Cricket Australia Gold - 24/7 Channel

Remove this Banner Ad

Faulkner playing for the old Melbourne Stars, what happened to him, he used to be the flavour of the month and then dropped off the map.
Shocking run with injuries and not the best professionalism.

Thanks for sharing the link to this OP, can't wait to give it a watch. Hopefully theres' plenty of retro 90s content.

Brett Lee bowling some serious heat for the Sixers, he could still bowl quick even in his twilight years, too quick for most BBL batsmen.

MacGill bowling for the Sixers too, Warne bowling for the Stars, you really start to feel old when even BBL games seem like a long time ago.

The retro Big Bash games from 10 years ago aren't as fun to watch as the old retro ODI games and test matches from 30 0r 40 years ago.

Yeah I was having a bit of a lend calling him a character but he was seen as one back in those days with his minties.

There were far better Aussie umpires than him back then like Tony Crafter, Robin Bailhache and Mel Johnson, all very highly respected.
You do remember why Steve Randell stopped umpiring, yeah? Nothing to do with how good an umpire he was.

mid-90's test match against the Windies on right now - not sure exactly when it was but Mcdermott was on a hattrick.

Langer's debut match and he gets absolutely smashed in the head first ball, looked like he was half out of it!

Bloody hell now Boony's been smacked directly in the elbow and had to be walked off the ground

The retro Big Bash games from 10 years ago aren't as fun to watch as the old retro ODI games and test matches from 30 0r 40 years ago.

Yeah I was having a bit of a lend calling him a character but he was seen as one back in those days with his minties.

There were far better Aussie umpires than him back then like Tony Crafter, Robin Bailhache and Mel Johnson, all very highly respected.
Yep and none of them were pedos. 👍

Some casual bat throwing down the legside off an offcut attempt :D
1707102644982.png

Interesting watching the 1995/96 Australia v Pakistan test at the SCG. Barely anybody in attendance on day 1. A stark contrast from how well attended the first three days of Sydney tests are these days.

Interesting watching the 1995/96 Australia v Pakistan test at the SCG. Barely anybody in attendance on day 1. A stark contrast from how well attended the first three days of Sydney tests are these days.
Wonder if there was a reason for it - It started on Nov 30th according to Pakistan beat Australia Pakistan won by 74 runs - Australia vs Pakistan, Pakistan tour of Australia, 3rd Test Sydney Cricket Ground November 30 - December 04, 1995 Match Summary, Report | ESPNcricinfo.com

Maybe the earlier start date didn't play well in Sydney?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching a lot of these old tests, I have a question - what was the reasoning behind coming into the pitch at an angle when bowling? Seems nearly every fast bowler and most of the spinners all come in at like a 45 degree angle to the pitch.

Watching a lot of these old tests, I have a question - what was the reasoning behind coming into the pitch at an angle when bowling? Seems nearly every fast bowler and most of the spinners all come in at like a 45 degree angle to the pitch.

Coming in on an angle helps you get side on in your delivery stride. In the last few decades, bowlers have moved more front on in their actions, which a straight line run up works well for.

Coming in on an angle helps you get side on in your delivery stride. In the last few decades, bowlers have moved more front on in their actions, which a straight line run up works well for.
Do you happen to know the reason for the change? Faster deliveries, less injury risk?

61,733 across 5 days.

The first test in Brisbane had only 23,000 across four days (and included a rest day on the Sunday!), and Hobart drew 18,000 across four days.

Pakistan not the greatest drawcard in those days, obviously.

61,733 across 5 days.

The first test in Brisbane had only 23,000 across four days (and included a rest day on the Sunday!), and Hobart drew 18,000 across four days.

Pakistan not the greatest drawcard in those days, obviously.
Probs more of a draw now with the level of immigration we've had from the region in the past 30 years!

I didn't even know it was on Youtube, I've been watching it on and off since the weekend through the litany of random online channels you get through your Samsung tv.

I find these early 90s matches from my childhood impossible to turn off once I start watching them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back