Cricket Australia Contracts 2017/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I think everything is going to be alright.
Yesterday CA sent me an email:
The countdown is on to Our Greatest Test, when Australia takes on England in the Men's 2017-18 Ashes Series. Next Tuesday you will receive exclusive early bird access to purchase tickets to the Perth Ashes Test.

I think everything is going to be alright.
Yesterday CA sent me an email:
The countdown is on to Our Greatest Test, when Australia takes on England in the Men's 2017-18 Ashes Series. Next Tuesday you will receive exclusive early bird access to purchase tickets to the Perth Ashes Test.
I'm plenty femmo but do they really need be called the men's Ashes? There is no equivalent trophy for the woman.

Nah it will be for the pointless India one dayers and Bangladesh will get shafted as per usual
Pretty sure if they try and shaft India, they will get it back ten fold. They may be only one dayers, but they make a lot of money on them.
CA still living in the 50's and believe that they will outlast the players. With an Ashes series 16 weeks away from starting, they will want to make sure they get their tactics right. Australia hasn't played a Test for a while, and all there is no the horizon are one day matches. All the Shield teams would be training but when you are not getting paid, and the bills keep coming in, your attention will drift. If the Poms come over and smash us (which is pretty likely) then the public will turn on CA and the players. Face facts, most people are really interested in the Ashes and an India series and occasionally the Kiwis when they put up a fight.

Think i saw something the other day that players had voted to not tour...

Not quite the whole story, it was conditional on a few things and given the seeming upswing in positivity in the press from both sides will hopefully not be an issue.

They don't play for a small wooden urn known as the Ashes.

they burnt "things" and put the ashes in a trophy.
_84380278_img_8493.jpg

In a ceremony at the Harris Garden inside Lord’s, a bat signed by the two competing teams, a copy of the Women’s Cricket Association (WCA) constitution and the rules book were burnt, with the Ashes of the items sealed in a 300-year-old yew tree trophy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish David Warner would shut his gob on this contract stuff. I bet he and the rest of his high rolling mates are shelling out to help their younger state team mates pay their rent and bills while this drags on. He has completely lost me this bloke

Of course ACA want mediation rather than arbitration.
If ACA don't like the result of mediation they just walk away and protract the situation until they get closer to what they want.
Arbitration will produce an outcome that will be binding to both parties.

Both parties are going to need to compromise ( and it would appear by some margin for both parties, given their current stances ) before play is resumed.

Hard to see how ACA can compromise as the have steadfastly maintained from the outset that its keep the "MOU as is without any changes" or they don't play.
CA has done a horrible job explaining WHY they want to implement changes to the structure of the current MOU.

We the public have been kept in the dark as to just how CA plan to fund their new proposal.
Hard to form any sort of meaningful opinion about the changes unless we know what those changes are.

I have no idea what is right or wrong with this whole sordid affair,its become a total cluster f***.

One thing is for sure IMO and that there will be bad blood between both parties for the foreseeable future as the the whole fiasco has been handled so badly by both parties.

There will be casualties of this war and the Australian Cricket loving public will be one of them.

One thing is for sure IMO and that there will be bad blood between both parties for the foreseeable future as the the whole fiasco has been handled so badly by both parties.

There will be casualties of this war and the Australian Cricket loving public will be one of them.

This x1000

The other casualties will be the players on the fringes that could have done with the Australia A and the Bangers tour. Players like Maxwell, Cartwright and even Ashton Agar would have been given a decent run on these tours to play some actual cricket and press their case. With the next tour being the Ashes it's hard to see these guys getting a look in on the test team.

Of course ACA want mediation rather than arbitration.
If ACA don't like the result of mediation they just walk away and protract the situation until they get closer to what they want.
Arbitration will produce an outcome that will be binding to both parties.

Arbitration is also heavily stacked against workers, and has been for 15 years.

It seems like everyone is firmly on the side of the players with this. I'm not sure it's so simple.

The main issue is about linking player earnings to a % of CA's revenue. This is how it's always been done, and it's how the players want it to stay. CA wants to break away from a set percentage of revenue, and instead negotiate fixed increases in the contract pool. ie 3% increase in the pool each year, regardless of CA's revenue.

The reason CA wants to do this, is that they're looking into alternate broadcasting models for cricket. If CA were to break up with channel 9/10 in the future, and instead produce their own content digitally, this would fundamentally change the revenue structure of the business.

CA offering all cricket matches, live, in HD via a streaming service on their website for example, would likely lead to a huge increase in revenue. Great right? CA gets more money, the players automatically get more money too. Everyone is happy. Except CA also has a huge increase in costs that they've never had before.

This kind of setup might include a 300% increase in revenue, but only a 10% increase in overall profitability. Normally you would want a business to pursue something like this, a 10% increase in profitability is fantastic. However with player contracts linked to revenue, they would also be getting a 300% increase in revenue, and that profitability number dissapears, so the deal doesn't get done. The game is worse off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back