Cox and Ryan - number one defensive partnership????

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m just surprised it’s taken so long to play Cox down back. We drafted him as an U18 AA defender and then proceeded to play him up front for three years...in hindsight it just makes no sense.
eh, someone with his marking ability is going to be pretty attractive to play at either of the ground and he showed plenty forward as well (if his set shots were any good he'd be far better up forward than he was last year)

Cox is doing really well, especially after how bad his first game back was but......

Let's not forget how good Hamling and Pearce are. They are elite KPD and recency biaise is probably playing a part with all the Cox love being shown around here at the moment.

If the new coaching setup has allowed a limited player like Cox to thrive how well will Hamling and Pearce go?

Cox is going well at the moment, especially with Ryan's guidance.

Yep. Stand by this.

They weren't great either but the main problem really wasn't our defence. What the **** happened to our well orchestrated team defence? It's like the whole team collectively thought "nah, can't be ****ed".

They weren't great either but the main problem really wasn't our defence. What the **** happened to our well orchestrated team defence? It's like the whole team collectively thought "nah, can't be f’ed".

It's suddenly obvious why JLo likes Colyer, and played Frederick. The team defence doesn't work as well if there isn't some guy putting on constant pace and pressure from our forward 50 running back into the midfield. Henry doesn't run both ways and Crowden was OK but still a bit off his game today.
we really missed that fast half forward today

Their partnership is becoming insane. Absolutely love the fact that when asked about Cox's contract status Longmuir's basically said he won't leave Luke! (not exactly in those words but enough to celebrate the bromance)

So how does our back 6 or 7 shape up for next season??

We somehow need to fit in Pearce, Hamling, Logue and Young.

this is the part where we be glad to just be fans and not the people in charge of these decisions haha

For me only one of Hamling and Pearce should play. Both are tremendous stoppers but offer little in rebound. So Pearce gets in and Hamling starts to look shakey.

Wilson Pearce Logue
Hughes Ryan Young

Depth in: Cox, Duman, Hamling, Watson etc.

Cox>Logue

Yeah I said it.

Cox is a smarter footballer, better kick, better mark than Logue.

Logue is just fitter and stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For me only one of Hamling and Pearce should play. Both are tremendous stoppers but offer little in rebound. So Pearce gets in and Hamling starts to look shakey.

Wilson Pearce Logue
Hughes Ryan Young

Depth in: Cox, Duman, Hamling, Watson etc.
I agree but i think i would have Cox in for Hughes and Logue play in Hughes position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilson - Hamling - Young
Hughes - Pearce - Ryan

Logue on the bench or possibly in place of Hughes. Cox is still quite young and if things don't pan out with one of the back 6 he is straight back in.

It's easy to forget just how good Pearce and Hamling are and how much rebound we will have with Ryan intercepting everything and then being able to have Young and Wilson for the release kick.

Could be glorious.

Going to be great to have such competition for spots and genuine depth. I see the best backline becoming:
Ryan, Cox, Wilson
Hill, Pearce, Young.
Logue the defensive rotation.

Yet, that leaves Conca, Hamling, Hughes, Duman, and Watson outside the starting squad, which is pretty nuts as they arguably all deserve to be in.

Good luck to the coaching staff settling on a best backline.

This is a sign of a premiership quality list. Can see a similar level of competition building for midfield spots. Not quite for the forward line yet, though we will have a squeeze for small forward spots in the near future.

No ones going to want to leave what’s brewing at Freo to go to a shithole city like Adelaide and play for a shithole basketcase of a club like Adelaide. Do I mention Adelaide? Born in SA or not. He’s free now.
Many many many people would have said that about Freo after our disastrous 2016.

Nek minnit

Hill
Hamling
McCarthy
Kersten
Wilson
Matera
Hogan
Lobb
Conca
Colyer
Acres
Aish

7 best 22 (maybe 25)
1 traded (bought low, sold high)
2 delisted
1 with a foot out the door
1 decent depth player

Adelaide could well try and follow the Freo model and start bring SA players home (hands off Aish). So far it’s working for us.

I thought they’d be more the boutique beer kind of guys.

I think after watching the Fathers Day video put together by the club, where they filmed the kids, partners and parents of players, that Mr Ryan Snr gave me the cue.

Ryan Snr looks to love a brew, but he doesn’t look like a beer snob. He’s got the look of, “ give me an ice cold frothy “. As such, I don’t see Luke and his partner as too picky.

Jeez that 2016 Draft is a sleeper - Cox, Darcy, Logue. Ryan and Duman - four 22yo & a 24yo - all a chance to be part of our next Grand Final squad!
The depth in that draft is insane, you’d have more chance missing water, falling out of boat then not getting a couple of b22 players out of it

If Hamling can get back, it’s the perfect mix.
Pearce is a massive question mark. He’ll be 2 seasons out of football by the time he gets back.What’s the status with his injury.. not as optimistic. Hamling, at this season, was a bad ankle break.

If Hamling can get back, it’s the perfect mix.
Pearce is a massive question mark. He’ll be 2 seasons out of football by the time he gets back.What’s the status with his injury.. not as optimistic. Hamling, at this season, was a bad ankle break.
Crazy. This post 4 months ago would have had me seriously concerned. Now I’m like, with Logue back we have a perfectly good young backline who have the 4the least conceded points in the league.

Either Pearce and/ or Hamling returning is a great result but not critical to a strong backline in 2021 and beyond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back