Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
The poms might have found a cricketer for their national team in a couple of years time after he qualifies. Jofra Archer from Barbados has moved to England and is playing for Surrey. He bowls bloody quickly and gets good boune. He looks about 195-200cm. He took a great catch on the boundary moving quickly to catch a big hit going for 6 and knowing he was going to step over the rope he nicely throws it up for his team mate to catch.

Profile from cricinfo.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/669855.html

Jofra Archer has rapidly become one of the most exciting young allrounders in English county cricket. Born in Barbados to an English father and Bajan mother, he is ambitious to follow his Sussex teammate Chris Jordan into the England side. It was Jordan who first alerted Sussex to Archer's talents after facing him in a net session in Barbados and his assessment that "the sky is the limit" has been borne out by batting and bowling spells of great promise.

It would be a seven-year qualification to play for England, not complete until 2022-23 which at the speed he is developing would deny international cricket of a gifted cricketer for around four years, frustration no doubt for West Indies cricket.

Archer, a silky fast bowler with a high action capable of speeds in the mid-80s and dangerous lower-middle order batsman, played for West Indies under 19s in 2013 but after suffering a serious back injury he slipped out of the Barbados system. Instead, he rallied while playing for Sussex's second XI and for Horsham in the Sussex Premier League.

Well he's got to bowl the last over with 13 required - let's see what he's made of.

Lehmann out off ball one - good start!

Great last over by Archer only gave up 5 runs putting the ball in the right slot - man of the match stuff took 3 for 15 with 13 dot balls out of 24 and set up that catch on the boundary. Although Short with 96 should win the award.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
didn't deserve that after giving up 180+ in the field when the bowling is our strength.

hobart's 2 man show continues. Archer and Short.

Archer is 22.5 years old so he will be around 26 when he qualifies for England. In post game interview said the fastest he has been clocked at is 153 kms/hr. The catch on the boundary.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looks like the best West Indian quick for quite awhile pity he'll play for the pomes

Looks like the best West Indian quick for quite awhile pity he'll play for the pomes
Pity we wont see him play test cricket for 4 years.

He will get plenty of T20 contracts around the world. hopefully that doesn't impact on his ability in red ball cricket to bowl long spells for Surrey and then eventually England..

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pity we wont see him play test cricket for 4 years.

He will get plenty of T20 contracts around the world. hopefully that doesn't impact on his ability in red ball cricket to bowl long spells for Surrey and then eventually England..
Yea that's a long time for a fast bowler anything from long term injuries and form droughts in first class cricket to becoming a T20 mercenary can happen.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Sorry to bring it up, but the final margin in NZ was 119.....

The problem for the Windies is that they cannot pay enough. Several of their better T20 players have 'retired' to the Big Bash and IPL rather than front up in NZ. You would think Gayle and Bravo would still walk into the Windies T20 side. Another problem for the Windies is the team comes from a loose configuration of Caribbean states rather than a single nation and that must make it hard for cricket administrators.

Rather than take issue with Australian pitches the ICC should be doing something to support West Indies cricket lest it becomes another chopping block. A strong West Indies has to be good for Test Cricket.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The problem for the Windies is that they cannot pay enough. Several of their better T20 players have 'retired' to the Big Bash and IPL rather than front up in NZ. You would think Gayle and Bravo would still walk into the Windies T20 side. Another problem for the Windies is the team comes from a loose configuration of Caribbean states rather than a single nation and that must make it hard for cricket administrators.

Rather than take issue with Australian pitches the ICC should be doing something to support West Indies cricket lest it becomes another chopping block. A strong West Indies has to be good for Test Cricket.

Uh I don't know what you've been watching but Gayle is playing for the West Indies as a participant in all these recent beltings over the ditch. And the Bravo comment might have been applicable three or four years ago, medium pace all rounders has been a position of great strength for them over the past half decade with Sammy, Brathwaite, Russell and Pollard other options that for the most part have been superior options.

The worsening nature of Australian pitches countrywide should be of great concern to all fans and administrators alike who enjoy test cricket. Has the potential for very damaging ramifications to the game in this country and you should be glad a flashpoint has finally been reached.

This bloody Ingram bloke from South Africa is useless T20 batter to bat at #4. They call him the bulldozer but he is more like a hand shovel.

15 (off 15 balls) 15 (15) and 23 (22) only 3 x 4's and 1 x 6 in those 3 innings.He hits the ball hard straight to the fielders too often. Tonight as I type he 20 off 18 but was 15 off 16 at the start of the over when we need more than 11 an over. If you are the international batting player you have to make an impact. 19 year old Rashid Khan is the bowling import player and he has done his job. He has bowled 4 overs every game and has taken 2/22, 2/22, 2/19 and tonight when Hobart made 183 he tool 2/18. So he has impacted by taking important wickets and bloody miserly economy bowling rate.

Ingram is a beast in T20, frankly it is quite ridiculous to call him useless based on a few games when he hasn't been in form.

Uh I don't know what you've been watching but Gayle is playing for the West Indies as a participant in all these recent beltings over the ditch. And the Bravo comment might have been applicable three or four years ago, medium pace all rounders has been a position of great strength for them over the past half decade with Sammy, Brathwaite, Russell and Pollard other options that for the most part have been superior options.

The worsening nature of Australian pitches countrywide should be of great concern to all fans and administrators alike who enjoy test cricket. Has the potential for very damaging ramifications to the game in this country and you should be glad a flashpoint has finally been reached.

Ingram is a beast in T20, frankly it is quite ridiculous to call him useless based on a few games when he hasn't been in form.
He might be a beast but it's useless being a beast who doesn't perform. He has batted uselessly in the first 3 games and the first 15 balls of his innings last night before he exploded. He has been slowing down the run rate and putting pressure on others to make up for his poor play. He thought he was playing so poorly, dare I say uselessly, that he brought out a bat that is an old favourite and over 10 years old and a lightweight compared to what is normal today.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"Useless" implies that someone is never any good. He certainly did not have a great impact in the first three games, but on song he is one of the most bankable T20 batsmen going. You are right in that he would be much better off opening or at three where he normally bats rather than down the order at four, Head is pretty established for the Strikers at 3 but Weatherald isn't much chop at the moment so a direct swap might be the way to go to free both players minds up.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
[

Thus far we have had four tests with three results and not one result was down to the pitch breaking up. Steve Smith has over 600 runs at 150 per innings and Alistair Cook carried his bat for 244 in a world record performance. Mitchell Starc has 21 wickets at 22.85, Josh Hazelwood 20 at 25.40 and Jimmy Anderson 16 at 25.40. Players can make runs and take wickets on these pitches and there are results.

I cannot recall the last time a Test in Australia went less than four days due to a sub standard wicket. I might have to go back to the Sydney Cricket Ground in the 1970s or the MCG around the same time to find a truly dicey wicket. In the 1970s the Gabba wicket was prepared by Clem Jones, the Lord Mayor of Brisbane and sometimes Clem did not get it right. Australian wickets are not getting worse they are better than forty years ago and they are probably better than any where else in the world.

If you think Australian pitches are bad you should take a look at some of those on the sub continent. I take REH's point as I think the ICC are arse covering as they are going to have a dead set crack at some of the wickets in the sub continent and even a couple in England. There is a wicket in England in which the side batting second has not win a Test in 80 years. Ricky Ponting won the toss at this ground, put England in and Australia lost the Ashes. Is that statistic down to coincidence or a wicket that cannot last five days? Cannot think of the ground off hand but it is there in the archives.

Last edited:
one for REH, how many 180+ scores have been chased down in the 7 season of BBL?
Sorry I missed your post last night. Its bloody hard to find historical stats for both BBL and Shield on Cricinfo, you can find season by season but this wiki page is the best I can do. It shows the top 6 successful run chases and number 6 is 186. [I note there is no link to a Cricinfo page under this table like most of the rest in this wiki page]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._and_statistics#Highest_successful_run_chases

Edit this is the home page for all BBL records/info on ESPNCricinfo but might not have everything you are looking for

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/big-bash-league-2015-16/engine/records/index.html?id=158;type=trophy

Last edited:

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
Sorry I missed your post last night. Its bloody hard to find historical stats for both BBL and Shield on Cricinfo, you can find season by season but this wiki page is the best I can do. It shows the top 6 successful run chases and number 6 is 186. [I note there is no link to a Cricinfo page under this table like most of the rest in this wiki page]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._and_statistics#Highest_successful_run_chases

Edit this is the home page for all BBL records/info on ESPNCricinfo but might not have everything you are looking for

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/big-bash-league-2015-16/engine/records/index.html?id=158;type=trophy

yeah, was trying to find them last night myself on cricinfo (what a nightmare) lol. Normally okay with it for finding stuff after a while

didn't think there would be that many so us getting as close as we did last night was a superb effort in the end, only if Head didn't lose is head when he did we might've got them.

It amazes me in this day and age we can't have a local page with historical stats on it even if it was for Aussie cricket only.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
For reference purposes all Cricinfo Sheffield Shield Records at link below. Their search function to find this page is hopeless, had to find it via google.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/australia/engine/records/index.html?id=114;type=trophy

There is an old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. The supposed Cricinfo update is diabolical and these days searching their archives for anything is an exercise in 'where the * is it' ? Occam's Razor is an ancient but worthwhile principle that website engineers often ignore. Apologies for the use of hyperbole.

There is an old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. The supposed Cricinfo update is diabolical and these days searching their archives for anything is an exercise in 'where the **** is it' ? Occam's Razor is an ancient but worthwhile principle that website engineers often ignore. Apologies for the use of hyperbole.
No apologies needed. That wasnt hyperbole just the bloody truth.

So many websites get updated and it's bloody hard to find archived stuff. I reckon it's deliberate as the archived stuff takes up storage space and therefore costs money. I reckon website designers/owners want to piss us off so we cant find stuff and then they can justify getting rid of it to their superiors because very few people visit those pages and they have low stats to justify it.

I find myself using www.howstat.com a lot more these days. Unfortunately cricketarchive.com has become a subscription site so that alternative is gone.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah cricketarchive was the best to go for Shield statistics can't justify the subscription though as hardly use it - cricinfo is an awesome site for international stats, but I struggle to understand why the historical statistics for each player in first class cricket cannot be broken down. Just as disappointing is the CA site.

The_Reaper does some really good work to try cover the lack of available analysis on the cricket board as per below from a year or so ago, not sure if he's still keeping his database up to date or not:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...owling-stats-over-last-three-seasons.1130088/

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...atting-stats-over-last-three-seasons.1129734/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back