Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

What I love about McRae already is his very clear understanding about the need to connect with the supporters. At no stage did I ever feel that Bucks ever saw us as anything more than background noise and nuffies. Despite the occasional reference to the army, it felt forced and artificial.
2018 was the only year in which he demonstrated a sense of connection to the Collingwood base.
I know its early days but McRae has had the army in the forefront of his mind every time he has spoken or been interviewed. I love it. Hardwick clearly placed a huge emphasis on embracing the fans and this has clearly rubbed off on McRae .
Go Pies.
Side by side suddenly feels like more than a throwaway line for marketing purposes and more like a mission statement.

Lose the fans and lose your job, every coach should live by that or they WILL die by it.

If I was the Fly.. I'd do a Jacko coach of the Chicago Bulls.. you know with his 'Last Dance' theme thingimagig.. I'd go with Kenny Rogers - the Gambler.. theme thingimagig.

Be smart.. know when to gamble.. expect ups and downs.. play the game from start to finish. You're in it until the end.. win lose draw.. live and learn.. take it into next week..

This will help the lads develop good habits.. we'll have a good season.. take it into 2023. And let's continue to build..

Screenshot_20210903-134310_Gallery.jpg

If I was the Fly.. I'd do a Jacko coach of the Chicago Bulls.. you know with his 'Last Dance' theme thingimagig.. I'd go with Kenny Rogers - the Gambler.. theme thingimagig.

Be smart.. know when to gamble.. expect ups and downs.. play the game from start to finish. You're in it until the end.. win lose draw.. live and learn.. take it into next week..

This will help the lads develop good habits.. we'll have a good season.. take it into 2023. And let's continue to build..

View attachment 1224973
What you on about re? Gamoto

View attachment 1224973
Yeah like Kenny Roger would have gotten anyone up for a game 35 years ago let alone these young blokes in 2022.
You want side asleep at the first bounce play that garbage.

Yeah like Kenny Roger would have gotten anyone up for a game 35 years ago let alone these young blokes in 2022.
You want side asleep at the first bounce play that garbage.
I’d go with a bit of Motörhead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea that Gerard Whately suggested we have taken in pursuing ‘a small Collingwood’.

Are you sure he wasn’t referring to McRae only being 1.76m?

I still find this wide reaching sentiment that we're way off finals perplexing honestly.

I'm not suggesting it's guaranteed to happen, but as I was in 2017, I'm just not as dismissive of the idea that finals are so out of reach for this group.

At the end of 2017 we recruited the best young player in the country and Collingwood’s first riding star. Fingers crossed that Nick has a good season and gives our second rising Star a decent crack …

… although I won’t be at all disappointed if Reef, Poulter, Henry, McRae, or any one of our other exciting young players takes it off him.

A big difference between today and the end of 2017 is that now we have so many young and inexperienced players in our top 30ish. They’ll be great for us, but they’ll need 2 to 3 years in the system to the kind of players that Grundy, Moore, Maynard, and DeGoey were back in that 2018 finals series. Until then those young players will be inconsistent, they’ll be bonding with the new coach and the fitness staff, learning the game plan, building up their tanks, learning each other’s traits on the footy field, getting a better feel for the standard of AFL competition.

Finals teams need a stack of players in the 50+ and 100+ range and IMO we won’t have nearly enough of those next year to fit the profile of a finals team.

I have very low expectations for 2022, but I reckon it’ll still be an entertaining year seeing the young players develop.

Last edited:
Yeah we start singing this one re after the miga (fly) delivers the next premiership. We will be singing it for years after gamoto.

Wouldn't party hard and sing it for that long re.. 4 day wild drinking benders every week right up until the next season starts.. and then get back to business and that re sort of a thing.

Back to back re.. back to back re.

Forget about it mate.

I think given Craig’s association with the Bris Lions sides that inflicted so much damage in the early naughties, it is only fair that our expectations of Craig is to deliver us two flags in compensation. It is footy karma.

In all seriousness it is a great common sense choice and will be great fit for the list and direction it needs to go in.

I think given Craig’s association with the Bris Lions sides that inflicted so much damage in the early naughties, it is only fair that our expectations of Craig is to deliver us two flags in compensation. It is footy karma.

He did say in his presser “If I could be half the coach Clarkson is …”

I took that to mean “Two flags” as well 👍