List Mgmt. Credit where due...

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading up on our apparent movements regarding Kelly, Martin, Fyfe and Heeney last year has had me pondering a few things over the last couple of days and I thought it was worth putting them in a new thread. I'll try to be succinct however irrespective of whether we land any or all of the first 3 names on that list I thought the list management team and the club in general deserved a bit of credit for what these moves indicate about us.

1 - We clearly have not been overpaying our list over the last few years on the whole to be left with this amount of room. While we didn't quite get that 5th flag both our drafting and payment structure would indicate that we haven't been reckless, just dogged in pursuit of this.
2 - Arguably if you look at raw payment figures we didn't internally rate our list as amongst the top few in the league over this time either. We gave some stalwarts a chance at pinching it but the resources into the players indicate that we were off the mark. Clearly there is more to football than the $ out the door but it is not an insignificant factor.
3 - There is also arguably a message in all this on what we feel is reasonable to expect from Brad Scott out of the list. There is an argument that a team that was able to obtain the players necessary or develop them to take up more of this cap could have been that tiny bit more competitive in the last 3 seasons.

I don't mean this to be an across the board excuse for not being able to get the wins necessary. End of the day football is about wins and premierships - at least on field - however I do think that the movements we've been making indicate a level of respect for both the club and Brad holding a genuine long term view. We rolled the dice to pinch a flag we felt obtainable, but we don't appear to have mortgaged the future to do so. Whether the next one comes with Brad - or indeed any of the current admin and players, I think they deserve a fair bit of credit for managing a tight list. There are clubs out there that are paying significantly more to poorer performing teams that don't have the room we do to make these plays. There are more things to take from this but the above is the heart of it IMO.

There's some guts in this club yet.

Reading up on our apparent movements regarding Kelly, Martin, Fyfe and Heeney last year has had me pondering a few things over the last couple of days and I thought it was worth putting them in a new thread. I'll try to be succinct however irrespective of whether we land any or all of the first 3 names on that list I thought the list management team and the club in general deserved a bit of credit for what these moves indicate about us.

1 - We clearly have not been overpaying our list over the last few years on the whole to be left with this amount of room. While we didn't quite get that 5th flag both our drafting and payment structure would indicate that we haven't been reckless, just dogged in pursuit of this.
2 - Arguably if you look at raw payment figures we didn't internally rate our list as amongst the top few in the league over this time either. We gave some stalwarts a chance at pinching it but the resources into the players indicate that we were off the mark. Clearly there is more to football than the $ out the door but it is not an insignificant factor.
3 - There is also arguably a message in all this on what we feel is reasonable to expect from Brad Scott out of the list. There is an argument that a team that was able to obtain the players necessary or develop them to take up more of this cap could have been that tiny bit more competitive in the last 3 seasons.

I don't mean this to be an across the board excuse for not being able to get the wins necessary. End of the day football is about wins and premierships - at least on field - however I do think that the movements we've been making indicate a level of respect for both the club and Brad holding a genuine long term view. We rolled the dice to pinch a flag we felt obtainable, but we don't appear to have mortgaged the future to do so. Whether the next one comes with Brad - or indeed any of the current admin and players, I think they deserve a fair bit of credit for managing a tight list. There are clubs out there that are paying significantly more to poorer performing teams that don't have the room we do to make these plays. There are more things to take from this but the above is the heart of it IMO.

Magnificent post......

Excellent post. In absolute agreeance,

This along with the transformation of Arden St and 'no gambling' policy that we have really doesn't get that much recognition in the media anymore. But, us supporters see it and we respect the board and JB (when he was at the helm) for transforming a club on the brink of relocation to a 35 000 - 40 000 member club with heaps of money left in the bank for potential rewarding investments. I remember the days of 2009-10 when the seats between the goals and the wings were empty for most of our games. We hardly had any 'electric' atmosphere compared to what we have now that our younger guys can experience. Which is why we are all so grateful.

It feels good that you know the club you support is doing fine and when you see the younger players playing on the field, you start to think about what happens in the near future.

It was painful to watch inconsistency and lack of leadership at stages during our attempt at it, but I guess it was worth it to see success and smiles from Brad Scott and the boys. It wasn't going to last forever as we have seen with other teams. But I reckon we might see some more success sooner rather than later.

Hopefully...

I think the loyalty to the one club for our club as we know it is over.......and even I found myself surprised writing this when Ive posted about getting Jack Billings and to a lesser extent Ben Lennon to join Lukey McDonald.
Since Scott has been at the club when we had club warriors like Drewy, Spud , Boomer and Wells our list management strategy was to peak before their times were over. But we did in a way that was thrifty ......we didnt lose picks in drafts other than the Anderson deal ( with the club probably seeing him as a quick fix in the speed department) history will show that injuries to Wells, Dal and Higgins stiffled our real chances in 2015-16.

I think the drafting of what could be our spine in 5 yrs time > EVW, Durdin, Mckay and never to forget BBB will save us coin and whoever pushed to get these lads back then whilst we were striving for the ultimate prize 2015-16 could be seen in time a very prudent call. Please remember that new afl payments discussion were in action at the time, even now, it has dragged on.......so there will be "room" as well as time when the time comes based on what these players do on the park to pay them accordingly. I still believe that a larger slice of our salary cap needs to go quality midfielders and a power forward. It would have to be an exceptional backman to break this rule.......and as many here know my stance on ruckmens salary.

The wins and losses issue......to me these days as an older head doesn't sit as a priority to me , its how you play, its displaying guts and showing the will to win that's what is important to me. If the odd premiership comes along well thats well and good.

Remember we have had the spectre of relocating to the GC hanging over the club not so long ago. If this Kelly deal is real then its a statement of all the hard work that went on from the Brayshaw/Rocca years to today. Its an affirmation that a new era is upon the club and with continuing prudent management the club should thrive.

Last edited:
My mail is also that slot of our emerging best players hitting their peaks now, such as Ziebell, Cunnington & others, have had their contracts front loaded from early on. That has given us capacity to have multiple cracks at A-graders, & can take more than one if the bait is taken.

Front loading, could not find on pr0n hub, sounds like it should be there o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As in hit them with pool cues?

That's a bit harsh.

In the interests of (trying) to use the Queen's English, this is the cue I am using.

VERB
[WITH OBJECT]
  • 1Give a cue to or for.

‘Ros and Guil, cued by Hamlet, also bow deeply’
    1. 1.1 Act as a prompt or reminder.
      ‘have a list of needs and questions on paper to cue you’
  • 2Set a piece of audio or video equipment in readiness to play (a particular part of the recorded material)

‘there was a pause while she cued up the next tape’

In the interests of (trying) to use the Queen's English, this is the cue I am using.

VERB
[WITH OBJECT]
  • 1Give a cue to or for.

‘Ros and Guil, cued by Hamlet, also bow deeply’
    1. 1.1 Act as a prompt or reminder.
      ‘have a list of needs and questions on paper to cue you’
  • 2Set a piece of audio or video equipment in readiness to play (a particular part of the recorded material)

‘there was a pause while she cued up the next tape’

Whereas queue might be defined as

Remove this Banner Ad

Back