Cricket 2016/17

Remove this Banner Ad

But 40 in first class overall and has matured in recent years

Been a key part of a successful vic side.

40 with the ball is handy

Now we have handscomb in the side he can hold an innings and Maxwell gives you that Gilchrist style matchwinner

Plus another off spin option.

I'd rather have someone I can depend on getting 40-50 and using up deliveries at worst which is critical if you are saving test matches. You can't assume every test you will be on top. If we actually had a keeper that can really bat (lets cut to the chase both Wade and Nevill and pretty average at best) then a Maxwell type at 6 could work. But half the problem we have is both our 6 and 7 are walking wickets. My personal view is that I would give Cartwright a good opportunity, there could be something there, otherwise for the short term (and it better be short term) I'd look at SMarsh at 6.

I just think the idea you cant trust him is wrong but will agree to disagree

I'll give you a scenario you are chasing/saving a test match and you are say 4/120 on the last day. Do you really want a Maxwell type coming in and trying to hit a ball for 6? Or would you prefer a more stodgy solid batsman who at least would bat time.

You really need an elite batting keeper to justify a Maxwell type at 6, and then again I don't see him being any better than Mitch Marsh, and I don't want Mitch Marsh near a test side.

Yes but better in India/subcontinent than @ home. He's had some good knocks over there if I recall.

Scored a hundred in the last test in SL after we for some reason left him out and played duds like Burns in the first 2 tests.

I'll give you a scenario you are chasing/saving a test match and you are say 4/120 on the last day. Do you really want a Maxwell type coming in and trying to hit a ball for 6? Or would you prefer a more stodgy solid batsman who at least would bat time.

You really need an elite batting keeper to justify a Maxwell type at 6, and then again I don't see him being any better than Mitch Marsh, and I don't want Mitch Marsh near a test side.

Two problems

1- I said why pick the test side on the basis you will be losing or saving games all the time. I also think Renshaw, Warner, Kahwajha, Smith, Hanscomb gives us a very good top order so this should not be that big an issue. Also you point out the keepers are stuffed so if we are in that scenario he will be watching the collapse from the other end anyway

2- I already said I believe this is a myth that he would go ohh 4/120 we need to bat time here Ill try to slog everything, that is your view not mine

End of the day Lukey I am picking the man with a shitload of proven talent. Who has never been given the go of others]

Putting plodders in the team has not worked anyway, People say S Marsh, but he has only played in 50% of winning games, he averages 37 when we win, and in the losses he averages 27. So what did he give us.

How about at 4/120 having a guy to bat with handscomb or whoever is there and trying to turn the game back to us if possible

End of the day Lukey I am picking the man with a shitload of proven talent. Who has never been given the go of others]

Putting plodders in the team has not worked anyway, People say S Marsh, but he has only played in 50% of winning games, he averages 37 when we win, and in the losses he averages 27. So what did he give us.

How about at 4/120 having a guy to bat with handscomb or whoever is there and trying to turn the game back to us if possible
Maxy 2 years ago saved the Bushrangers arse on about 3 occasions, by putting his head down and not throwing his wicket away. He can do it.
An example is that he has only played 40 odd 1st class games , due to 20 and 50 over games, in the same time Buck Rodgers played about 100. It's all about the shortened games these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxy 2 years ago saved the Bushrangers arse on about 3 occasions, by putting his head down and not throwing his wicket away. He can do it.
An example is that he has only played 40 odd 1st class games , due to 20 and 50 over games, in the same time Buck Rodgers played about 100. It's all about the shortened games these days.

exactly

You dont average 40 throwing your wicket away now do you, would be down in the 20s

Lukey would of Dropped Botham back in the 81 Ashes because he might not knuckle down during a follow on

Bloody good total considering they were let down at the start

Bloody good total considering they were let down at the start

Lynn's wicket was absolutely idiotic!!!

Feel sorry for Stanlake at the moment. On debut, and you look like someone that wakes up with a hangover after eating a dirty kebab the night before.

Last edited:
Bloody great catch Marsh!

Victoria 1 NSW 0.
I rest my case.
Yeah the 54/54 wickets taken by NSW bowlers in the test series really supports your case, along with the 2 top run scorers being from NSW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back