Resource COVID19 V - The Info Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Doherty modelling wasn’t scary enough for him, he needed something to back up his closure for longer….

He says he doesn’t want a supposedly 200 deaths on his conscience., maybe he should reduce the speed limit down to 30km everywhere. That will save a few lives.. what about the other 37 causes of death last year which with higher death rates than covid?
More americans died of covid last year than all the wars of the 20th century put together.

Their worst daily death toll of any cause in their history is covid

As was the second

And the third

And the fourth

And the fifth

I cant remember exactly how many rows you had to go down before you found one that wasnt covid

But then it was covid again for a bunch more

And you are trying to conflate it with a country that has it mostly controlled?

Do you do a quick lap of the mens toilet and say “this is proof that theres no such thing as women” as well?

The WA Government has introduced new deadlines for mandatory vaccinations.

Workers in the meat industry, resources industry, fire and emergency services, and WA Police, will need to be partially vaccinated by December 1 to be able to enter their workplace under new public health orders published today.

They will need to be fully vaccinated by January 1, 2022.

It comes as part of the government's plan to phase mandatory vaccinations into the majority of WA workforces.

WA workers who fail to comply with the mandate can face a fine of up to $20,000.

Meanwhile, there have been no cases of COVID-19 reported in WA, but authorities are monitoring 126 contacts who have returned to the state after visiting exposure sites in the Northern Territory and Queensland.

MORE ON COVID | https://bit.ly/MoreOnCovid

PERTH NEWS | https://bit.ly/ABCPerthNews

WA NEWS | https://bit.ly/ABCWANews

Vaxx and long covid ^^

In hospital, Covid-19 has largely become a disease of the unvaccinated. The man in his 20s who had always watched what he ate, worked out in the gym, was too healthy to ever catch Covid badly. The 48-year-old who never got round to making the appointment.

The person in their 50s whose friend had side-effects. The woman who wanted to wait for more evidence. The young pregnant lady worried about the effect on her baby.

The 60-year-old, brought to hospital with oxygen saturations of 70% by the ambulance that he initially called for his partner, who had died by the time it arrived; both believed that the drug companies bribed the government to get the vaccine approved.

All severely ill with Covid. All unvaccinated and previously healthy. All completely avoidable.

Of course, there are people who have their vaccinations but still get sick. These people may be elderly or frail, or have underlying health problems. Those with illnesses affecting the immune system, particularly patients who have had chemotherapy for blood cancers, are especially vulnerable. Some unlucky healthy people will also end up on our general wards with Covid after being vaccinated, usually needing a modest amount of oxygen for a few days.

But the story is different on our intensive care unit. Here, the patient population consists of a few vulnerable people with severe underlying health problems and a majority of fit, healthy, younger people unvaccinated by choice. Watching the mix of patients coming in with Covid, it feels to me like hardly anybody has been vaccinated nowadays; of course, this is because the people that have been vaccinated are getting on with their lives at home. If everyone got vaccinated, hospitals would be under much less pressure; this is beyond debate. Your wait for your clinic appointment/operation/diagnostic test/A&E department would be shorter. Your ambulance would arrive sooner. Reports of the pressure on the NHS are not exaggerated, I promise you.

Furthermore, we have recently rolled out a new medication for patients without antibodies against Covid. It costs about £2,000 a treatment and is subject to a rigorous and time-consuming approval process for every case we treat. Guess which patients don’t have these antibodies (spoiler: it’s not the ones who have been vaccinated).

Most of the resources that we are devoting to Covid in hospital are now being spent on the unvaccinated.

Yes, vaccinations are unpleasant. They cause side-effects. They hurt. You may even still catch Covid afterwards. I have many colleagues who have felt awful after vaccination and a few who had to take a day or two off work. However, I have not heard of any who have been hospitalised with Covid afterwards or who have had severe side-effects. The approvals process was incredibly stringent and we now have an unbelievable amount of real-world data that these vaccines work. The science that has been applied here is nothing short of awe-inspiring to me. However, I realise that none of these rational arguments would change the mind of someone who is resolved against having it, although I suppose it may push someone who remains undecided.

As a respiratory doctor, I have spent my whole career treating people whose lung diseases have been caused by smoking, including long after they knew the risks. I have spent countless hours with people who blame themselves for ruining their health; I have thought a lot about our personal responsibility for our health and to what degree we should be held accountable for our choices. I personally – unlike some of my colleagues – have never felt any ambivalence about treating smokers without judgment in exactly the same way as people with diseases that are not seen as self-inflicted.

Enshrined in the way we protect patients’ autonomy is the recognition that others may reasonably make decisions we may see as irrational or wrong. We are all products of our upbringing, education and opportunities, and I have been hugely fortunate that in my case these have led me to make decisions I value. Who is to say I wouldn’t have made different choices in someone else’s shoes.

Translating this to the choice not to take the vaccine, however, I find my patience wearing thin. I think this is for a number of reasons. Even if you are not worried about your own risk from Covid, you cannot know the risk of the people into whose faces you may cough; there is a dangerous and selfish element to this that I find hard to stomach.

Some of my frustration is directed upwards, at the flagrant misinformation flourishing in certain places and the utterly woeful example that our leaders continue to set. I have never heard a reason not to take the vaccine that I have agreed with. Most of all, however, I am now beaten back, exhausted, worn down by the continuous stream of people that we battle to treat when they have consciously passed up the opportunity to save themselves. It does make me angry.

Despite this, I find the idea of NHS and care staff being forced to be vaccinated very difficult. I know that it is the right outcome, but I dislike the means of bringing it about. It is incredible to me that there is so much anxiety and falsehood around that this could possibly be necessary after the year we have all witnessed. How strong is the hold that this information has on people that it outweighs rational thought?

Maybe it’s just that others have not seen what I have recently, or do not believe it, but even now we have nurses on our Covid ward who have not been vaccinated. I just hope that we don’t end up losing yet more staff.

Fundamentally though, for me, it comes down to this. I can’t think of a single case offhand of a person who was previously fit and healthy who has ended up needing intensive care after being fully vaccinated. It may not stop you from catching Covid. But it can save your life when you do.

The writer is an NHS respiratory consultant who works across a number of hospitals

Link to the article posted above by kranky al

I see we have slipped back to last in the vaccination rates for all States & Territories. There appears to be 2 things that cause a pick up in rates, cases & a border opening date. As we have neither of these currently I expect WA will just meander slowly along.

Have liked what the WA Govt has done for the most part but feel it was a mistake to not set a date to open, say a week after New Years give those a chance who have been separated from family for nearly 2 years to re-unite during school holidays.

Link to the article posted above by kranky al

I see we have slipped back to last in the vaccination rates for all States & Territories. There appears to be 2 things that cause a pick up in rates, cases & a border opening date. As we have neither of these currently I expect WA will just meander slowly along.

Have liked what the WA Govt has done for the most part but feel it was a mistake to not set a date to open, say a week after New Years give those a chance who have been separated from family for nearly 2 years to re-unite during school holidays.
Yeah im coming around to the idea now. With all the anti vax idiocy on facebook going around amongst all the year 9 biology (and most other subjects) d through to to fail marks who can barely spell let alone dO tHeiR resEaRch i think its probably time to force peoples hand along with a blitz of advertising.

would like to see some aboriginal sports stars pushing it to get indigenous rates up too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure SPS was even settled in before he was pimping the vaccines. Ernie Dingo is heading up norf too :thumbsu:

Death threats and racial abuse, pretty vile behavior from the Anti-vaxx crew

Death threats and racial abuse, pretty vile behavior from the Anti-vaxx crew
Always seems to be the antivaxxers promoting death threats and violence hmmm

curious-very-curious-harry-potter.gif

In hospital, Covid-19 has largely become a disease of the unvaccinated. The man in his 20s who had always watched what he ate, worked out in the gym, was too healthy to ever catch Covid badly. The 48-year-old who never got round to making the appointment.

The person in their 50s whose friend had side-effects. The woman who wanted to wait for more evidence. The young pregnant lady worried about the effect on her baby.

The 60-year-old, brought to hospital with oxygen saturations of 70% by the ambulance that he initially called for his partner, who had died by the time it arrived; both believed that the drug companies bribed the government to get the vaccine approved.

All severely ill with Covid. All unvaccinated and previously healthy. All completely avoidable.

Of course, there are people who have their vaccinations but still get sick. These people may be elderly or frail, or have underlying health problems. Those with illnesses affecting the immune system, particularly patients who have had chemotherapy for blood cancers, are especially vulnerable. Some unlucky healthy people will also end up on our general wards with Covid after being vaccinated, usually needing a modest amount of oxygen for a few days.

But the story is different on our intensive care unit. Here, the patient population consists of a few vulnerable people with severe underlying health problems and a majority of fit, healthy, younger people unvaccinated by choice. Watching the mix of patients coming in with Covid, it feels to me like hardly anybody has been vaccinated nowadays; of course, this is because the people that have been vaccinated are getting on with their lives at home. If everyone got vaccinated, hospitals would be under much less pressure; this is beyond debate. Your wait for your clinic appointment/operation/diagnostic test/A&E department would be shorter. Your ambulance would arrive sooner. Reports of the pressure on the NHS are not exaggerated, I promise you.

Furthermore, we have recently rolled out a new medication for patients without antibodies against Covid. It costs about £2,000 a treatment and is subject to a rigorous and time-consuming approval process for every case we treat. Guess which patients don’t have these antibodies (spoiler: it’s not the ones who have been vaccinated).

Most of the resources that we are devoting to Covid in hospital are now being spent on the unvaccinated.

Yes, vaccinations are unpleasant. They cause side-effects. They hurt. You may even still catch Covid afterwards. I have many colleagues who have felt awful after vaccination and a few who had to take a day or two off work. However, I have not heard of any who have been hospitalised with Covid afterwards or who have had severe side-effects. The approvals process was incredibly stringent and we now have an unbelievable amount of real-world data that these vaccines work. The science that has been applied here is nothing short of awe-inspiring to me. However, I realise that none of these rational arguments would change the mind of someone who is resolved against having it, although I suppose it may push someone who remains undecided.

As a respiratory doctor, I have spent my whole career treating people whose lung diseases have been caused by smoking, including long after they knew the risks. I have spent countless hours with people who blame themselves for ruining their health; I have thought a lot about our personal responsibility for our health and to what degree we should be held accountable for our choices. I personally – unlike some of my colleagues – have never felt any ambivalence about treating smokers without judgment in exactly the same way as people with diseases that are not seen as self-inflicted.

Enshrined in the way we protect patients’ autonomy is the recognition that others may reasonably make decisions we may see as irrational or wrong. We are all products of our upbringing, education and opportunities, and I have been hugely fortunate that in my case these have led me to make decisions I value. Who is to say I wouldn’t have made different choices in someone else’s shoes.

Translating this to the choice not to take the vaccine, however, I find my patience wearing thin. I think this is for a number of reasons. Even if you are not worried about your own risk from Covid, you cannot know the risk of the people into whose faces you may cough; there is a dangerous and selfish element to this that I find hard to stomach.

Some of my frustration is directed upwards, at the flagrant misinformation flourishing in certain places and the utterly woeful example that our leaders continue to set. I have never heard a reason not to take the vaccine that I have agreed with. Most of all, however, I am now beaten back, exhausted, worn down by the continuous stream of people that we battle to treat when they have consciously passed up the opportunity to save themselves. It does make me angry.

Despite this, I find the idea of NHS and care staff being forced to be vaccinated very difficult. I know that it is the right outcome, but I dislike the means of bringing it about. It is incredible to me that there is so much anxiety and falsehood around that this could possibly be necessary after the year we have all witnessed. How strong is the hold that this information has on people that it outweighs rational thought?

Maybe it’s just that others have not seen what I have recently, or do not believe it, but even now we have nurses on our Covid ward who have not been vaccinated. I just hope that we don’t end up losing yet more staff.

Fundamentally though, for me, it comes down to this. I can’t think of a single case offhand of a person who was previously fit and healthy who has ended up needing intensive care after being fully vaccinated. It may not stop you from catching Covid. But it can save your life when you do.

The writer is an NHS respiratory consultant who works across a number of hospitals

Pretty good news here. Tests required for domestic travelling essentially free
This annoys me because there should be pressure to remove the requirement for the tests, rather than agreeing to pay for them. They are impractical and fly in the face of living with COVID.

Yesterday I saw a travel page promoting a $75 test you can get done in the airport and returned in 90 mins. Idea is that you land for your 2 day trip away, get the test on arrival (when you obviously won't have been exposed yet) then return two days later with a negative test (it is valid within 3 days of return). What a joke!

If we are living with COVID, why do we care if someone contracts it inter-state and returns to WA? It is spreading anyway. Watch for them to start doing things like forcing groups of passengers into quarantine because one person tests negative. That will do wonders for encouraging people to fly again.

This annoys me because there should be pressure to remove the requirement for the tests, rather than agreeing to pay for them. They are impractical and fly in the face of living with COVID.

Yesterday I saw a travel page promoting a $75 test you can get done in the airport and returned in 90 mins. Idea is that you land for your 2 day trip away, get the test on arrival (when you obviously won't have been exposed yet) then return two days later with a negative test (it is valid within 3 days of return). What a joke!

If we are living with COVID, why do we care if someone contracts it inter-state and returns to WA? It is spreading anyway. Watch for them to start doing things like forcing groups of passengers into quarantine because one person tests negative. That will do wonders for encouraging people to fly again.

Its a step in the right direction at least. I imagine a few months of the govt forking out they'll move past it pretty quick, probably to the rapid antigen testing first. Also from that article

"Mr Hunt had written to the Queensland Health Minister to "raise concerns" over why the state is testing travellers and questioning why it wasn't considering rapid antigen testing.

He referenced an Australian Health Protection Principal Committee statement saying "large-scale, non-targeted, asymptomatic testing in Australia should be strongly discouraged"."

Virus mutations will be an annual event. They'll just have to keep updating the vaccine to deal with them. People's immunity from one strain won't necessarily go away for the other, either (once theyve been infected).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back