Cricket Australia - Wrong Priorities

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to know what the people who were offended by this think of the Stars promoting tomorrows game as "Aussie Broadband Day".

I wouldn't normally quote myself, but I have a point to make.

I made this post 24 hours ago cos I was genuinely curious on what people who think 26 January is sacrosanct thought.

Not a single reply. Which says it all.

Not one of you cares about the sanctity of Australia Day, cos the Stars completely bastardised it and sold it out, and none of you cared. Your issue is clearly the uncomfortable recognition and acknowledgement of our black history and genocide.

You've got the national broadcaster now referring to it exclusively as Invasion Day. If the feds had any balls they'd strip the ABC's funding and put it towards Aboriginal education.

(I note the useless campaigners didn't even put out a Cricket Book this summer.)
No, you don't.
In almost all facets the ABC referred to Australia Day. The all-purpose, default, use was and is Australia Day.
With specific reference to some activities it was, and is, Australia Day/Invasion Day or Invasion Day. A few politicians and The Australian massively, seemingly deliberately, misrepresented the ABC's position based on one online article where Australia Day/Invasion Day was used. Even in that instance, Invasion Day was not used "exclusively".

No, you don't.
In almost all facets the ABC referred to Australia Day. The all-purpose, default, use was and is Australia Day.
With specific reference to some activities it was, and is, Australia Day/Invasion Day or Invasion Day. A few politicians and The Australian massively, seemingly deliberately, misrepresented the ABC's position based on one online article where Australia Day/Invasion Day was used. Even in that instance, Invasion Day was not used "exclusively".

Yes, they recanted. Ita must've returned from holidays.
The ABC has removed references to Australia Day as “Invasion Day” from a story posted at the weekend after criticism from Communications Minister Paul Fletcher and others.

The ABC’s guide to Australia Day activities taking place around the country now only refers to “Invasion Day” in the fourth sentence – with changes to the headline and a number of paragraphs.

The ABC, in a statement, said its default terminology remained Australia Day but that it recognised and respected “that community members use other terms for the event, including ‘26 January’. ‘Invasion Day’ and ‘Survival Day’ … so our reporting and coverage reflect that”.
ABC buckles after ‘Invasion Day’ controversy (paywalled)

"from a story" that story was originally headlined with "Australia Day/Invasion Day", not exclusively Invasion Day

Prior to any complaints, the ABC's policy was to use Australia Day as the default. That story did not stick solely with the default.

Yeah that was taken up by another poster. A word out of place on my part. Sue me.

Nothing says patriotism like fleeing democracy in your own country. Farmers over there get killed because for the most part they are terrible people with a long history of violence against blacks, they're targeted for a reason and it's mostly their own fault, you don't hear about white South African accountants or bank tellers being targeted, do you? Think about it ffs.
That’s a horrible comment, especially from a moderator, no matter what your views may be.

That’s a horrible comment, especially from a moderator, no matter what your views may be.
Do you expect much else from him? He posted this earlier in the thread

Maybe we could stop jerking ourselves senseless about ANZAC Day too. My family were sixty years from setting foot on this rock when it happened why do we have to put up with all these idiots marching in memory of a great uncle who they never met and who was little more than a useful idiot to the powers that sent him there. At least Invasion Day represents some kind of military triumph, unlike Anzacs at least these guys weren't losers.

Basically, Gough is a s**t person.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cares so much about changing the date he spent all day posting on BF instead of protesting with his Greenie mates, a pissant party supported by ten % of the flog population of Australia.

He called South African women being raped 'karma' in another thread.
That's hilarious (if true) coming from such a self-righteous individual.

He's one of the "good" ones remember guys. :drunk:
It's true I assure you.

Protected species on here though from those up top.
Cares so much about changing the date he spent all day posting on BF instead of protesting with his Greenie mates, a pissant party supported by ten % of the flog population of Australia.
Disgraceful double standards :thumbsdown: Not a good look on the website having such a hateful person as moderator
It's good that people are realising what a slimy piece of human garbage you are, Gough

Wow, what a surprise. CA wanted Labor to win along with all their lefty mates.
Also so not a great surprise Barry Cassidy's son is Cricket Australia's diversity and inclusion manager :sick:

Interesting article. It mentions that "just" 69K of 1.7m cricketers are indigenous, or 4.0%. The 2016 census put the overall ratio at 3.3%.

Seems a strange push.

Schedule has been screwed for a number of decades now.
Enjoyed the cricket summer immensely when 1st Test started in early to mid November and final Test of summer was in February and the only two Tests of summer that were close to each other were the Boxing Day Test at MCG followed up by the New Year's Test at the SCG.
Six Tests for whole summer and first class games in between domestically for tourists and Shield sides is better for the standard of cricket you get to see.

The challenge has been the shorter formats of the game went from each international side playing 12 to 20 or more one day internationals a year to something way over 30. Once it got that many it no longer meant ODI's were the best side playing best from each nation and it became a rotation of 11 of your best 20 or so players playing each other and not the best of the best. I stopped going to ODI's once it got to this stage but I remember still going to ODI's at MCG well into 1990's. Once it became more than 30 ODI's a year it no longer was elite games of your best 11 playing so it has always been about the ODI's only really super interesting around the World Cup time every four years in last few decades.
It took until this last 12 months for less cricket matches to be played and surprise surprise as a result when there were some ODI's earlier this summer it was actually more interesting to me as it seemed like Australia v India ODI's actually had the best available 11 playing which made it actually interesting to me again. That happened not by design but due to circumstances of they had played less cricket you could pick your actual best 11 at those times.

I do not know what the answer is but the Big Bash is not interesting to me except to tune in for 5 to 10 minutes from time to time to watch someone like a Maxwell or Lynn in full smashing mode and beyond that the rest does not really grab my imagination to care. It pays the bills so it is not going away but it makes the schedule for everything else so much harder, I just sense if that was reduced to only 8 to 10 games each and purely around school holidays it would make more sense and get the Sheffield Shield still going run up until mid December and re-started up in last week of January.

I do not know when the best time for ODI's are anymore. Big Bash has replaced the niche of the old tri series so December and January is out and whenever they have them whether early November before first Test or in February after Test matches are over and Big Bash is over it is easier best of 3 or best of 5 series v another nation or if you still want a tri series, maybe it should always be a trans Tasman tri series with Australia and New Zealand always in it and a third nation invited. Play each other twice at first and top two sides of the three nations play a best of 3 series for series win and it be condensed to be completed within two weeks. As for T20's internationals I do not care if they even played.

The important priority is Test side needs Shield games sprinkled around them so you do not have the farce of this summer where you basically just stick to same Test side regardless of form as there is no other first class games going on between Tests to even have other genuine options.
Four Tests in a summer is not enough especially when it is rushed all close together.

Overall the calendar year should see 5 to 6 Tests each summer at minimum here and then another 6 overseas and only about 20 ODI's over 12 months.
Rather have less ODI's with more meaning than 30 to 40 ODI's each year where over 90% of them is resting 2 to 4 of your best players at once to get through the busy schedule. I have not seen any signs of less is more though from any cricketing body so not holding my breath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back