Game Day Crap selection and game plan

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we need to look beyond game day and look at structure and coaching. We have Spangher coaching the forwards (FMD) and Webb coaching the mids/stoppages. These two replaced Hansen and King who moved at the end of last season.

Replace Spangher with someone who's coached and played forward, same as Webb (for mids/stoppages)
And this is why heat needs to go on Grant. Ultimately he hires these guys

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
Not sold on Spangher as a forwards coach, I'd prefer someone with extensive playing experience as a forward and a proven ability to kick goals & shake off defenders.

The question then is who would be a better option?

I think we need to wait on Spangher and Webb. Still very early to pass judgement on both.

Spangher has not had a forward line with Bruce in it and I think he is super important to our structure.

BBBaz

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
I was of the opinion Bev just needed help and he was the right man to lead us forward but nah, he ain’t changing and he ain’t listening to anyone else and he’s now officially out of touch. He’s so far off the pace of the current game it’s not funny and we need a change.

We need to overhaul our whole football department right now, let him know we’re looking to the future - he can stay and see out his contract but we’re playing the kids and not rebuilding but just starting over.

Tell him he’s free to look at offers, of which he’d have plenty, he’d probably be really good in a role overseeing a football department - where’s a little bit more removed from the day to day emotions of things, hell I’d love him in that role for us as he’s a great people person and people manager, with a new coach but obviously that won’t work as he’s too invested in this team and needs a new challenge.

Obviously he’d leave at the end of the year and we’d have the best candidates in the industry jumping at the chance to coach this list - let the current assistants see out 2023 and then let the new coach make a decision on who he wants to stay and who he wants us to bring in.

We need a fresh approach and a change in how we do things, and it’s not happening under the current regime. Plus there’s no better time than right now in our current transitioning phase where the core of our list is still young enough to contribute in our next run, and the the new era is just starting to come through.

It is the perfect time for a fresh start, unfortunately this won’t happen as the AFL industry is so set in their ways with this and coaches only leave at the absolute bottom of a rut for a club
So, you are in support of moving on one of the two Grand Final coaches a mere nine games after taking our team to only its fourth Grand final? That coach? He's so far off the pace......? Riiiiight....

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So, you are in support of moving on one of the two Grand Final coaches a mere nine games after taking our team to only its fourth Grand final? That coach? He's so far off the pace......? Riiiiight....
Either the club hires a senior assistant who takes over a large part of Bevo’s role and Bevo plays the Hardwick and Goodwin role or Bevo should go. It appears Bevo’s likes being the Vlad with little input from anyone else.

We got to the GF due to the talent of the team and the them against us story Bevo would have played. History has shown he is a great motivator, probably one of the best, but his match day coaching, team selection and game plan is poor. If the club brought someone in to assist Bevo that would be the best outcome and i am confident we would have a dynasty.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Either the club hires a senior assistant who takes over a large part of Bevo’s role and Bevo plays the Hardwick and Goodwin role or Bevo should go. It appears Bevo’s likes being the Vlad with little input from anyone else.

We got to the GF due to the talent of the team and the them against us story Bevo would have played. History has shown he is a great motivator, probably one of the best, but his match day coaching, team selection and game plan is poor. If the club brought someone in to assist Bevo that would be the best outcome and i am confident we would have a dynasty.

So a team to make a GF just needs a good list and a few Gordon Bombay type motivational speeches.

Amazing stuff MD.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
So a team to make a GF just needs a good list and a few Gordon Bombay type motivational speeches.

Amazing stuff MD.
I agree that Bevo's tactical nous in completely shot. When was the last time we thought after a game that Bevo actually coached well? The game plan and structure is completely non-existent at this point.

Scrub any idea of making the GF this year let alone top 4, on current trajectory even a spot in the 8 isn't guaranteed. The season to date has been a bit of a train wreck the way things have panned out with injuries and team selections however not all is lost just yet. There's a few players that need to improve their output & consistency across the board

PKPK

Draftee
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
V Geelong. Lost at selection (again) with one tall. English up forward for half a game and we win. Sweet might not be a dominant ruck but he competes and halves contests. With him in English gets freed up.
Bont, Naughton & Buku playing ruck is just stupid. The team hit a bit of form with 2 rucks playing but the Coach changed the team balance from last few weeks when we were winning. Sweet must be so pissed off. The boys worked hard tonight but couldn’t finish it off.
Again no prick in the presser will challenge Bevo for his ongoing pigheaded one ruck game plan in the presser. They are just pathetic and let him off the hook.
We have a lot of average smalls and not enough talls. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different outcomes is plain stupidity. English forward for a half would have changed the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The ripple effect of going with Tim as the sole ruck tonight are as follows:
  • Bont had to ruck.
  • Buku had to ruck meaning Naughton was one out.
  • Buku played 55% game time.
  • Naughton rucked inside 50.
  • we still lost the hitouts.

Please tell me HOW THE FU** that’s better than playing sweet?

Aug 31, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
  • Bont had to ruck.

God it is awful to read those 5 bullet points

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
V Geelong. Lost at selection (again) with one tall. English up forward for half a game and we win. Sweet might not be a dominant ruck but he competes and halves contests. With him in English gets freed up.
Bont, Naughton & Buku playing ruck is just stupid. The team hit a bit of form with 2 rucks playing but the Coach changed the team balance from last few weeks when we were winning. Sweet must be so pissed off. The boys worked hard tonight but couldn’t finish it off.
Again no prick in the presser will challenge Bevo for his ongoing pigheaded one ruck game plan in the presser. They are just pathetic and let him off the hook.
We have a lot of average smalls and not enough talls. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different outcomes is plain stupidity. English forward for a half would have changed the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Actually Sweets first quarter v Collingwood out of the centre was good as anything English has produced. He can’t run like a gazelle or kick as well, but in the middle he is pretty good.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
  • Bont had to ruck.

I actually really like Naughton rucking inside 50. But yeah all those issues would be fixed with one simple change, and all we lose is one nothing small who offers * all.

Like our pressure was extremely poor last night, what are we getting out of this extra *ing small.

Buku would be able to play an extra 20% game time, Timmy an extra 10-15% so we make up for some of the rotations there.

Ndaz

Debutant
Aug 6, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
  • Bont had to ruck.

Stop with this fallacy about playing a balanced and tall team in their favoured positions. Should know by now the key to coaching and team selection is playing a rotation of short VFL level midfielders with feel good stories the boys can get around each week.

• Bont had to ruck.

We lost the game in the first quarter with Tim in the ruck. We outscored them after that which is more of the time when Buku and others were rucking.

Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wasn't sure where else to post but, in relation to coaching, are there assistant/ex coaches out there we could/should target? Leon Cameron anyone?

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wasn't sure where else to post but, in relation to coaching, are there assistant/ex coaches out there we could/should target? Leon Cameron anyone?

Anyone with some fresh ideas on defensive structure and forward line movement would be great!

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Watched Weightman after his dislocation come back on.And lead like a mad man and demand the ball.Each occasion Jamarra was right next to him.And not demanding the ball.Cody dropped 3 marks in a row.The ball rebounding.
Now the coaches have a player named Jamarra who needs to be demanding the ball.Get that happening and your doing a fantastic job as forward coach.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Watched Weightman after his dislocation come back on.And lead like a mad man and demand the ball.Each occasion Jamarra was right next to him.And not demanding the ball.Cody dropped 3 marks in a row.The ball rebounding.
Now the coaches have a player named Jamarra who needs to be demanding the ball.Get that happening and your doing a fantastic job as forward coach.
You're Bont, Treloar, Dunkley, Libba, Hunter, Scott, with the ball, running forward. There are 2 forwards leading, one is a regular multiple goal scorer who marks, crumbs, goes beserk at ground level, wins his own ball; the other a tall who misses contested marks, does not follow up and averages under a goal a match from uncontested marks. Which will you kick to ? It isn't structure or coaching.

Last edited:

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You're Bont, Treloar, Dunkley, Libba, Hunter, Scott, with the ball, running forward. There are 2 forwards leading, one is a regular multiple goal scorer who marks, crumbs, goes beserk at ground level, wins his own ball; the other a tall who misses contested marks, does not follow up and averages under a goal a match from uncontested marks. Which will you kick to ? It isn't structure or coaching.
I would instruct Jamarra to just keep leading And demanding. It will click into place eventually. THEN the rest will take care of itself . But coaching him to keep calling is so important. Never put your head down.
There is a reason we recruited him..

Back