Game Day Crap selection and game plan

Unfortunately the club will never move Bev on, would need him to step aside which I doubt he’ll ever do. Mediocrity for ever boys
It's entirely possible. Remember him saying that the shelf life a senior coach was about 5 years? He's now into his eighth year.

If he feels he's losing the players or just losing his passion for coaching them I could easily see him calling time a year early. Besides he knows there'll be some other club out there that needs the lift he gave us in 2015. And they'll be prepared to pay handsomely for it.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
It's entirely possible. Remember him saying that the shelf life a senior coach was about 5 years? He's now into his eighth year.

If he feels he's losing the players or just losing his passion for coaching them I could easily see him calling time a year early. Besides he knows there'll be some other club out there that needs the lift he gave us in 2015. And they'll be prepared to pay handsomely for it.
His old President, from his Hawthorn days, Jeff Kennett, said much the same thing and similarly overstayed. Bev might well stand down when he thinks it appropriate. I'm encouraged by the sincerity of Kennett's use-by date for Club Presidents regime by my in depth conversation with Kennett, last year, on the ground floor of a CBD building

JK Good Morning
DM 'Morning.

His old President, from his Hawthorn days, Jeff Kennett, said much the same thing and similarly overstayed. Bev might well stand down when he thinks it appropriate. I'm encouraged by the sincerity of Kennett's use-by date for Club Presidents regime by my in depth conversation with Kennett, last year, on the ground floor of a CBD building

JK Good Morning
DM 'Morning.
I'm pleased to see you didn't give him the time of day (you just acknowledged it was morning, which is excusable since he already knew that).

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I'm pleased to see you didn't give him the time of day (you just acknowledged it was morning, which is excusable since he already knew that).
Kennett achieved what John Cain / Joan Kirner couldn't, the amalgamation of small, local, inefficient, corrupted councils into larger, more transparent bodies. He might not be much of a bloke but he is a fair judge of the time of day.

Kennett achieved what John Cain / Joan Kirner couldn't, the amalgamation of small, local, inefficient, corrupted councils into larger, more transparent bodies. He might not be much of a bloke but he is a fair judge of the time of day.
A shame he couldn't achieve the same among his colleagues. (And yes, that applies to both sides of the house)

I would agree with that bit. Even his own party thought he was a clown before he was elected.
He was good at selling off the farm and acting to run the place 'more efficiently' at the expense of service to, and care for, the people.
Our own 'small' council, which was neither inefficient nor corrupt, was merged and our assetts [paid for by our ratepayers] sold off in fire sale style. For me he was a standout for worst premier in my time. In a traditionally 'blue ribbon' electorate, we elected an independent candidate which helped remove him from power. :rainbow:

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I would agree with that bit. Even his own party thought he was a clown before he was elected.
He was good at selling off the farm and acting to run the place 'more efficiently' at the expense of service to, and care for, the people.
Our own 'small' council, which was neither inefficient nor corrupt, was merged and our assetts [paid for by our ratepayers] sold off in fire sale style. For me he was a standout for worst premier in my time. In a traditionally 'blue ribbon' electorate, we elected an independent candidate which helped remove him from power. :rainbow:
In the 1990s, Melbourne's population was still just a bit over 3 mil. ALP Bracks tried to reconcile and reorganise local government. Corruption wnet unchecked . Bracks' [Kennett's] efforts were stymied by the "tomato left". Current Defamation laws oblige me to be cautious but members of the tomato left included a former Member of Parliament who had a good arm. Despite my intimate friendship with Kennett, derived from that now famous CBD encounter in the CBD last year, I can't support your "fire sale" allegation. For all its ideological downside, plenty of privatisatiosn worked well for Victoria. 30 odd years on, though, the prospect of putting power infrastructure on the open market is a real issue.

Last edited:

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Remember in 2014 when our captain, brownlow medalist, coach and everybody else walked out on us?

Random Crystal Ball Wizard Guy: "Hey lads, you're going to get a coach who's going to take you to finals in 6 out of the next 8 years, play in two grand finals and win the flag. Oh also - you're going to go through a pandemic but you won't need to worry about any extra financial assistance because you'll be able to look after yourself."

A certain subset of BigFooty Bulldog "supporters": "Hey * that guy, he shouldn't be our coach."

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Remind me how the sale of the SEC and 51% of Powercor being owned by Cheung Kong Holdings is good for Victorians?
The State should not be in the business of containerism and you omitted “some” but you are right about power corp, particularly in light of the the way the current government deals with state assets and CCP. I've amended my original post but, let me assure you, before I saw yours.

Last edited:

JTCWBFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool, Knicks, Yankees
Is there a reason this soft cap stuff seems to have impacted us more than other clubs?

Or are we just more vocal about it?

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
If Bev really believes coaches have a shelf life of xx years, he (and the club) should be well into planning who would potentially take over next. There is zero of that planning within the club right now so don't think i believe those statements.

If Bev is the leader i think he is, he will not leave us high and dry with no coaching option.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you looked at the team stats and had no idea where we sat on the ladder, you’d think we were going okay, which is pretty crazy.

7th in contested possessions.
4th in clearances.
2nd disposal efficiency
9th contested marks.
6th marks inside 50.
13th for most turnovers.
9th efficiency going inside 50.

Remind me how the sale of the SEC and 51% of Powercor being owned by Cheung Kong Holdings is good for Victorians?

CKI owns three out of five electricity distributors and two out of three gas distributors in Victoria.

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
If you looked at the team stats and had no idea where we sat on the ladder, you’d think we were going okay, which is pretty crazy.

7th in contested possessions.
4th in clearances.
2nd disposal efficiency
9th contested marks.
6th marks inside 50.
13th for most turnovers.
9th efficiency going inside 50.
Weve won 2, lost 4, 1 of those we should have won but kicked poorly and one of the other 3 was a 1 point loss. We could very easily be 4/2. Which is about where the stats put us. And that with a s**t ton of injuries to key players.

DONT PANIC

We'll make finals.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Weve won 2, lost 4, 1 of those we should have won but kicked poorly and one of the other 3 was a 1 point loss. We could very easily be 4/2. Which is about where the stats put us. And that with a s**t ton of injuries to key players.

DONT PANIC

We'll make finals.

Fair synopsis OF. Considering the injuries and drop off in certain areas, 4 and 2 would be a decent result.

I still think we can make finals too. My concern is that we now have to exert so much energy just to make it, I can’t see us having much of an impact once there.

The modern game is so demanding, it’s not often now days teams go on massive runs of form like they did back in the day.

If we can make finals from here, it’ll mean our last 3/4’s of the season had been pretty good. Here’s to good form from here on in 🍻

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
Fair synopsis OF. Considering the injuries and drop off in certain areas, 4 and 2 would be a decent result.

I still think we can make finals too. My concern is that we now have to exert so much energy just to make it, I can’t see us having much of an impact once there.

The modern game is so demanding, it’s not often now days teams go on massive runs of form like they did back in the day.

If we can make finals from here, it’ll mean our last 3/4’s of the season had been pretty good. Here’s to good form from here on in 🍻
I personally think "Backs to the Wall" helps. We loook to have gone intot he season thinking "We made last years Granny, we can do that again easy". Well no, you cant, making the Granny is the second toughest job in footy and is never given lightly. I felt we were going into 2022 a little entitled. And it has shown. Going into the rest of the season needing 100% from everybody every week might work in our favour.

Contador

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I had a dream last night which might mean something but I can't quite decipher it.

I was on a bus on the way to work and Bevo got on looking very stressed, almost maniacal. He ordered everyone to get off the bus immediately. He was clearly watching us as we did so - assessing the energy and passion with which we were approaching our new task. Considering the surprising events, we were all understandably a bit dazed - moving slowly, fumbling with our bags and so on. Once we were all off, he got very angry and shouted at us that we'd all failed and would never make it in the AFL, and then stormed off.

Any thoughts?

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

DONT PANIC

We'll make finals.
Its a really good point but outside of the Sydney game (Norf doesnt count), I don't think we've played well in any game.
Even though we lost to Adelaide by a point they were up much better team and Carlton easily outplayed us for 3 quarters (it would have been a steal if we won that).

That said if we were sitting 4-2 playing bad footy but getting the wins - the general feeling would probably be "how good will we be when the players start coming back from injury"

whyBulldogs

Debutant
Oct 5, 2020
North West
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

DONT PANIC

We'll make finals.

Is making final our objective now in 2022? That's a hell of expectation tempering. I know, realism starts sink in. We might get there but very hard to foresee we can get one better from last year based on current performance (NOT by the current ladder position). Question how quick we can turn this around and how? We will have injured key players back but we might lose also some due to injuries. Do we have enough depth? It's still a long way season

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Did I ever tell you how much I love you Fossie?

Back