Cricket Australia - Wrong Priorities

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowie didn’t praise Hitler he simply said he was a rock star and worked an audience better than Mick Jagger. Could anyone possibly disagree with that?
Whitewashing, he did technically say Hitler was a rock star but he was definitely praising him and specifically praising his political ideology. Also a statutory rapist.
I believe very strongly in fascism. The only way we can speed up the sort of liberalism that’s hanging foul in the air at the moment is to speed up the progress of a right-wing, totally dictatorial tyranny and get it over as fast as possible. People have always responded with greater efficiency under a regimental leadership. A liberal wastes time saying, “Well, now, what ideas have you got?” Show them what to do, for God’s sake. If you don’t, nothing will get done. I can’t stand people just hanging about. Television is the most successful fascist, needless to say. Rock stars are fascists, too. Adolf Hitler was one of the first rock stars.

Not sure why he is held up as a spiritual/moral guru and absolved entirely by some while Clapton is (correctly) held to account for his similar comments also made under drug haze in the 70's.

It made me laugh when Dutton wanted to import these knuckle draggers citing them as successful farmers. Let's see how much they can yield here without the slave labour they enjoy currently on farms in South Africa. .
Zimbabwe evicted white farmers from their land and recently begged them to return once the population began to starve. South Africa is scarily going down a similar path. Dutton should welcome them with open arms as they're not safe in South Africa anymore.

Whitewashing, he did technically say Hitler was a rock star but he was definitely praising him and specifically praising his political ideology. Also a statutory rapist.

Not sure why he is held up as a spiritual/moral guru and absolved entirely by some while Clapton is (correctly) held to account for his similar comments also made under drug haze in the 70's.

Well for one, what makes humanity wonderful is that we can change. I very much doubt Bowie would have become the person he became later in life - and very much doubt he would have married a black woman - if his fascist leanings were still a part of his social consciousness later in his career. Nor would he have gone into bat for Aboriginals, featured them in one of his most famous film clips etc.

If the date isn't changed by next year will CA not play any matches on the 26th or would that effect their bottom line a little too match?
It's classic corporate virtue signalling by CA. Of course if they were serious about making a stand, they would boycott Australia Day. Instead, they'll profit off of it by hosting 3 matches.

Well for one, what makes humanity wonderful is that we can change. I very much doubt Bowie would have become the person he became later in life - and very much doubt he would have married a black woman - if his fascist leanings were still a part of his social consciousness later in his career. Nor would he have gone into bat for Aboriginals, featured them in one of his most famous film clips etc.
I suppose my issue is far more with the lionization of Bowie especially as some kind of progressive messiah figure for what really amounts to paying lip service to good ideas and doing, quite literally, the least he could do in support of good movements. Like his interview where he said MTV should play more black videos. It's a great message, but did he do anything other than making a few comments and putting some black people in his own videos?

Praise is dumped on corporate lip service like what CA is doing which does precisely nothing to affect anybodies life and enacts no positive change whatsoever. It is simply obfsucates the issue and I would argue does more longterm harm than good, since I don't believe Bowie's "activism" ever inspired anyone to do anything, it simply makes one feel good about the fact that somebody famous acknowledged injustice exists from their ivory tower just as separated from practical reality as Bowie was when he endorsed Nazism on the reasoning he just didn't think about the racial aspect.

Actual activists like Phil Ochs on the other hand have had their careers destroyed for their ideals and are largely forgotten by history, in favor of those who take the path of least resistance maximizing lip service but minimizing real change.

I suppose my issue is far more with the lionization of Bowie especially as some kind of progressive messiah figure for what really amounts to paying lip service to good ideas and doing, quite literally, the least he could do in support of good movements. Like his interview where he said MTV should play more black videos. It's a great message, but did he do anything other than making a few comments and putting some black people in his own videos?

Praise is dumped on corporate lip service like what CA is doing which does precisely nothing to affect anybodies life and enacts no positive change whatsoever. It is simply obfsucates the issue and I would argue does more longterm harm than good, since I don't believe Bowie's "activism" ever inspired anyone to do anything, it simply makes one feel good about the fact that somebody famous acknowledged injustice exists from their ivory tower just as separated from practical reality as Bowie was when he endorsed Nazism on the reasoning he just didn't think about the racial aspect.

Actual activists like Phil Ochs on the other hand have had their careers destroyed for their ideals and are largely forgotten by history, in favor of those who take the path of least resistance maximizing lip service but minimizing real change.

I think it needs to be remembered that his legacy was just as much to do with his persona and his music that was tantamount to genius, as the bouncer in Extras put it, coupled with his intelligence (even if it wasn't manifested in that Playboy interview). He still DID involve himself with at least 10 charities and got behind a fair few causes.

This is in no way meant to paint me as some sort of humanitarian but one of my (very few) gifts is music. I sing and play to a competent level and it is a second income for me. Last year I played from my back shed, a charity concert for MND that raised $5000. (it wasn't my idea or organised by me, but by my bandmate, we are an acoustic duo). I love the idea of charity and helping people but in reality my gifts, my shortcomings etc don't really lend themselves to many aspects of a lot of charitable causes. So my means of trying to contribute was to do something I'm reasonable at and raise some cash that way.

I don't hold rock stars or actors etc up as beacons of giving and humanity if they play in charity concerts or appear in advertising campaigns or whatever, but I think we sometimes too quickly dismiss the contribution they make simply by giving their time to assist in some small way. Bowie did that a fair bit.

I'd love to know what the people who were offended by this think of the Stars promoting tomorrows game as "Aussie Broadband Day".

caught you in a lie.. or at least a total obfuscation of the truth.. carry on dude.. will come to some truth eventually.. :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

damn you're persistent.. ly wrong.. shoot from the hip because that is all you have got..
Is the mask of your fake internet persona as an unrepentant drug addled sociopath slipping? Or is it simply the 100 monkeys with a typewriter concept which is causing your gibbering halfwitted textual diarrheic vomiting of something vaguely resembling communication to vaguely resemble something coherent?

Is the mask of your fake internet persona as an unrepentant drug addled sociopath slipping? Or is it simply the 100 monkeys with a typewriter concept which is causing your gibbering halfwitted textual diarrheic vomiting of something vaguely resembling communication to vaguely resemble something coherent?
never thought you should expect so much from a person and yet you do... hats on and brain in tune.. you will not derail me and nor will you intimidate me either..

keep on punching dude.

never thought you should expect so much from a person and yet you do... hats on and brain in tune.. you will not derail me and nor will you intimidate me either..

keep on punching dude.
I don't think literacy is a very high expectation for someone on an internet forum. I can't derail you because you're off the reservation, and while I would never want to intimidate someone if I decided I did I wouldn't waste it on someone who I'm not convinced would be able to understand what I'm saying. I certainly haven't the foggiest notion of what you're trying to say with this Centrelink Socrates crap you keep pumping out.

Invest in a red nose and makeup buddy because you are a clown.

I don't think literacy is a very high expectation for someone on an internet forum. I can't derail you because you're off the reservation, and while I would never want to intimidate someone if I decided I did I wouldn't waste it on someone who I'm not convinced would be able to understand what I'm saying. I certainly haven't the foggiest notion of what you're trying to say with this Centrelink Socrates crap you keep pumping out.

Invest in a red nose and makeup buddy because you are a clown.
hmm the first coherent speech I have had from you in a wile.. welcome friend and lather up because you and I am going to be very frothy..

Culturally just don't like the game I think, sure cricket costs money to play properly but out my way you never ever see indigenous kids in the street or park playing the game which costs near nothing. None ever played at lunch at my school. Not having any hereos on TV to look up to like footy up to would be a big thing as well.

My nan that died before I was born was indigenous so I have fairly strong ancestry and love the game but I'm white (apart from tanning pretty quick haha), culturally I don't really have any link at all if that makes sense.

Cricket is religion in India where most people have very little. If you go to a remote community here with a single dirt oval there might be 50 kids playing footy. If that was India that would be 500 kids playing cricket. I don't think cricket being expensive keeps indigenous kids out of the sport. It's not polo or sailing or ice hockey or something. You can have a game of cricket with a plastic bat and a tennis ball with a wheelie bin for stumps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back