Create your ideal commentary team for big matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

In the wake of trying to erase the 2015 Grand Final from memory, ive watched a couple of big Eagles matches (94 GF, 2006 Geelong game) and one of the things that makes a game great to watch on replay is the commentators. But it can also take a bit of the gloss off a great memory if they commentators are rubbish (2015 QF against Hawks).

If I were to pick my ideal commentary team for my team playing in a grand final that won, these are the commentators from both TV and Radio that I would want calling the game:

Main
  • Anthony Hudson: been the best in the business ever since the unfortunate passing of Clyton Grybas. Knows how to enhance passages of play, and when to tone it down. Has the voice for calling spectacular plays.
  • Gerard Whately: knows his footy, no nonsense accurate calling of the game. Articulate commentator who should be on the television broadcast.
  • Drew Morphett: i consider the most underrated footy commentator. Gets genuinely excited in commentating the best players from all teams. No bullcrap bias.

Special comments:

• Wayne Carey: calls it as he sees it. Even great players are called out for bad plays. Doesnt get sucked into the boys club sheep mentality.
  • Peter Bell: the most knowledgeable footy personality ive ever heard. Gun football player, and probably even better footy analyst. Could easily coach an AFL team.

Honourable mentions: Tim Lane and Eddie McGuire when they arent calling Magpie or Carlton games.

Over to you bigfooty. If your team was playing on Grand Final day and won, and certain phrases were to be etched into your memory forever (LEO BARRY YOU STAR), which commentators would you want in the box, both main and special comments?

dont get why we need 5 commentators for a game.

Surely 2 commentators in the box and 1 on the ground level would be sufficient......

Gerard Whately should be on television commentary.

Also realistically, I'm fine with anyone asides from Basil and Darcy. Provided it's only two and they're constantly changed up, I.e BT with McAvaney one week. Only one special comments, leave the panel for half time for proper analysis. None of this package stuff.

Only call the game during the game, if there has to be behind the play calls leave it to the special comment person. Preferably Wayne Carey.

Surely 2 commentators in the box and 1 on the ground level would be sufficient......

Ideally I'd go two play by play callers, one colour commentator, one boundary rider.

Just seems to be the make up for big matches. Its better than what it was a couple of years back when there were 7 commentators in the box

Gorilla Monsoon
Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
"Macho Man" Randy Savage

Great 3 man booth right there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BT, Hame, James Brayshaw with Brad Sewell doing special comments

Play-by-play
Rex Hunt
Anthony Hudson
Clinton Grybas

Special comments:
Mick Malthouse