Cricket 2016/17

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, he outscored that gun Australian batsman in Maddinson

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

No wonder you blokes cry so much when the team gets beaten, you will just continue to put s**t on anyone that isn't someone that you would pick until they fail then carry on like it is conclusive proof that you were right.:bomb:

No wonder you blokes cry so much when the team gets beaten, you will just continue to put s**t on anyone that isn't someone that you would pick until they fail then carry on like it is conclusive proof that you were right.:bomb:
When has Maddinson performed consistently at state level to Warrant selection?

His state career is proof.

When has Maddinson performed consistently at state level to Warrant selection?

His state career is proof.

Compared to?
They all average high 30's to mid 40's.
History tells you that there isn't any discernible difference between players in that range.
Only need to look at yesteryear players who all mostly averaged 50+.

Every numpty in this thread will scream blue murder about Pete Neville but he has a higher First Class average than everyone bar Smith & Warner, the only 2 locks for the test team.

Because players like J. Maher, J. Cox, S. Law, J. Siddons, etc... could actually bat and dominated Shield seasons for years but never got a look in. M. Hayden, J. Langer, M. Hussey, etc.... actually had to consistently bat well to get a test spot, and then bat well to hold it.

The quality in domestic cricket has deteriorated massively. Even bowlers in that era that were not playing test cricket, where better than the bowlers now.

Maddinson is definitely low down on my list for current first class players that deserve a spot in the national team.

Every numpty in this thread will scream blue murder about Pete Neville but he has a higher First Class average than everyone bar Smith & Warner, the only 2 locks for the test team.

I actually really rate Neville, but am a little bemused how bad he was at batting in the test arena. And his form in the test arena did not warrant he keep his spot. (I actually think he is the best keeper/batsman currently in the country),

But its a funny thing, I want cricketers to play well to earn/keep their positions.

Because players like J. Maher, J. Cox, S. Law, J. Siddons, etc... could actually bat and dominated Shield seasons for years but never got a look in. M. Hayden, J. Langer, M. Hussey, etc.... actually had to consistently bat well to get a test spot, and then bat well to hold it.

Maddinson is definitely low down on my list fir current first class players that deserve a spot in the national team.

I actually really rate Neville, but am a little bemused how bad he was at batting in the test arena.

Still missed the point.
All there is to choose from is virtually the same.
Saying one player is ahead of another is not true.
Picking players on gut feel is what they have done. Maddinson is as talented as they come, his record is a bit up and down but there have been clear signs he has what it takes to succeed at test level.

Obviously I rate Maddinson but I reckon Travis Head has been hard done by and with the supposed change-up they should have stuck with Mitch Marsh as a bowling all-rounder (i.e. bat him after the keeper).

Still haven't seen you put up an argument other than pretend you know better.

That kind of 'discussion' could be the reason your best friend is Nivea...just sayin' :darts:
I will back miggs every day of the week over yourself, lethal weapon with the ball and the chicks. Just checking did the baggy blue get one up the shoot tonight.

Compared to?
They all average high 30's to mid 40's.
History tells you that there isn't any discernible difference between players in that range.

He didn't perform for a good enough amount of time that he got dropped. Simple.

If he puts up the runs domestically then he'll force his way back in. Again, pretty simple.

Not saying he isn't a good keeper or he shouldn't be in the side just not while his form was as bad as it was before he got dropped. That goes for any player IMO. You don't perform for a tour or so then you should be made to prove why you deserve a baggy green.

So how can you say Maddinson is better than any other state cricketer and deserves a spot?

If he is not ahead of batsmen in state cricket, why is he playing for Australia?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey 37, I'm glad I finally joined BF and can enjoy & occasionally partake in the friendly banter that happens here.

And I'm being completely honest when I say I really enjoy reading your posts and value your opinion.

'Numpty' is one of my personal favourite insults.

It's a clear sign that we are all very different when I reserve its use to when I'm referring to druggies and crooks and would never direct it at well-meaning people who may share a different point of view.

I like cricket. Not enough to give too much of a s**t who is selected TBH - just hope to see those who are make the very most of their opportunities.

Still missed the point.
All there is to choose from is virtually the same.
Picking players on gut feel is what they have done. Maddinson is as talented as they come, his record is a bit up and down but there have been clear signs he has what it takes to succeed at test level.

Obviously I rate Maddinson but I reckon Travis Head has been hard done by and with the supposed change-up they should have stuck with Mitch Marsh as a bowling all-rounder (i.e. bat him after the keeper).

Agree with Head

Rather see him get a test than bloody mitch useless marsh

I will back miggs every day of the week over yourself, lethal weapon with the ball and the chicks. Just checking did the baggy blue get one up the shoot tonight.

How the Dickens can a bloke that, by his own admission, can't even get a girlfriend be lethal with the chicks?*
That's like you're** other words of wisdom like saying Siddle is a test bowler.

:bomb:

* No offence Miggs
** Note the correct spelling for future use.

Just my opinion.

So I can't have an opinion but a differing view? My view gets attacked from you and I quote:

you will just continue to put s**t on anyone that isn't someone that you would pick until they fail then carry on like it is conclusive proof that you were right

Yet you say that Maddinson is not above other cricketers but your gut feel... Haha, ok..... Good to know you have nothing to back up what you write

Hey 37, I'm glad I finally joined BF and can enjoy & occasionally partake in the friendly banter that happens here.

And I'm being completely honest when I say I really enjoy reading your posts and value your opinion.

'Numpty' is one of my personal favourite insults.

It's a clear sign that we are all very different when I reserve its use to when I'm referring to druggies and crooks and would never direct it at well-meaning people who may share a different point of view.

I like cricket. Not enough to give too much of a s**t who is selected TBH - just hope to see those who are make the very most of their opportunities.

Unfortunately MaxM in the off-season this place sometimes resembles Hindley Street on a Tuesday night...and we both know what type of people frequent Hindley St on a Tuesday night....so numpty may just be the apt pejorative. ;)

Last edited:
So I can't have an opinion but a differing view? My view gets attacked from you and I quote:

Yet you say that Maddinson is not above other cricketers but your gut feel... Haha, ok..... Good to know you have nothing to back up what you write

I don't have any problem with anybody expressing their view.
Saying Maddinson is s**t (as you have done, or words to that effect) with no substantiation is not any way to have a meaningful discussion...

I don't hold myself out to be an expert anymore than anyone else, just my opinion...I have no doubt that Maddinson is good enough to play test cricket. I think that his technique is better than anyone elses. He doesn't just plonk his foot down the pitch and swing like many of players these days. I know for a fact that he struggles with the mental side of the game and I also know that he was given mentoring by some past players in order to get him to perform to his potential because lots of people that matter think he is good enough to play test cricket.

I know for a fact that he struggles with the mental side of the game

How can a player struggle mentally with cricket and the game, yet be good enough for Test Cricket??? Shouldn't he be mentally prepared for test cricket before being selected, rather than struggling???

I think he has the skills and technique to be a test cricket, but you hit the nail on the head he doesn't have mentality to be a good test cricketer. Hence on his first class form with how he plays, he shouldn't be selected.

I stand by what I say, he is not ready for test cricket and shouldn't be playing. Really everything you write, supports my belief he is not good enough and shouldn't be in the team.

Agree with Head

Rather see him get a test than bloody mitch useless marsh

Rather not see Maddinson and Head. Neither have done it at Shield level. You are taking one almighty gamble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back