Craig Kelly Tipped To Become Pies CEO - Conflict Of Interest ??

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

TLA also has a range of Collingwood clients, including senior coach Craig McRae and assistants Justin Leppitsch and Brendon Bolton, as well as players Brayden Maynard, Jamie Elliott and, of course, Will Kelly.

Obviously is a smart businessman but it could get messy down the track.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
In the same article, there's mention of another 'conflict of interest' at Hawthorn.

But that's ok, crickets and tumbleweeds.

At Collingwood? Well it's a definite scandal!

We'll wait and see if the media runs with it or not, I'd be surprised if the media doesn't make a big hoo ha out of this.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Nepotism has not really worked out swimmingly for Collingwood in the past.

Why are they so adverse to hiring 'outsiders' for very important roles at Pieland anyway ?

If they did an extensive search and interview process and deemed Kelly the best person for the role, than fine, however I still think it is/was better for Collingwood to appoint someone who no previous ties or loyalty to the footy club.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Nepotism has not really worked out swimmingly for Collingwood in the past.

Why are they so adverse to hiring 'outsiders' for very important roles at Pieland anyway ?

If they did an extensive search and interview process and deemed Kelly the best person for the role, than fine, however I still think it is/was better for Collingwood to appoint someone who no previous ties or loyalty to the footy club.

You mean figures like McCrae and Wright?

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maybe, but probably not.

You might, if you were one of the named parties, change representation before your next renegotiation - or at least I would. But that would be about it.

You'd (Collingwood) be more concerned about the impacts on Ned's time and cranial capacity of the other role I'd reckon. Which is a potential conflict, granted

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
You mean figures like McCrae and Wright?

Graham Wright was a 200 game premiership player for Collingwood, granted he was poached after many years of excellent service as recruiting/list manager of Hawthorn.

I just hope this isn't another job for the boys appointment, much like Gary Pert as CEO of the Pies was years ago.

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Graham Wright was a 200 game premiership player for Collingwood, granted he was poached after many years of excellent service as recruiting/list manager of Hawthorn.

I just hope this isn't another job for the boys appointment, much like Gary Pert as CEO of the Pies was years ago.
I think anyone can see the Pies are trying to bring in fresh people the past couple years.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood

Well hard to fault Pert's credentials at the time. Head of Austero and then senior position at 9 Network.
Seemed to have worked out ok winning a premiership during his time there. As it has for Melbourne FC

Simche

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Arsenal
Fairly sure Kelly was bought out of ownership when it became TLA and he's only there in an executive position that he would have to resign from to take on the Collingwood post. If so there wouldn't be any conflict.

If he still owns a piece of the company I still think it is a conflict that can be managed. Doubtful you'd have a CEO involved in list decisions etc.

Edit:
The article states he has sold out of TLA where it states: "Kelly is on long service leave from TLA but has not yet quit the company, which he originally founded before selling it."

Consequently I do not think there is a conflict at all if he takes up the Collingwood CEO role.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Ned Kelly as pies CEO is rather fitting.
Reminds me of Red Ned's Pies in Nelson Bay

images-21.jpeg

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Fairly sure Kelly was bought out of ownership when it became TLA and he's only there in an executive position that he would have to resign from to take on the Collingwood post. If so there wouldn't be any conflict.

If he still owns a piece of the company I still think it is a conflict that can be managed. Doubtful you'd have a CEO involved in list decisions etc.

Edit:
The article states he has sold out of TLA where it states: "Kelly is on long service leave from TLA but has not yet quit the company, which he originally founded before selling it."

Consequently I do not think there is a conflict at all if he takes up the Collingwood CEO role.
Depending on one's view there is still a conflict of interest given his son Will Kelly is on the list at Collingwood.

I think this was part of the allusion in the OP.

Back