Other Teams
DOCKERS
Stratton Rance Hooker
Johannisen J.McGovern Sheppard
Coniglio Fyfe S.Hill
B.Hill Franklin Walters
J.Hogan J.Kennedy LeCras
Sandilands Cripps Priddis
Extended Interchange: O'Meara, A.Swallow, J.Martin, Naitanui, Ryder, D.Swallow, Wells, Ballantyne, H.Bennell, T.Mitchell, H.Taylor....anyone who'd be close that I missed?

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Stratton Rance Hooker
Coniglio Fyfe S.Hill
B.Hill Franklin Walters
J.Hogan J.Kennedy LeCras
Extended Interchange: O'Meara, A.Swallow, J.Martin, Naitanui, Ryder, D.Swallow, Wells, Ballantyne, H.Bennell, T.Mitchell, H.Taylor....anyone who'd be close that I missed?

I'd have Neville Jetta in their on the extended bench. You don't seem to have any cover for the backs in smalls. In fact I'd play Metta above Sheppard

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
If there was a state of origin carnival series, the groups would be like this:

GROUP 1:
Vic Metro
SA
WA
Tasmania

GROUP 2:
Vic Country
Queensland
NT
NSW/ACT

Top 2 teams from each group meet in the semi finals.

The two semi finals winners then play off for the national final at the MCG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Stratton Rance Hooker
Coniglio Fyfe S.Hill
B.Hill Franklin Walters
J.Hogan J.Kennedy LeCras
Even though Tom Mitchell did play at national junior level for WA he would still have to be classed as a Victorian if you're picking a team under SoO rules. He only headed over to WA when he was about 15 and 1/2 from what I can see (at the end of 2008), and played for the Ashburton club from at least the age of 9 through to 15 when he left. That gives him about 5 and 1/2 years in Victoria and just 1 and 1/2 years in WA between the all-important ages of 10-17, so it's not even close.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ash-thursday-20111120-1npfc.html

Mitchell's future was settled some time ago, too. At Ashburton, he was a little professional by the age of nine: super serious, always running, rarely saying too much and never mucking around. He moved to Perth at the end of the under-15 season when his father, 170-game Sydney player Barry, got a job with the Dockers

Eddie Betts is a very interesting one, if he (as seems to be likely) was WA based between the ages of 10 and around 14 when he moved back to SA for a short while (before heading to Victoria) then he would be a WA player. I have him as belonging to WA but it's largely a guess, because the stories about his youth tend to vary a bit.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Even though Tom Mitchell did play at national junior level for WA he would still have to be classed as a Victorian if you're picking a team under SoO rules. He only headed over to WA when he was about 15 and 1/2 from what I can see (at the end of 2008), and played for the Ashburton club from at least the age of 9 through to 15 when he left. That gives him about 5 and 1/2 years in Victoria and just 1 and 1/2 years in WA between the all-important ages of 10-17, so it's not even close.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ash-thursday-20111120-1npfc.html

Mitchell's future was settled some time ago, too. At Ashburton, he was a little professional by the age of nine: super serious, always running, rarely saying too much and never mucking around. He moved to Perth at the end of the under-15 season when his father, 170-game Sydney player Barry, got a job with the Dockers

Eddie Betts is a very interesting one, if he (as seems to be likely) was WA based between the ages of 10 and around 14 when he moved back to SA for a short while (before heading to Victoria) then he would be a WA player. I have him as belonging to WA but it's largely a guess, because the stories about his youth tend to vary a bit.

If you add Betts to that team, put B.Hill on the wing and strengthen the bench. Very vey strong team. Would potentially beat a Vic country or Vic metro team. But being conservative, wouldn't beat a Vic team.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If you add Betts to that team, put B.Hill on the wing and strengthen the bench. Very vey strong team. Would potentially beat a Vic country or Vic metro team. But being conservative, wouldn't beat a Vic team.
I would fancy Victoria to win but it would be a great contest on paper. Is Duncan of Geelong worthy of a spot in the squad? Or Wilson of GWS?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Right now, every time of year we should be playing State of Origin football. Leave the Community series practice matches for the rest of the players to get their practice but the elite players of the league playing State of Origin 2 weekends in a row this time of year would be awesome for football in general. It is the one glaring missing thing from our football calendar that should be there as the most elite level of our game to celebrate and the best players aspire to play in of the best of the best.

Last weekend should have been weekend 1 of the series and this weekend be the final.
Assuming West Australia won through to the Australian State Championship Final I think
the West Aussie team for a final Saturday night v Big V would be the following:

Back Six
M Williams, Rance, M Johnson
Yeo, McGovern and Johannissen

Rucks , Mids and Wingers
S Hill, P Cripps, B Hill
Sandilands, Fyfe, Priddis

Forward Six
Walters, H Taylor, Franklin
Fasolo, Kennedy, LeCras

Bench
Ryder, Coniglio, Hogan and Ballantyne

Emergencies
Duncan, A Swallow and Hooker

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Big V to sort them out
images

Shaw, T McDonald, Simpson
Docherty, Hurley, Murphy
Parker, Selwood, Pendlebury
Dahlhaus, Roughead, Bontempelli
Ablett, Lynch, Stringer
Gawn, Dangerfield, Gray

Bench
Goldstein, Sloane, J Steven, Hodge

Emergencies
Kennedy, Waite and Martin

Have a feeling Waite and maybe Ablett played in the last Big V game pictured above.

Miss this most elite level of the game.
This is ideal time to play it whilst fringe players continue club practice matches.

Last edited:

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Big V to sort them out
images

Shaw, T McDonald, Simpson
Docherty, May, Laird
Parker, Selwood, Pendlebury
Dahlhaus, Roughead, Bontempelli
Ablett, Lynch, Stringer
Gawn, Dangerfield, Gray

Bench
Goldstein, Sloane, J Steven, Hodge

Emergencies
Kennedy, Waite and Martin

Have a feeling Waite and maybe Ablett played in the last Big V game pictured above.

Miss this most elite level of the game.
This is ideal time to play it whilst fringe players continue club practice matches.
May is from NT (going to school for a while in Victoria wouldn't change his status), while Laird is from SA.

Waite played for Vic. in that game, Ablett didn't. There are 11 currently listed players who did play; Pendlebury, Selwood and Shaw among them.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
May is from NT (going to school for a while in Victoria wouldn't change his status), while Laird is from SA.

Yeah, since that post realised all that but was in another thread so updated there and not here. Hurley ended up CHB in that Vic team. Highlights how hard it is to be fully aware of each states possible teams due to actually not seeing real squads created anymore. In past decades it was far easier to identify which state each player was from. Now you got to double check up to be sure. Sign of the times.

Last edited:

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Yeah, since that post realised all that but was in another thread so updated there and not here. Hurley ended up CHB in that Vic team. Highlights how hard it is to be fully aware of each stats possible teams due to actually not seeing real squads created anymore. In past decades it was far easier to identify which state each player was from. Now you got to double check up to be sure. Sign of the times.
I would like to see the AFL announce "official" SoO teams of the year after every season (based on performances from that season), it would at least help in the "identification" process.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I would like to see the AFL announce "official" SoO teams of the year after every season (based on performances from that season), it would at least help in the "identification" process.

Agreed. My dream for a number of years now is on All Australian team night they also announce 40 man squads for each state. Of course ACT, NT and Tasmania would also have to call upon players from outside AFL clubs to form their full squads but that also is motivation for footballers in their regions too.

That then becomes a basis for a 30 man squad training together in late February for a couple of sessions and then two weeks of State of Origin Football Championship to be played in March that would end the timing of last weekend. Then 2 weeks break until club season opens. So to be a chance of playing for your state your form the season before to get you in your state squad is another motivation for the many footballers out there that would love a chance to play representative football for their region of Australia each March 2 week series. Personally I would make this huge launch with big sponsors and money behind it to do it justice and also some form of kick backs at club land for how many players play representative football that March so the clubs are not getting in the way of it being as big as it should be.

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
If there was a state of origin carnival series, the groups would be like this:

GROUP 1:
Vic Metro
SA
WA
Tasmania

GROUP 2:
Vic Country
Queensland
NT
NSW/ACT

Top 2 teams from each group meet in the semi finals.

The two semi finals winners then play off for the national final at the MCG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting.

The Vic Metro team would be tough to pick right now, but the Country boys would be even tougher to pick.

Back