaccinated people can enter with quarantine, but at least that is a start.

Florida already had one of the highest number of COVID cases per capita since the pandemic began, ranking 7th out of all 50 US States.

Their positive test rate is also extremely high (3.6 million positive cases out of 41.4 million tests, or about 8.7% positive test rate - for reference, New York is at about 3.5%, Texas at about 10% and Australia is 0.38%) which indicates a vast underestimation of the true number of cases if you have a positive test rate past 5% (sources: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing)

Relevant portion:

The positive rate is a good metric for how adequately countries are testing because it indicates the level of testing relative to the size of the outbreak. To be able to properly monitor and control the spread of the virus, countries with more widespread outbreaks need to do more testing.

According to criteria published by WHO in May 2020, a positive rate of less than 5% is one indicator that the epidemic is under control in a country.1

Because limited testing makes it likely that many cases will be missed, the positive rate can also help our understanding of the spread of the virus. In countries with a high positive rate, the number of confirmed cases is likely to represent only a small fraction of the true number of infections. And where the positive rate is rising in a country, this can suggest the virus is actually spreading faster than the growth seen in confirmed cases.

Considering their total population is only 21 million, it is quite possible herd immunity is already kicking in to slow the spread. combined with the vaccination rollout which - although only about half are fully vaccinated - will still have a noticeable effect on the spread of COVID.

I wouldn't call it a lie, but it is well worth asking why most states can open part of their border at 80% vaccination and WA can't even make a commitment at this stage. SA is an interesting one, as they've had less lockdowns than us, so arguably have just as much to lose.

It's also interesting to ask where the medical advice has gone. We used to be told it was the basis of all decisions, but it's hard to believe that is still the case given other states can move forward and WA can't even tell people the roadmap.

I suspect WA will make an announcement soon with some exemptions to the border controls once we get to 80% vaccinated. It may just be that vaccinated people can enter with quarantine, but at least that is a start.

Im sorry but at 80% vaccinated people aren’t going to do quarantine. Its a thing consigned to history in other states within the next 6 weeks….

It's clearly because our hospital system is a shambles and we couldn't even handle a relatively small outbreak.

What are people peoples thoughts on still being locked down if we have rising case numbers but we have surpassed 80% fully vaccinated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back