Credlin: It was never a carbon "tax". We just pretended it was for political gain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Peta Credlin admits the climate change policy under Julia Gillard's Labor government was never a carbon tax, but the coalition used that label to stir up brutal retail politics.

Credlin, the former chief of staff to Tony Abbott when he was prime minister and now a political commentator for Sky News, said the coalition made it a "carbon tax" and a fight about the hip pocket rather than the environment.

"That was brutal retail politics, and it took Abbott six months to cut through and when he did cut through Gillard was gone," she told Sky News on Sunday.

https://thewest.com.au/politics/carbon-tax-just-brutal-politics-credlin-ng-s-1674127

Half the population is too stupid to comprehend "maths methods" in year 11 high school. Why wouldn't the liberals assume enough voters are far too stupid to comprehend an ETS as anything else besides "big words" and "fancy schmancy legal mumbo jumbo"?

It can only be perceived as a tax by those too stupid to understand it. Of course the lnp could get away with claiming it was a tax!! Probably can't get away with calling a sheep a horse though that's probably where they draw the line when trying to fool such inept voters.

Probably can't get away with calling a sheep a horse though that's probably where they draw the line when trying to fool such inept voters.

Just a dam and her foal, nothing to see here.

1843904493_99dbe6c635_z.jpg

• Admin
I'm not sure how a carbon tax isn't a carbon tax.

I'm not sure how an ETS isn't an investment bankers wet dream.

Does anyone remember the tax or do people want to reinvent history?
Come on. You've got the people who invented the term admitting it was never a tax.

Quite apart from the fact the word "tax" has a specific legal meaning.

Come on. You've got the people who invented the term admitting it was never a tax.

Quite apart from the fact the word "tax" has a specific legal meaning.

Oh dear

It was introduced in form and substance as a tax. It was then transitioning to an investment bankers wet dream as an ETS.

I recall a 24 month or 36 month target to an ETS.

For the record, a tax is better than an ETS as the benefit is the govt not bankers. An ETS is open to arbitrage an manipulation that could strangle industry due to thin markets.

In short the worst thing we could have done was an ETS and the tax a better option of the two. There are better options than both but there not politically easy.

Oh dear

It was introduced in form and substance as a tax. It was then transitioning to an investment bankers wet dream as an ETS.

I recall a 24 month or 36 month target to an ETS.

For the record, a tax is better than an ETS as the benefit is the govt not bankers. An ETS is open to arbitrage an manipulation that could strangle industry due to thin markets.

In short the worst thing we could have done was an ETS and the tax a better option of the two. There are better options than both but there not politically easy.
What you should perhaps do is go and argue this with Peta Credlin who seems to know nothing about LNP strategy from the time she was working for Abbott.

What you should perhaps do is go and argue this with Peta Credlin who seems to know nothing about LNP strategy from the time she was working for Abbott.

I would prefer to stick with the facts

It raised money.
ie like a tax
emissions fell,.
And I must say I'm enjoying the resultant cool wet conditions here in the west.
and the economy continued to grow
Should have just worn the recession instead of artificially propping up the economy with borrowed money and the immigration Ponzi. Now we have a broken economy, no mining, welfare dependency, unsustainable population growth and record debt.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ie like a tax

And I must say I'm enjoying the resultant cool wet conditions here in the west.

Should have just worn the recession instead of artificially propping up the economy with borrowed money and the immigration Ponzi. Now we have a broken economy, no mining, out of control welfare dependency, unsustainable population growth and a record debt.

Trollollloloooy - Weather is not climate

Lucky. Because the coldest wettest year in 120 years doesn't exactly fit the narrative. Reminds me a Flannery declaring dam storage obsolete with drought a permanent staple of QLD and NSW climate.. just before the great rains
Yes it does. Climate is not one event. It's the whole thing. Adelaide rarely gets humid days, especially at 40 degrees, yet we had 3 in a row. We also had one of our wettest years. Followed by February rain average broken in one day. Sydney had floods in February.. you just don't get it and are so ignorant. Left, right, what ever, just stop being ignorant to proven science.

Given by your posts, one would think you are Malcolm Roberts' brother. Ignorant t, stupid and stubborn.

Abbott had to stay on message for a long time

Poisoned his time in power so hopefully no one will be quite so cynical again

Now let's just hear some impartial advice on power from the guy who screwed up the NBN project

were talking libs here, the party who wouldn't even use a freakin water pipeline because the ALP built it

Then they call their opponents 'ideological'

Last edited:
And acts like this is why it is normal for political parties to lie and we all lap it up
1) people overboard
2) mediscare
3) "there's disunity in the other party" - not until there's 100 media articles on the initial molehill which turns into an actual mountain because politicians are stupid and pay too much attention to the irrelevancy of opinion polls
4) perks and benefits rorts
etc

I think it was pretty clear they made it up when Shorten announced Labor's commitment to an ETS and Abbott said an ETS was basically the carbon tax brought back with a different name.

Gillard ruled out introducing a carbon tax and was committed to an Emissions Trading Scheme, which is what she brought in except with a fixed price. Abbott and the Liberals were dishonest and we fell for it, and suffered an even worse Prime Minister than McMahon for our sins.

Lucky. Because the coldest wettest year in 120 years doesn't exactly fit the narrative. Reminds me a Flannery declaring dam storage obsolete with drought a permanent staple of QLD and NSW climate.. just before the great rains

Climate modelling suggests a significant increase in extreme weather events. Long droughts, extreme cold snaps, increased intensity/length rain events and increased intensity/frequency storm events are examples of these extreme events.

Don't know why I'd bother pointing out the obvious to you though; it seems you've decided what you want to believe and choose the 'facts' to suit, rather than investigating the wealth of peer-reviewed climate research and masses of available data about these types of weather events over the past 20 years.

Ah yes one man's inaccurate prediction besmirches all climate science and oceanographic research for the last 30 years - next cliche surely will be "the jury is still out?" - when did science cease to be a Conservative project?

propaganda-devices-23-638.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back