Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't believe we were truly a 17th placed side, but what this man has done is incredible.

He's brought a new culture - getting the absolute best out of everyone around him.
And in just two years, he's joined a club of previously just 5 people.

Collingwood flags are hard to come by.
Beautifully summed up 84

The guy is just a winner. The players really bought into his philosophies and they just all seem to love playing for him. Such a breath of fresh air.

Mason Cox said on a podcast that he was ready to give it away and retire prior to Fly being announced as the new coach. Pretty much said he (McRae) was the only one he would keep persevering for. In the end he kept going to try and help Fly achieve the ultimate goal after he was the one who helped him so much on the start of his journey. #PlayForFly was the catchphrase he was running with. :heart:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But according to some in the media Bucks played a big part in this premiership. Give me a break, the guy was a poor leader and it's time to admit it.
That’s abit harsh. He led arguably our worst GF side to within a bee’s dick against one of the greatest sides in history as a player, then almost won a premiership as a coach too.

You have to be a good leader to be able to achieve what Buckley did as a captain and as a coach.

His leadership style is completely different to Fly as coach and Moore as captain now, but it doesn’t automatically mean it’s bad leadership.

EDIT: I reckon I’m fairly ‘old school’ and reckon I would’ve thrived more under a Buckley type leader than under a Fly type. Nothing wrong with either - just some people respond better to different ways of being led.

Last edited:
One thing that struck me the most with Fly when he first took over the job, was how much he wanted to honour past legends of the club and learn about the club’s history.

Anyone else remember how he put up murals of the past Collingwood premiership coaches up on his wall in his office?

I hope he left enough room for one of himself to be put up there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One thing that struck me the most with Fly when he first took over the job, was how much he wanted to honour past legends of the club and learn about the club’s history.

Anyone else remember how he put up murals of the past Collingwood premiership coaches up on his wall in his office?

I hope he left enough room for one of himself to be put up there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don’t recall where I heard him speak, but he said if he came back for 2024 and it was done, he’d wanna change offices 😂

But according to some in the media Bucks played a big part in this premiership. Give me a break, the guy was a poor leader and it's time to admit it.

Not digging the boots in to bucks whilst he is down. But even as a captain the murmurs were there of a bad leader. Essentially why Paul Williams left the pies.

Great coach obviously and great panel with him. Didn't throw many babies out with the bathwater, so it may be that good things from Bucks time remained.

I think Hayden Skipworth is the only legacy person of note on the panel from Buckley’s time?

Leppa, Bolts, and Wade all came on board with Fly.