Craig Hutchison - North to Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmanian Kangaroos. It has a good ring to it. There are just way too many teams in VIC and out of all clubs, I think it would genuinely be the best for North to go. Sure, some of their fans are hardcore, but they will still keep the "kangaroo" branding, so they will get used to it. Also, look at how they treated their veterans...you get what you deserve, I guess, as the saying goes.

Tasmanian Kangaroos. It has a good ring to it. There are just way too many teams in VIC and out of all clubs, I think it would genuinely be the best for North to go. Sure, some of their fans are hardcore, but they will still keep the "kangaroo" branding, so they will get used to it. Also, look at how they treated their veterans...you get what you deserve, I guess, as the saying goes.
Such a unique perspective, very well thought out.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

This isn't a Victorian v non Victorian issue, no doubt tassie should have a team as the sport expands whether its north or stand alone most would prefer stand alone and so would I

But if you can't accept there is too much concentration in one region to get the whole of Australia covered with the growth that the AFL are hoping for you aren't being honest

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
How is that not being honest? There's too many teams in vic, yet we still have the highest revenue, and teams aren't struggling to make a profit

No I would rather see a stand alone tassie team but I would question if 19 teams is too many or do we need 20

As for Victorian clubs if the AFL are wasting all their money on trying to go north then all will survive but if their investment pays off then yes a big reduction in Vic clubs is required

So are you backing down on your assertion that "there is too much concentration in one region" given you wont state how many is 'right'?

So are you backing down on your assertion that "there is too much concentration in one region" given you wont state how many is 'right'?

Not at all, it's a matter of time you can't say 3 or 4 teams need to go unless the biggest market in Australia takes off it's pretty damn simple to say if the region that has over 50% of the population of Australia starts growing as the AFL expect it will mean a wider disbursement of teams.

They expect it to or they wouldn't be that stupid to invest millions and millions into it thinking it's going to fail

Hutchy putting it out there a bit early but he and the AFL no doubt expect North will struggle over the next few years. We'll see if opinions and sentiment of the average footy fan change over time and how much the AFL pushes this agenda.

Having said that I feel North (individually) are in a stronger position to tell the AFL where to go compared to 2008 but they need to stay competitive on field.

No one wants their club relocating to another state.

North Melbourne supporters, you have my upmost respect for standing up and fighting for your club. You guys don't have the luxury of supporting one of the big Victorian clubs, that is safe from relocation discussions. Nonetheless you guys fight tooth and nail to defend your small/boutique club. That is hardcore and passionate.

It shits me to see supporters of bigger Victorian clubs throwing stones at North Melbourne fans. For instance, I've noticed several Richmond supporters puffing their chest about crowd numbers and in turn slagging off North Melbourne. It's even worse to see supporters of the smaller Victorian clubs pushing for North's death rather than all banding together against this relocation agenda.

So if you really like this whole relocation or merger agenda then just nominate your own club, otherwise just shut your ****en mouth because your opinions are just annoying.
Quoted so late comers can read the POTY.

Can we please move Hutchy to Tassie instead of North.
I plan on retiring to Tasmania in about eight years. The idea of having to share the most beautiful piece of Australia with that turd makes me want to puke.

Let's instead relocate him to the Woomera detention centre, and kept under guard by the soon to be unemployed guards from the NT youth detention system.

I find it hard to be sympathetic to North, but if it suits both them and Tasmania to re-locate, then I wish them well.

Brent Harvey was very loyal to North, and had opportunities during his career to move on for better money. He easily had another year in him. North now sitting 16th on the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly - on average 1 team per 600 thousand in Vic...

but Tassie don't have 600 thousand - closer to 500 thousand.

So in theory moving to Tassie decreases the market for that club... Probably why Tassie will struggle to get a stand alone team.

Hutchy's hybrid (which is likely an AFL model?) may be what North end up with.

Ground work is clearly being laid.

Fans aren't evenly distributed though...but at the same time, it's not like Tasmanians would all dump the clubs they've been following their entire lives.

As I've said before...A Tas team would have roughly the same level of support as the small Vic clubs, but without the flow on effects of having other clubs in the same area (pulling a big bunch of away fans mightn't be 'your' support, but it's still $$$ after all) which makes adding a Tas team OK, so long as you accept the smaller Vic clubs are also OK...It's the people who seem to want to kill one off the Vic clubs to make way for a similar (possibly weaker) Tas team that really need to look at their motivations. A lot of those from interstate just seem to boil down to just hating on Vics, while the Vic fans are often just thinking that if it's going to happen, then it's best to ensure other clubs are the targets.

Better solution to any imbalance is just to grow the league....It'll take time (20-30 years) but...
10 VIC
4 WA
3 SA
2 NSW
2 QLD
1 TAS
1 TBD

23 teams, play each other once each season, swap venues each year....solves so many problems.

Yes, and whose membership despite not playing finals for over 10 years is now higher than North Melbourne's despite North playing in a prelim in 2015...

This isn't about on-field performance anymore with North. They can't establish the crowds as soon as the performance is perceived to drop off. Laidley has already said that they loaded up in the mid-2000s to keep the club alive, even though it wouldn't necessarily win them a flag. Friday night is another example - there's GC game a month ago which got 15,000 on Saturday Night Football. Yes, it's GC, but 15k is woeful for SNF.

In one breath people whinge about too-many-clubs-in-Vic but noone wants to listen to any idea to solve the thing. Here's one. I actually think it's a good idea in terms of how it maintains the North presence in Vic while still helping to free up some of the marketing base in Victoria.

Didn't your peasant club only attract 8974 to a game at Etihad? :$

Your club has been a stain on the league for a decade now and is only now starting to emerge from the darkness after a plethora of priority picks and other benefits.

Really don't think you should be throwing stones :rolleyes:

Your club has been a stain on the league for a decade now and is only now starting to emerge from the darkness after a plethora of priority picks and other benefits.

Something something tin rattling something something no your club deserves to die.

It's kinda amusing people saying tassies deserve a team, while wanting other clubs to fold.

I agree about throwing stones, Melbourne supporters of all people should know what it's like to have your club on the brink of being taken from you. Any supporter of Melbourne, North, Bulldogs or Saints who actively encourages relocation/death of another club is extremely misguided. It doesn't make your clubs position more secure, it is the complete opposite.

These clubs should be forming a bloc within the AFL. I think they should be getting Geelong on side as well as they seem to be a club who has their head screwed on and also share some of the same competing interests.

Not at all, it's a matter of time you can't say 3 or 4 teams need to go unless the biggest market in Australia takes off it's pretty damn simple to say if the region that has over 50% of the population of Australia starts growing as the AFL expect it will mean a wider disbursement of teams.

They expect it to or they wouldn't be that stupid to invest millions and millions into it thinking it's going to fail

But you asserted that there is too great a concentration in Victoria NOW.

What is your assessment of the current situation that causes you to think that?

But you asserted that there is too great a concentration in Victoria NOW.

What is your assessment of the current situation that causes you to think that?

No I didnt and it is just pre-emptive thinking by Hutchy, looking at what could occur. I actually believe he is considering what could happen, but there is no reason StKilda, Bulldogs and Melbourne cant be brought into the discussion

The AFL would be silly not to take a team backed by the Tassie government it would mean they wont need to underwrite it like they do say with Port

As for distributing teams those 3 and north would be extremly vunerable if the investment being made by the AFL actually delivers what the AFL expect. They arent investing millions up north because it sounds like a good idea they truly believe its the only way for the sport to grow.

Fans aren't evenly distributed though...but at the same time, it's not like Tasmanians would all dump the clubs they've been following their entire lives.

As I've said before...A Tas team would have roughly the same level of support as the small Vic clubs, but without the flow on effects of having other clubs in the same area (pulling a big bunch of away fans mightn't be 'your' support, but it's still $$$ after all) which makes adding a Tas team OK, so long as you accept the smaller Vic clubs are also OK...It's the people who seem to want to kill one off the Vic clubs to make way for a similar (possibly weaker) Tas team that really need to look at their motivations. A lot of those from interstate just seem to boil down to just hating on Vics, while the Vic fans are often just thinking that if it's going to happen, then it's best to ensure other clubs are the targets.

Better solution to any imbalance is just to grow the league....It'll take time (20-30 years) but...
10 VIC
4 WA
3 SA
2 NSW
2 QLD
1 TAS
1 TBD

23 teams, play each other once each season, swap venues each year....solves so many problems.

Why no more teams in NSW or QLD, do you think the millions the AFL are investing is a pure waste of money

I believe they are doing it to take advantage of the enormous population, it amazes me as an AFL follower that thousands wouldnt convert, watching it against NRL or soccer I find no comparison

Remove this Banner Ad

Back