Cricket Australia Gold - 24/7 Channel

Remove this Banner Ad

icyflakes

All Australian
Jun 20, 2023
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought I'd start a little thread about a great channel Cricket Australia started recently where they play non-stop videos from their archives that seem to be mostly edited to get rid of the downtime.

It's been so fun to watch so far. Was watching Super 8's yesterday, currently watching India vs West Indies at Adelaide Oval in what I think is a late 80's/early 90's match?

Currently watching Mike Whitney, the man who hosted Who Dares Wins, absolutely shitting on the Indian team

AB just dropped a catch from Steve Waugh bowling. Never seen a man look so pissed but so defeated

Travis Boon just got bowled first ball by Kapil Dev, gotta love it

Andy Flower currently batting for Zimbabwe against England at the Gabba - I think its the World Series 1995?

They are showing an India v Australia test now from 85/86 at the Adelaide Oval and Kapil Dev just picked up the wicket of Wayne Phillips.

Roger Binny getting the wicket of Geoff Marsh shortly after batting at no.3 and then Kapil Dev bowled Border with a rip snorter.

Boon playing a great knock without any headwear at all, not a helmet or even a cap, Border at least wore the baggy green cap.

Strange looking back on it now how many batsmen back then didn't wear helmets, they wore them against the Windies fast bowlers though.

Sunny Gavaskar facing up to Craig McDermott and Merv Hughes in the white floppy hat.

A lot of Windies batsmen didn't wear helmets then either, Viv Richards, Richie Richardson and Carl Hooper all batted in caps or floppy hats.

They were all great players of the short ball though so bowlers didn't bowl many bouncers at them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are showing an India v Australia test now from 85/86 at the Adelaide Oval and Kapil Dev just picked up the wicket of Wayne Phillips.

Roger Binny getting the wicket of Geoff Marsh shortly after batting at no.3 and then Kapil Dev bowled Border with a rip snorter.

Boon playing a great knock without any headwear at all, not a helmet or even a cap, Border at least wore the baggy green cap.

Strange looking back on it now how many batsmen back then didn't wear helmets, they wore them against the Windies fast bowlers though.
Merv Hughes' Test debut.

t
Sunny Gavaskar facing up to Craig McDermott and Merv Hughes in the white floppy hat.

A lot of Windies batsmen didn't wear helmets then either, Viv Richards, Richie Richardson and Carl Hooper all batted in caps or floppy hats.

They were all great players of the short ball though so bowlers didn't bowl many bouncers at them.
Ive noticed the 'hook shot' was more common back then and theyd often go for 6. Thats how these batsman protected their head. When they learned cricket as kids it was before helmets were invented (for cricket). Thats one way to protect the head. Will Pikovski take note

Merv Hughes' Test debut.

I think it was the test debuts for Bruce Reid and Geoff Marsh too.

Ive noticed the 'hook shot' was more common back then and theyd often go for 6. Thats how these batsman protected their head. When they learned cricket as kids it was before helmets were invented (for cricket). Thats one way to protect the head. Will Pikovski take note

Back when I was playing junior cricket in the 1980s they had helmets but not many kids wore them, only one guy in our team wore one.

I think it was the test debuts for Bruce Reid and Geoff Marsh too.

Back when I was playing junior cricket in the 1980s they had helmets but not many kids wore them, only one guy in our team wore one.
The hesitancy to wear a helmet in all sports has always made me laugh.

I'm a snowboarder and I'll admit I didn't wear one for many years - back in the early 2010's you didnt even get offered a helmet when you started and were renting gear, so I just never considered it. Then it was a big purchase once I had all my other gear. But noticed a huge change in the past 7 or so years where it went from maybe 1 in 10 wearing a helmet to now its probably 8 in 10 wearing a helmet. Mountain bikers have been getting far better in recent years, Skateboarders seemed to have regressed if anything!

Also, the great cricket statistic of the box being invented 100 years before the helmet :D

The hesitancy to wear a helmet in all sports has always made me laugh.

I'm a snowboarder and I'll admit I didn't wear one for many years - back in the early 2010's you didnt even get offered a helmet when you started and were renting gear, so I just never considered it. Then it was a big purchase once I had all my other gear. But noticed a huge change in the past 7 or so years where it went from maybe 1 in 10 wearing a helmet to now its probably 8 in 10 wearing a helmet. Mountain bikers have been getting far better in recent years, Skateboarders seemed to have regressed if anything!

Also, the great cricket statistic of the box being invented 100 years before the helmet :D

The box was essential for anyone batting in cricket along with pads and gloves, every other bit of protective gear was seen as a luxury.

We had a team kit back in junior cricket with boxes, pads and gloves, everything else like thigh pads, helmets etc you had to buy yourself.

The box was essential for anyone batting in cricket along with pads and gloves, every other bit of protective gear was seen as a luxury.

We had a team kit back in junior cricket with boxes, pads and gloves, everything else like thigh pads, helmets etc you had to buy yourself.
I played mid-90s and helmet + thigh pads were the only thing the team guaranteed. Melbourne's western suburbs though so there wasn't a lot of money!

Wait, you guys shared the team boxes?!

I played mid-90s and helmet + thigh pads were the only thing the team guaranteed. Melbourne's western suburbs though so there wasn't a lot of money!

Wait, you guys shared the team boxes?!

You could use the team kit boxes, pads and gloves if you needed to or you forgot to bring your own but they weren't great quality ones.

I had my own box, pads and gloves, I had to borrow a thigh pad off one of my teammates though and helmets were even scarcer to find.

You could use the team kit boxes, pads and gloves if you needed to or you forgot to bring your own but they weren't great quality ones.

I had my own box, pads and gloves, I had to borrow a thigh pad off one of my teammates though and helmets were even scarcer to find.
I was the middle-class-rich frog in a poor pond and I can safely say a thigh pad was never on the cards, pretty sure the club had never seen one :p

But yeah, I was a spoilt child so I had nearly all the kit myself, only used the helmets from the club. So maybe there were more that I wasn't aware of

Well this is disappointing, Big Bash League back to back on the channel right now while all the other crickets finished :( It's barely even retro content!

Well this is disappointing, Big Bash League back to back on the channel right now while all the other crickets finished :( It's barely even retro content!

The retro Big Bash games from 10 years ago aren't as fun to watch as the old retro ODI games and test matches from 30 0r 40 years ago.

Assume you’re not calling Randell a ‘character’? He’s a POS.

Yeah I was having a bit of a lend calling him a character but he was seen as one back in those days with his minties.

There were far better Aussie umpires than him back then like Tony Crafter, Robin Bailhache and Mel Johnson, all very highly respected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back