Cox and Ryan - number one defensive partnership????

Moonrat

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here it is! My virgin thread!

Ryan is an absolutely fantastic defender. In the air, on the ground, leadership, skill, nous. His all round game is as good as I've seen at our club in a long time. Leadership group next year or I'll eat my hat.

And his wingman bromance mate Cox. Is really developing at light speed.

They are exuding confidence and control and it's rubbing off on the whole team.

They rarely lose one on ones. They outmark, spoil, roll off and shut down entry after entry.

We are one of the best defences in the comp.

Do Pearce, Hamling and Logue simply come back in when fit? We've all assumed so. Now, I'm not so sure.

May 30, 2011
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
Here it is! My virgin thread!

Ryan is an absolutely fantastic defender. In the air, on the ground, leadership, skill, nous. His all round game is as good as I've seen at our club in a long time. Leadership group next year or I'll eat my hat.

And his wingman bromance mate Cox. Is really developing at light speed.

They are exuding confidence and control and it's rubbing off on the whole team.

They rarely lose one on ones. They outmark, spoil, roll off and shut down entry after entry.

We are one of the best defences in the comp.

Do Pearce, Hamling and Logue simply come back in when fit? We've all assumed so. Now, I'm not so sure.
I think Cox has to be the first picked tall defender from now on until the rest can prove long term fitness.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
logue can play on smalls very well. Hamling gets by on smalls. Question is can we play hamling, pearce, logue and cox. Geelong have a defence of 190cm plus why can't we.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
logue can play on smalls very well. Hamling gets by on smalls. Question is can we play hamling, pearce, logue and cox. Geelong have a defence of 190cm plus why can't we.
We could if they could use the ball. Whoever's playing that third tall role has to be able to launch attacks as well, I'd say it's only Logue that's capable there. None of the others can warrant selection based on stopping smalls, so to me it's a pretty solid no. It really becomes hard to call who's in/out though.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle

Cox is doing really well, especially after how bad his first game back was but......

Let's not forget how good Hamling and Pearce are. They are elite KPD and recency biaise is probably playing a part with all the Cox love being shown around here at the moment.

If the new coaching setup has allowed a limited player like Cox to thrive how well will Hamling and Pearce go?

Cox is going well at the moment, especially with Ryan's guidance.

Deveraux

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
The amount of growth Cox has shown (no jokes plz!!) in the last few weeks makes me feel he will surpass AP and Hamling. AP we know has the potential to be the best in the comp but some serious questions around longevity.
With this team defence going so well, I would be stoked with Cox, Logue, Ryan.
I hope a contract is announced soon for Cox as the SA clubs will be coming hard.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

Cox is doing really well, especially after how bad his first game back was but......

Let's not forget how good Hamling and Pearce are. They are elite KPD and recency biaise is probably playing a part with all the Cox love being shown around here at the moment.

If the new coaching setup has allowed a limited player like Cox to thrive how well will Hamling and Pearce go?

Hamling and Pearce are better defensively but Cox is improving rapidly.

Cox is far better user of the ball than Hamling and Pearce.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do you expect both Hamling and Pearce to last 4 more than seasons?

Best available talent with our first round pick.

What we shouldn't do is reach for player.
No idea about those two but Logue definitely will, and clearly 2nd round KPDs and 4th round flankers can defend so why waste pick ~9 on a KPD?

Don't want unless Hamling and Pearce literally both retire and even then only if he is clearly best available.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

I don’t think Cox is a limited player. He reads the game beautifully, knows when to leave his man and when to defend. He has a beautiful sidestep that consistently wrong foots the opposition and he is a very good field kick. There is a reason why he was an U18 AA CHB. He was played out of position and lacked confidence under Lyon but on current output he is a best 22 defender at most clubs I would have thought.

Nolo180

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in time
AFL Club
Fremantle
As good as both have been we've still got a weakness against the big gorilla full forward. Hawkins, Kennedy, Dixon, Lynch etc. That's where we miss Pearce.
Agreed. But I dont miss his disposal by foot! And Hamblings kicking can only be considered neat and tidy too.

We seem to rebound so much quicker now. Im not sure how much you can put this down to overall team make-up, coaching or covid etc though...?

Back