Crazy finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Heard a few comments about how this hasn't been the most exciting AFL finals series, with a lot of one-sided games etc...

But then it struck me, just over the past few weeks I've noticed a stack of crazy happenings and super-close games all over the place...

VFL:

- 8th place Essendon defeat 1st placed Richmond in a 5-point semi final thriller
- Thrilling results in both prelims, with both decided by under 10 points

SANFL:

- North Adelaide win the prelim by 5 points... after having 19 men on the ground for a number of minutes and scoring eight points. Seems some match officials incl the 4th umpire knew it at the time, but did nothing. Investigation underway

NEAFL:

- Southport win the GF over Sydney... also having 19 men on the field for a short period of time. Sydney refuse to protest and let the result stand

Eastern FL:

- South Croydon yesterday defeated Doncaster by five points in extra time in the Div 1 prelim
- Lilydale defeat Bayswater by 1 point in the Div 2 elimination final, with a goal after the siren from a free kick
- Ringwood go undefeated for the whole season in Div 3... then lose the GF to Boronia, who won the seniors, reserves and U19s GFs despite being underdogs in all three games
- Glen Waverley hold Whitehorse goalless for the entire first half of the Div 4 GF... only for Whitehorse to emerge a different team after half time, and go on to win.

Southern FL:

- In the Div 2 GF, Doveton and Highett combine for some of the worst kicking ever seen in a GF - Highett win 7.22.64 to 4.16.40

Mornington Peninsula Nepean FL

- Pines defeat the fancied Sorrento (now there's a class war) by one point in the GF with a behind kicked after the siren. Match is interrupted for some minutes by a good old-fashioned streaker

Can anyone add any more crazy finals matches / moments from your corner of the country? Seems to be mental stuff happening everywhere

Great analysis OP.

I’ve been watching the VFL closely this finals series and, as you say, they’ve been some interesting results.

-Essendon 8th comfortably defeated -Collingwood week 1.
-Essendon d Richmond
-Box Hill d Port Melbourne in overtime (I think) in week 1
Box Hill d Geelong (who finished top 4)
Box Hill d Williamstown in week 3. Williamstown beat Richmond in the QF.

So there’s been two straight sets exits (Geelong & Richmond) and one team winning all the way through to the GF from 8th.

So there’s been two straight sets exits (Geelong & Richmond) and one team winning all the way through to the GF from 8th.
Casey beat Essendon though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that.

Week 1 - Box Hill v Port
Week 2 - Box Hill v Geelong
Week 3 - Box Hill v Williamstown

Ah I get you, I said 8th. Ok. Box Hill still went all the way from week 1 to 4.
Total semantics I know :p

In my local league on the weekend, all 4 preliminary final losers (from seniors down to 14's) were teams knocked out in straight sets.
In the seniors we finished 5th and defeated the side who finished 1st.

In another local league, A grade netball side who finished 5th by percentage eliminated the minor premier in extra time.

All happening.

Another from another board

Happened in WRFL Division 2 yesterday when the Yarraville / Seddon Eagles (17 wins, 0 losses + 1 abandoned game due to umpire illness) lost the GF to Point Cook having beaten them 2 times during the season, most recently in the 2nd Semi (easily).

Played on a ground neither had played on all season, footy is a funny game.

Heard a few comments about how this hasn't been the most exciting AFL finals series, with a lot of one-sided games etc...

But then it struck me, just over the past few weeks I've noticed a stack of crazy happenings and super-close games all over the place...

VFL:

- 8th place Essendon defeat 1st placed Richmond in a 5-point semi final thriller
- Thrilling results in both prelims, with both decided by under 10 points

SANFL:

- North Adelaide win the prelim by 5 points... after having 19 men on the ground for a number of minutes and scoring eight points. Seems some match officials incl the 4th umpire knew it at the time, but did nothing. Investigation underway

NEAFL:

- Southport win the GF over Sydney... also having 19 men on the field for a short period of time. Sydney refuse to protest and let the result stand

Eastern FL:

- South Croydon yesterday defeated Doncaster by five points in extra time in the Div 1 prelim
- Lilydale defeat Bayswater by 1 point in the Div 2 elimination final, with a goal after the siren from a free kick
- Ringwood go undefeated for the whole season in Div 3... then lose the GF to Boronia, who won the seniors, reserves and U19s GFs despite being underdogs in all three games
- Glen Waverley hold Whitehorse goalless for the entire first half of the Div 4 GF... only for Whitehorse to emerge a different team after half time, and go on to win.

Southern FL:

- In the Div 2 GF, Doveton and Highett combine for some of the worst kicking ever seen in a GF - Highett win 7.22.64 to 4.16.40

Mornington Peninsula Nepean FL

- Pines defeat the fancied Sorrento (now there's a class war) by one point in the GF with a behind kicked after the siren. Match is interrupted for some minutes by a good old-fashioned streaker

Can anyone add any more crazy finals matches / moments from your corner of the country? Seems to be mental stuff happening everywhere
Add to the VFL -
QF at Punt Road had the lights go out
EF between Box Hill and Port Melbourne going to ET after Box Hill kicked a goal basically on the siren to tie the game

Also the Lilydale/Bayswater game was after a crazy comeback - Lilydale had 1 goal to half time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back