Cricket at Metricon stadium

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Calling a GC BBL team the Suns would be crazy. It will need its own identity and colours.
Both the Titans and Suns have Gold and Blue in their colours so if it was me I’d use those two colours and use a Beachy Name like The Waves.
Gold Coast Waves (Colours Blue/Gold)
Done

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Calling a GC BBL team the Suns would be crazy. It will need its own identity and colours.
Both the Titans and Suns have Gold and Blue in their colours so if it was me I’d use those two colours and use a Beachy Name like The Waves.
Gold Coast Waves (Colours Blue/Gold)
Done
Supernovas

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
I have a feeling a GC big bash team would be mostly gold (same shade as the Newcastle Jets' original colours)
Yeah, I've always envisioned our BBL team as being the reverse of our AFL strip with Yellow/Gold being predominant over the red.

You'd have to stray away from the existing colours (Red, Green, Blue, Orange, Magenta, Lime Green, Purple and Teal) and yellow stands out as one of the core colours on the spectrum that hasn't been used.

As for names, Gold Coast Guards (Short for lifeguards ovbs) is the catchiest one i've had come across my mind but some of the others aren't bad, Surge would be another one that is a good left field idea.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Supernovas is pretty cool - and fits the theme of BBL teams mostly having names that aren't actual "mascots", like Strikers and Heat.

Yeah, I've always envisioned our BBL team as being the reverse of our AFL strip with Yellow/Gold being predominant over the red.

You'd have to stray away from the existing colours (Red, Green, Blue, Orange, Magenta, Lime Green, Purple and Teal) and yellow stands out as one of the core colours on the spectrum that hasn't been used.

As for names, Gold Coast Guards (Short for lifeguards ovbs) is the catchiest one i've had come across my mind but some of the others aren't bad, Surge would be another one that is a good left field idea.
Was talking this shade of gold

Screenshot_20180509-090112.png

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
any other suns members taking advantage of the pre-sale which starts tomorrow, for the t20 against south africa in november?
did anyone figure out which way the pitch will be orientated?

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
any other suns members taking advantage of the pre-sale which starts tomorrow, for the t20 against south africa in november?
did anyone figure out which way the pitch will be orientated?
It will go from the north-western pocket to the south-eastern, from what I know.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
makes sense. was thinking it couldn't be fully north/south, as the media box would be almost perpendicular to the pitch which is pretty rare for cricket grounds i thought.
Very rare but not impossible. The number of cameras you get thesedays they could commentate from their loungerooms.
The first cricket at Colonial/Telstra/Etihad/Marvel was commentated from the footy commentary box at midwicket. Now they use a corporate box in the standard location.

I think it's more that it means people can sit above the sightscreen at both ends of the ground, and the main members' seating isn't in that (apparently) undesirable location of being totally square-on to the pitch (I'm from Adelaide so used to it!).

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I can't remember which ground it is but there is definitely one Australian ground where they sit on. Jim Maxwell complains about it for 5 days.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
The only Test venue I can't promise is behind the bowler's arm is Brisbane. But I'm pretty sure that it is at least pretty close due to the alignment of the pitch vs the footy field being somewhere around 90° rotation.
Adelaide yes (Riverbank stand)
MCG yes (northern stand)
Bellerive yes (southern stand)
WACA yes (only stands are behind the bowler)
SCG yes (Noble/Bradman stand)
Optus yes (northern stand)

gosuns!

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The only Test venue I can't promise is behind the bowler's arm is Brisbane. But I'm pretty sure that it is at least pretty close due to the alignment of the pitch vs the footy field being somewhere around 90° rotation.
Adelaide yes (Riverbank stand)
MCG yes (northern stand)
Bellerive yes (southern stand)
WACA yes (only stands are behind the bowler)
SCG yes (Noble/Bradman stand)
Optus yes (northern stand)
Yeah it might be, or I was exaggerating the amount of Maxwell moaning and it was a 1 dayer at Manuka.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hopefully local TSS boy Billy Stanlake gets to play in front of his home crowd in this game.

I would encourage everyone on the Gold Coast to attend this game. A large crowd would convince Cricket Australia that granting the Gold Coast a BBL licence is worth the risk. It would also create a much needed summer revenue stream for the Suns and allow them to become a profitable football club.

Bottom line - It's very important for the future of the Suns that this cricket match is well attended.

GC BBL franchise would be incredibly successful, there wouldn't be that emotional attachment with BBL that people would have with their AFL/NRL team. I would never switch from Lions or Broncos but depending on circumstances at the time it happens could be open to switching from Renegades to the new GC team

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
GC BBL franchise would be incredibly successful, there wouldn't be that emotional attachment with BBL that people would have with their AFL/NRL team. I would never switch from Lions or Broncos but depending on circumstances at the time it happens could be open to switching from Renegades to the new GC team
Unless they renegotiate a deal with QLD stadiums I can't see it happening. Suns will make NO money from the T20 match against SA!

Back