Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta admit that, if one of our quicks cops an injury, Chadd Sayers will have massive shoes to fill. This quartet of bowlers is rapidly becoming one of our best bowling attacks for a helluva long time, and it's great to see.

He'll have the big shoes to fill of Jihye Richardson as the first reserve bowler in the squad at the moment should there be an injury as Richardson should get first crack at it.

He'll have the big shoes to fill of Jihye Richardson as the first reserve bowler in the squad at the moment should there be an injury as Richardson should get first crack at it.
Well hopefully it's a moot point, and the big 4 continue to sweep all before them.

Just out of interest, can a stats guru tell me - who was the last Australian bowler other than Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon, to take a wicket? They took all 90 against England, and all 10 in this game.

No doubt there will be a few people having a go at Sean Abbott. The bloke must be very shaken by this.

Well hopefully it's a moot point, and the big 4 continue to sweep all before them.

Just out of interest, can a stats guru tell me - who was the last Australian bowler other than Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon, to take a wicket? They took all 90 against England, and all 10 in this game.

Don Bradman took a wicket in a game... maybe back then?

No doubt there will be a few people having a go at Sean Abbott. The bloke must be very shaken by this.

I am a little critical of Abbott... I know he does not mean to knock people unconscious, however, bowling like that has caused him to kill one of mates and peers, yet he continues to bowl like that to 'intimidate' the opposition.
I know what happened to Hughes was a complete freak of an accident, but how often do you need to bounce people before you realise what damage your bowling can do?

I don't want Abbott to change the way he bowls, but maybe he needs to smarten up a little as a cricketer and realise the effect his bouncers can have on people.

I am a little critical of Abbott... I know he does not mean to knock people unconscious, however, bowling like that has caused him to kill one of mates and peers, yet he continues to bowl like that to 'intimidate' the opposition.
I know what happened to Hughes was a complete freak of an accident, but how often do you need to bounce people before you realise what damage your bowling can do?

I don't want Abbott to change the way he bowls, but maybe he needs to smarten up a little as a cricketer and realise the effect his bouncers can have on people.

Sorry but haven't heard something more utterly ridiculous.

You cannot take the bouncer out of a bowlers armoury (but even more ridiculous is expecting one bowler and one bowler only to stop doing so). I bet you were cheering like a fanboy like the whole cricketing world (bar the batsmen) when Mitch Johnson or Dale Steyn are at their fearsome best. It's part of the game.

Sorry but haven't heard something more utterly ridiculous.

You cannot take the bouncer out of a bowlers armoury (but even more ridiculous is expecting one bowler and one bowler only to stop doing so). I bet you were cheering like a fanboy like the whole cricketing world (bar the batsmen) when Mitch Johnson or Dale Steyn are at their fearsome best. It's part of the game.

Fair enough, but how many times has Johnson or Steyn killed a bloke then knocked another guy out with the same delivery?

All Im saying is Abbott needs to be careful with the obvious power to the bouncer he has (if you were a fighter, and a punch you developed killed a bloke, and knocked another out... you would look at that punch to not kill another person)

Mitchell Marsh heard you and stepped up last night:

Markram A. c Paine T. b Marsh M. 143

Mitchell Marsh heard you and stepped up last night:

Markram A. c Paine T. b Marsh M. 143
Which for mine gets him over the line for man of the match honours. He made a crucial 96 in the first innings, and then that vital wicket last night. Mind you, Starc is on a hat trick tonight: if he can pull it off, it'll be hard to deny him the award.

Fair enough, but how many times has Johnson or Steyn killed a bloke then knocked another guy out with the same delivery?

All Im saying is Abbott needs to be careful with the obvious power to the bouncer he has (if you were a fighter, and a punch you developed killed a bloke, and knocked another out... you would look at that punch to not kill another person)

If Abbott has to give up bowling bouncers then frankly I don't think there's much point him continuing to play cricket. For a fast-medium bowler it's basically an indispensable weapon in your armoury without at least the threat of it. The devastating loss of Phil Hughes was a tragic incident brought about by a lot more factors than within the control of the bowler and Pucovski's main concerns have come from a prior concussion brought about by a fielding mishap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Winter... is he brilliant, or is Australia's pool of bowlers average, or SA's even worse?
So far, (thanks to the BBL and international T20) Winter has 3.5 games of cricket after getting a chance with the ball as players had national duties to attend. In those 3.5 games of cricket he has amassed 26wickets with four 5 wicket hauls. He currently sits 7th on the wickets taken for the season, having only played half the games of those players above him*.

So the question remains, is Winter a great cricketer, does SA have no talent so they are relying on this new coming to get our wickets, or after 4 games and being in the top 10 of bowlers for the season, are the rest of shield bowlers no good?

CA took Jhye Richardson to South Africa as a best young bowler in the country, but now at 24, with 8 more wickets in 1.5games less, Winter may have taken that mantle (if you consider 24 young) and we could see him rushed into the Australian team at some stage this year?

*Jackson Bird has only played 2 more games than Winter, and has taken 1 more wicket than him. Fawad Ahmed has taken the same amount of wickets as Winter in 2 extra games.

Daniel Worrall 4/17 in the second innings to give us some kind of chance but then we go from 1/49 at stumps on day 3 to 4/69. There was only a very slight chance to get into the shield final after those losses at AO but there will be none at all after this match.

EDIT : Made it to lunch with no further loss and 166 behind with Head and Cooper batting. Carey still to come but Tasmania are still firmly in the box seat.
We will get 1.77 bonus points. We get 0.1 for every run above 100 in the first 100 overs and .5 for the 5th ,7th and 9th wicket in 100 overs. The 7th wicket fell at 113.5 overs so .5 bowling, 127 runs scored above 100 so 1.27 batting. The chance of rain in Tasmania is nearly nil so it's win or lose. If by some miracle we win this we will have 34.93 points and be 3rd with the WA v QLD match in its' second day. WA would jump us if they won as they already have 28.93 points, having taken the maximum 1.5 bowling points and not having batted yet.
However the first day of that match was rained off so a draw looks likely there.

Last edited:
England (in just about any sport really, but particularly cricket): Ooh, we've got our boot on their windpipe - that could hurt
were 1/267 vs NZ, now 7/288

Took one from the ages by Ross Taylor to win it but with their start England should have scored at least 370, maybe more. From 1/267 with 74 balls to go you would expect 100 more.

Daniel Worrall 4/17 in the second innings to give us some kind of chance but then we go from 1/49 at stumps on day 3 to 4/69. There was only a very slight chance to get into the shield final after those losses at AO but there will be none at all after this match.

EDIT : Made it to lunch with no further loss and 166 behind with Head and Cooper batting. Carey still to come but Tasmania are still firmly in the box seat.
We will get 1.77 bonus points. We get 0.1 for every run above 100 in the first 100 overs and .5 for the 5th ,7th and 9th wicket in 100 overs. The 7th wicket fell at 113.5 overs so .5 bowling, 127 runs scored above 100 so 1.27 batting. The chance of rain in Tasmania is nearly nil so it's win or lose. If by some miracle we win this we will have 34.93 points and be 3rd with the WA v QLD match in its' second day. WA would jump us if they won as they already have 28.93 points, having taken the maximum 1.5 bowling points and not having batted yet.
However the first day of that match was rained off so a draw looks likely there.

SA would have to choke big time not to win it from here - 4/180, 151 to win with about 63 overs remaining, Head and Cooper untroubled, Carey still to come...

EDIT: Ha ha - works every ******* time!!

SA would have to choke big time not to win it from here - 4/180, 151 to win with about 63 overs remaining, Head and Cooper untroubled, Carey still to come...
Oops, Cooper gone and we're still 138 behind. The last 5 wickets added 76 in the first innings although Head had been dismissed st the time and Carey barely scored anything. We're really on a tightrope now.

Shaping up for a tight finish at 6/255 with Mennie and Head in then Mennie(29) and Richardson(0) go and we're still 75 behind with only Winter and Worrall left. This probably means a huge win next game when we've got no chance of making the final.

An unbroken 9th-wicket stand of 57 between Nick Winter on 23 and Travis Head 145 has us 8-312 and 19 short of victory.

EDIT : I shouldn't have posted that, as soon as I completed it, Travis Head got out and we need 19 from Winter and Worrall.

A better showing by South Australia in the second innings but wickets falling in packets cost them. 3/19 early today, 2/16 after we were 4 down, 2/0 after the 55 stand between Head and Mennie, the consistent loss in the first innings. Unlike Tasmania in the first innings SA were not able to back up one good partnership with another good partnership to put pressure on the other team.
At least this means pressure is off for the last match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back