Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

jonty rhodes, now there was a good fielder that fella

So good he inspired 2 songs - both called Take Me Home Jonty Rhodes using John Denver's Take Me Home Country Road.

Greg Champion and the Coodabeens had one but can't find any audio or video, but the chorus went
Take me home Jonty Rhodes
To the veldt of Transvaal
Orange Free State
Good ole Jo'Burg
Take me home Jonty Rhodes

And this version by a South African cricket fan in both Afrikaner and English

This is a second string Indian attack so Australia should profit from that. Given their inexperience the Indians have done extraordinarily well so far. Indian cricket appears to have great depth atm and I can see them dominating over the next few years.

This is a second string Indian attack so Australia should profit from that. Given their inexperience the Indians have done extraordinarily well so far. Indian cricket appears to have great depth atm and I can see them dominating over the next few years.
I think they've got 9 Tests against England this year (4 at home, 5 away), which should be good to watch.

I think they've got 9 Tests against England this year (4 at home, 5 away), which should be good to watch.
Will the Indians let the poms into the country given the new covid variant?? Reckon quarantine conditions might be tough.

With no Shield cricket in BBL-athon who the fck would know.
Exactly right. I know the BBL is incredibly popular, but it plays havoc with the rest of the season.

Looks like Ben McDermott has gone ahead of Travis Head in Shane Warne's view. Warnie writes, 'I know I have only got the Big Bash by which to judge but I think Mcdermott is next cab off the rank'. That is the problem Shane, we only have T20 to go by and as players like Glen Maxwell have shown T20 and Test cricket are two entirely different propositions.

In the longer form of the game McDermott has made just two first class centuries and has a batting average of 34.00 in 67 innings so how does that put him ahead of a player who has 14 first class centuries and an average nearing 40.00 ? It is not as if age is any factor as Mc Dermott is less than twelve months younger than Head. Travis Head still has a Test batting average of 39.75 yet he is washed up. On the other hand Matthew Wade who has a Test batting average of just 30.15 and Marcus Harris who has a batting average of 24.6 are both still in the team while Head, who is better performed than both is now on Warnie's scrapheap.

Of course the other thing friend Warne has overlooked is if Ben McDermott were to replace Matthew Wade we would have Pucovski (1 Test), McDermott (0 Tests) and Green (4 Tests) in the top 6. The puts a lot of the load on Smith, an out of form Warner and Lauschagne. If the 36 year old Tim Paine keeps turfing chances he might also get the chop which would mean more in experience.

Granted, Travis Head has had a run of outs lately but writing him off as Shane Warne appears to have done is premature.
Head isn't washed up, but he's just been dropped. He continues to get out in the same manner. He doesn't deserve another opportunity at the moment and needs to earn his stripes again.

Australia's problem is their batting. Head gets dropped, deservedly so. Matthew Wade has been average, and your solution is to replace him with someone who has been a part of the problem.

Did Shane Warne actually say he's washed up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly right. I know the BBL is incredibly popular, but it plays havoc with the rest of the season.

Unfortunately the great unwashed don’t pay to go to shield cricket.

The campaigners.

Head isn't washed up, but he's just been dropped. He continues to get out in the same manner. He doesn't deserve another opportunity at the moment and needs to earn his stripes again.

Australia's problem is their batting. Head gets dropped, deservedly so. Matthew Wade has been average, and your solution is to replace him with someone who has been a part of the problem.

Did Shane Warne actually say he's washed up?

Shane Warne is entitled to his opinion, it is just that his solution has plenty of holes in it. I didn't post that Head should replace Wade I simply put a case that Ben Mc Dermott is not 'the next cab off the rank' as Warnie puts it. But as many of us have posted how would anyone know when there is no Shield form to go by? It is a bit hard to 'earn your stripes again' when there is no competition to do it in.

Back to the Test match and Australia now 5/218 with only one batsman really taking advantage of a second string Indian attack which is already a bowler down after Navdeep Sainin appeared to injure his groin just before lunch.

Last edited:
When will Head be released by CA to head back the Strikers? He should be playing tonight, but I don't think he is named.

Australia need around 120 to get on top. A score of 400 will mean India will probably need 500 to offset batting last. A lot will depend on the pair at the wicket. Both are looking good but we have seen a couple of the Aussies throw their wickets away after looking good.

Cameron Green is impressive and if he could get a few wickets it would be a real bonus.

Shane Warne is entitled to his opinion, it is just that his solution has plenty of holes in it. I didn't post that Head should replace Wade I simply put a case that Ben Mc Dermott is not 'the next cab off the rank' as Warnie puts it. But as many of us have posted how would anyone know when there is no Shield form to go by? It is a bit hard to 'earn your stripes again' when there is no competition to do it in.

Back to the Test match and Australia now 5/218 with only one batsman really taking advantage of a second string Indian attack which is already a bowler down after Navdeep Sainin appeared to injure his groin just before lunch.
Did Shane Warne say Head is washed up?

Your opinion has plenty of holes in it if it involves selecting Head back in the team.

When will Head be released by CA to head back the Strikers? He should be playing tonight, but I don't think he is named.
Covid bubble so when the test finishes.

Head made his bed

I get that Head has his flaws, but it’s not as if there is a ready made replacement for him.

The inconsistency in selection for the national team is terrible. Wade over Head is as bad as the continual picking of Sutcliffe by Hinkley.

Head was the top run scorer for the team in the period where Smith and Warner were out.

His average so far of 39.75 is comparable or ahead of plenty of great Australian batsmen at the same stages of their careers. Yet he was dropped after 3 innings this series, one of which, although only getting 38, he was still the second highest scorer for Australia and part of the biggest partnership. His shield form prior to this series was also excellent and importantly had shown he had worked on his weaknesses (he scored big back to back hundreds which were both his longest stints at the crease in first class cricket).

If you look at all games with both Head and Wade since Wade’s inclusion then Head has the slightly higher average at 30 (compared to 29), but has been dropped twice in this time. Wade also has not had a 50 for the past 13 innings, is nearing retirement, and his career has shown he is unlikely to improve from his current output.

Given Head is seemingly dropped for his tendency to throw away his wicket, how can Wade be kept in the team when he does the same thing, and has done so for over a longer time, for a lesser return?

Yes Head has flaws but there isn’t a Hussey, Voges, Laws, Lehmann or Hodge waiting in the wings to slot seamlessly in. Why is he the first to go in a team where the vast majority of batsmen has underperformed, yet is the vice captain when picked? Makes no sense at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back