Rules Cricket Board Rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Respected Journo

Team Captain
Suspended
Jun 18, 2009
Alternate from Aus 2 SA
Just wondering if there is going to be an increased emphasis placed on those posters who drop "in and out" of the board to post when Australia doesn't win? Most of these posters don't support Australia, but that's not the problem, because they are in the minority of posters they compensate for this by goading and baiting the Australian posters. I don't need to name any specific users, but gee it's not a good look coming in when you have been absent from the entire match and sticking it up the Australian posters.

I dont mind a bit of banter, but you have to be there through thick and thin not just float in like Nathan Buckley picking up easy possessions out the back of a pack.

My 2 cents worth.

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Guys, we are pretty unhappy about the ‘quality’ of some of the posting since the beginning of this latest Ashes series.

We are going to stop running around deleting posts and are just going to start handing out cards.

Reasonable, thought out criticism is fine, worthless trash talk is not.

There is an Ashes thread over on Bay 13 where posters can talk as much trash as they want.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600430

Troll up all you want over there, this board is about cricket.

Spikey

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2007
SAPMA headquarters,Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man City, NSW
We better do what he says guys

51u0sj.jpg

bigburger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2008
Imagineland
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton, WDCC, Force
This board is wayyyyyyy to over-moderated. Threads are closed at the drop of a hat. IMO a thread should only be closed if it is derailed, goes way off topic or is posted by accident. The thread about the two wickets not being out was there for discussion. Isn't that the point of Big Footy? Who cares if its a whinge, if that train of thought was applied on the Main Board about 90% of the threads would be closed.

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This board is wayyyyyyy to over-moderated. Threads are closed at the drop of a hat. IMO a thread should only be closed if it is derailed, goes way off topic or is posted by accident. The thread about the two wickets not being out was there for discussion. Isn't that the point of Big Footy? Who cares if its a whinge, if that train of thought was applied on the Main Board about 90% of the threads would be closed.

Yeah the thread with the OP that included:

“Freddie you are a flog and i cant wait to see the back of you.You keep living off 1 series you fool.Done nothing since.”

Quality stuff.

That thread was never going to go off the rails. :rolleyes:

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Your modding powers gives you the ability to edit peoples posts right :rolleyes:

We are not going to piss fart about tidying up after people who can’t put a reasonable OP together.

It’s not too much to ask. All we want is for people to put a small amount of thought into their OP.

No problems with people talking about the issue, just do it in a grown up way.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
[ridingcoattails]There was some decent discussion but the odd troll was still thrown in, the thread was probably 24hrs from imploding and weevil made the correct decision[/ridingcoattails]

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blue Dimension

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
N Mystics & GC Lightning
Analysing Haddin's wicket keeping technique (correctly as well) is mindless or against the rules or both?

It depends in the way it is put across. I think you'll find that threads like you mentioned are usually constructed in a very negative and abusive manner, hence why they have been closed.

I do think this board is moderated at a high level, but can understand why. More quality, less crap thanks.

The only reason people are complaining is because it is only on this forum that a higher standard level of posting is tolerated. Imo, it should be like this right across BigFooty.

Btw, in response to another poster in this thread. It is not a mods job to clean up another persons uneducated or badly constructed ideas or beliefs in posts. It's their job to prevent that. 'Fixing' those posts is not going to aid in the quality of posting on this forum, merely create more work for the mods.

May 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
It depends in the way it is put across. I think you'll find that threads like you mentioned are usually constructed in a very negative and abusive manner, hence why they have been closed.

It only got negative and abusive (if at all) by the Haddin apologists who brought very little to the discussion of his technique. The best one could do was say something about "catching the last one".

bigburger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2008
Imagineland
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton, WDCC, Force

I do think this board is moderated at a high level, but can understand why. More quality, less crap thanks.

The only reason people are complaining is because it is only on this forum that a higher standard level of posting is tolerated. Imo, it should be like this right across BigFooty.

Btw, in response to another poster in this thread. It is not a mods job to clean up another persons uneducated or badly constructed ideas or beliefs in posts. It's their job to prevent that. 'Fixing' those posts is not going to aid in the quality of posting on this forum, merely create more work for the mods.

If it was like this across Big Footy some of the best threads of all time wouldn't exist. In my opinion one of two things needs to be done here. A Bay 13 type board sub-board needs to be brought in where issues that the current mods think aren't "proper discussion" can be moved to or these mods need to have a change of attitude to not being as cut throat or at worst step down. Obviously the latter won't happen and I am not calling for it because for the most part I find this board to be fine. Though if threads are closed because the mods can't be bothered editing out one sentence of an an otherwise fine OP, or deleting a generally good thread because of a couple of posters derailing it and they can't be bothered going back through it to delete the bad posts, then why are you moderating? Finally, there is a lot of comments from mods like "s**t OP". Sometimes you could write a whole article that a journo from The Australian would be happy with but realistically it could be summed up in about two sentences. As long as it gets the point across and invites healthy discussion then its done its job hasn't it? Like this for instance.

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It is not our job to change people’s nappies for them, all doing that does is tell people that they can take a dump wherever they want. Posters have to learn to take some responsibility for their own behaviour.

If people get their threads nuked every time they write BS in their opening posts then they will eventually figure out that doing that is not a smart idea.

Don’t really care what people want to argue about, all we want them to do is to put their argument in a mature and sensible way. Long experience has shown us that threads that start poorly end poorly and all that does is create more work for us.

This is the only general cricket board on BF, therefore it has to accommodate a wide range of posters.

Left to itself the immature flogs totally dominate the discussion with ridiculous OTT crap and people who want to have a reasonable talk about the game have nowhere to go.

It’s not like we smother every conversation, we let loads of stuff go. But we have to draw the line somewhere.

The link to the Bay 13 Ashes thread has been posted several times. Here it is again: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600430 We are considering a Bay 13 Cricket board. If the thread above proves popular we may do it.

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
...And I will add: BB your “What or who's to blame?” thread is an excellent example of how a good OP can really help set the tone of an entire thread.

Similarly, Elvis posted strong opinions in his “Where is Peter Roebuck now?” thread, but rather than just shoot his mouth of he took some time and put his ideas together in a really compelling way.

These are terrific OPs and they help lift the quality of the discussion on the board a great deal.

I’d recommend that everyone looks at these posts as illustrations of how it should be done.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606720

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606940

I would like to remind everyone to remember the article linking rules over the summer.

Please provide a link

Please only post a couple or relevant paragraphs.

I really don't want to infract people for this - but if I remember you as a repeat offender I will have to.

Some of you may want to remember what you got carded for in the Ashes gamethreads - blatant racism, calls of cheating etc will likely earn you a 24hr holiday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back