Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Brick by brick I tells ya!

You've got the national broadcaster now referring to it exclusively as Invasion Day. If the feds had any balls they'd strip the ABC's funding and put it towards Aboriginal education.

(I note the useless campaigners didn't even put out a Cricket Book this summer.)

Dec 23, 2008
behind enemy lines
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apart from the public holiday I couldn't give a crap about Oz Day, it's NSW Day as far as I'm concerned.

But this is just pointless symbolism that will have no practical impact. You could change the date and let Aboriginals alone vote on what that date should be, and the "gap" wouldn't magically close.
You are correct in your assessment of the gap not closing. You are incorrect on your point about symbolism. Symbolism can and has been shown to elicit powerful emotions.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
You are correct in your assessment of the gap not closing. You are incorrect on your point about symbolism. Symbolism can and has been shown to elicit powerful emotions.
Sorry was a far bigger gesture and as far as I can see has had little or no practical impact.

You've got the national broadcaster now referring to it exclusively as Invasion Day. If the feds had any balls they'd strip the ABC's funding and put it towards Aboriginal education.

(I note the useless campaigners didn't even put out a Cricket Book this summer.)
It was an invasion Lachlan Macquarie regarded captured First Nation's people as prisoners of war. History doesn't care about your feelings I'm afraid.
ABC did put out a cricket book this summer too, our Patty was on the cover.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It was an invasion Lachlan Macquarie regarded captured First Nation's people as prisoners of war. History doesn't care about your feelings I'm afraid.
ABC did put out a cricket book this summer too, our Patty was on the cover.

There was no "Aboriginal nation", they didn't even have a word for the land mass.

The newsagent lied to me then.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
There was no "Aboriginal nation", they didn't even have a word for the land mass.

The newsagent lied to me then.

Yes what they should have done is traversed one of the biggest but least densely populated and borderline uninhabitable land masses on the planet and sat down and put together their own constitution and an agreed-upon unified language

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes what they should have done is traversed one of the biggest but least densely populated and borderline uninhabitable land masses on the planet and sat down and put together their own constitution and an agreed-upon unified language

Well they had 40,000 years and not a lot else to do.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes great point and the American Indians should have done the same.

In fact it’s amazing that africa didn’t just become one giant country prior to British, Dutch, french and Belgian colonisation

All the more reason to fete January 26 as the day enlightenment arrived.

Africa is now in thrall to China so we'll see how that works out.

Last edited:

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah things are way better for all indigenous Australians. Poisoned water holes was a technological advancement they were just crying out for.

F*** what an archaic view.

Look at it this way. All the knowledge in the world is on offer, yet some choose to follow Geelong.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I’ve got a pretty solid knowledge of our results against Richmond for the two decades preceding their recent discovery of how to play football

In all seriousness it's tragic. They are a people caught in limbo, unable to go back and unwilling to go forward.

I generalise of course. It's why I donate annually to the AIEF - to help those making an effort.

Yeah things are way better for all indigenous Australians. Poisoned water holes was a technological advancement they were just crying out for.

F*** what an archaic view.
Bowie on Australia circa 1983,
“As much as I love this country, it is probably one of the most racially intolerant in the world, well in line with South Africa.”
I'd argue our racism isn't quite as structural as South Africa's was but his point stands true today.

The Cattery 1980

Debutant
Jan 17, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong

So much for their ABC being impartial. Defund it.

The Cattery 1980

Debutant
Jan 17, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Bowie on Australia circa 1983,

I'd argue our racism isn't quite as structural as South Africa's was but his point stands true today.
Speaking of structural racism and South Africa, what's up with the government targeting white farmers with eviction notices? These people are already facing a horrific homicide rate, and now the government wants to evict them from their land? Looks like we've got another Zimbabwe in the works. What a waste.

The Cattery 1980

Debutant
Jan 17, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Is that the Bowie who praised Hitler and said Britain was ready for a fascist leader? Who executed a Nazi salute while riding in an open-top Mercedes?

I might be asking the wrong guy as the comments were published in Playboy.
Wow, what a guy! We should really listen to his opinions on race relations.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

Wrong again.

The default terminology for the ABC remains “Australia Day”, as you can see here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/australiaday/

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Wrong again.

The default terminology for the ABC remains “Australia Day”, as you can see here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/australiaday/

The ABC has defended its decision to officially refer to January 26 as “Invasion Day”, maintaining it would be inappropriate to insist that staff only call it Australia Day or “use any one term over others in all contexts”.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bu...s/news-story/02716968228e314b196f7560b36dad53

You're arguing a technicality. It's insurrectionist behaviour, from the national broadcaster.

Cut the campaigners off at the knees and withhold funding. And cancel Ita's AOTY.

Back