Mr Crow!

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2004
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
PS: CAN SOMEONE POST A POLL BETWEEN CRAIG AND EADE... I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT! THANKS!

Crows Eade's best bet
03 August 2004 Herald Sun
Mark Robinson and Jon Pierik

IF Rodney Eade is to return to senior coaching next year, his best bet seems to be in Adelaide.
Lyon: Scarlett packs punch
Round 18 injury list
Round 18 photos
Women have a go
Fans go wild

Running out of options: Adelaide is the firming favourite for Rodney Eade's coaching future.
Picture: Stephen Cooper

And despite reports last night, the former Swans coach is still in the mix at Punt Rd.

Tigers football director Greg Miller last night denied Eade had been told he was not the required man at Punt Rd.

A source close to Eade also confirmed the Tigers had not closed the door on the coaching position.

A meeting planned for yesterday between Miller and Eade has been postponed until the end of the week.

"Nothing has been decided," Miller said.

"It's not even on the agenda at tonight's (Tuesday) board meeting."

Eade was interviewed by Adelaide officials last week and will make a final, formal presentation to their sub-committee next week.

The Crows will decide who their preferred candidate is soon after, with interim coach Neil Craig the current favourite in what has been narrowed to a two-man race.

Wallace last night ruled himself out of the Adelaide position.

"A couple of years ago I would have been prepared to go to Sydney," he said.

"It's more so (now) they have an interim coach in place who seems to have the support of the whole Adelaide public.

"I have spoken to (Crows chief executive) Steven Trigg and the situation I was given was to go over there as one of five or six to go and present to them.

"My thoughts were why would I go and give my intellectual property to them if I am going to coach another club?"

Eade would like to coach in Melbourne but it's understood he realises Wallace is the preferred candidate of both Hawthorn and Richmond.

"It's up to Richmond and Hawthorn to make their choice," a source close to Eade said.

"They have to decide who they want."

It's felt Eade's best chance of securing one of the Melbourne positions is if Wallace, his former premiership teammate, joins the Hawks.

Hawthorn is believed to be leaning towards Gary Ayres as its back-up option.

The Hawks had an informal chat by phone with Eade last week but haven't spoken to him since.

Eade had expected to receive a call from Hawks football director Dermott Brereton yesterday.

Eade has formally received an offer to join the Magpies as Collingwood's high-performance coach, an option he is still seriously considering.

What I think would be great is if we could have the BEST of both worlds... appoint Rodney Eade as senior coach, and keep Neil Craig as an assistant.

Eade is meant to be a brilliant match day coach, whilst on the other hand, Craig is meant to be a brilliant preperation coach.

Why not have them both?

Let's hope that Craig would show the grace and humility to remain around the club. If Neil Craig doesn't get the job next year, then he has blown his chances of a senior AFL coaching position. After all, didn't he reject an offer by West Coast in 2001?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back