FTA-TV Crappy AFL viewing on a top brand TV. TV or broadcasters fault?

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy New Year Everyone,

Bit of a random thread, but wanted to see if any of the BF brainstrust has had similar issues or remedies to fix the following issue.

I recently purchased a Samsung Q80T QLED TV for the man cave and everything was looking great.... Until I tried to watch any sport!!!! In particular the AFL, which actually looks better watching the TV through my bl**dy phone. The ball movement in particular is shocking.

I have attached an example at the following link; . The footage is from Kayo in HD and looks much better one or 46" Soniq that's 12 years old!!!

Samsung tell me this is an issue from the broadcaster and not an issue with their TV being unable to handle fast moving sports. There are also issues with vertical banding and Dirty Screen Effect, which are classed as 'known limitations' of the technology.

Any ideas/suggestions?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Try turn off or switch to low any Auto Motion Plus or Picture Clarity smoothing settings in the advanced menu.
Hey EM - I've tried everything mate. Next stop, side by side comparisons in-store.

If the footy is as good on a $1500 TV, why get the $4500 one (RRP, not what I paid).

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

download a 1080p clip (of AFL action) and watch it from a HDD or usb stick or whatever...this is to rule out test any bandwidth problems (as you said watching from Kayo, not sure if you were watching live or "online" from Kayo)

If it is perfectly clear watching from a downloaded clip, then there's nothing wrong with the TV.

Last edited:
I have a 2 year old Bravia 55" and the footy looks great in Ultra HD with "Sports" picture mode on although I do find the sound quite tinny but the picture quality kinda overcomes that problem.
I only watched a review a couple of days ago on YouTube comparing Qled to Oled and from memory it said Qled was better for sports, that said I hope to if the budget can stretch that far upgrade to a Sony Oled at some stage this year.

here's another quick test you could do.

Watch the BBL on FTA, ch 70 which is 1080p 1080i...how does it look ? (there can be no bandwidth/internet/kayo app related problems here)

Switch to Kayo to watch the same match...is there a noticable difference ?

EDIT: my $700 2018 Hisense 50inch 100Hz 4K TV looks glorious watching footy with Kayo (no app, I connect my PC to TV)

Last edited:
I was looking at TVs recently and I ruled out the Samsungs because of this widely reported bug (and also because Samsung put adverts in their software).

The 2020 series TVs are faulty.

Apparently putting the TV into game mode fixes the judder but it also introduces undesirable picture quality details that you wouldn't want when watching TV shows/movies etc.

Return it if you can and get yourself another TV.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back