Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Lara is the best Test batsman I have seen. He was more likely to win a test off his own bat than anyone else I have watched over the years.

Oh dear - the IPL has been rocked by the news that 2 players from the same team have tested positive to COVID-19. It's the same team as Pat Cummins and Ben Cutting: surely the tournament has to be knocked on the head, to hopefully prevent further outbreaks!!!

The IPL has been postponed. The BBC are reporting that the IPL Board voted to play the tournament in the UAE but the decision was vetoed by the Chairman of the Indian Cricket Board who just happens to be the son of the Indian Home affairs Minister. Ahh, the intrigue that is Indian cricket where Cricket and politics live in same stable.

Thus far this story has not been carried by the Indian press.

Michael "Blood on their Hands' Slater is now in the Maldives. All Michael Slater has to do is stop whinging, sit tight for 15 days and he can return to Australia without fear of a fine or imprisonment. By that time the May 15th deadline will also have passed and unless it is extended he will be able to return to Australia anyway. There are 39 IPL cricketers and cricket officials stranded in India and the solution to their dilemma is to fly to an intermediate destination spend 14 days in that destination then attempt fly home. Of course once in Australia they will have to quarantine so the chances of Smith, Warner, Cummins, Stoinis being available for the ODI/ T20 tour of the West Indies seem pretty low.

Last edited:

The IPL has been postponed. The BBC are reporting that the IPL Board voted to play the tournament in the UAE but the decision was vetoed by the Chairman of the Indian Cricket Board who just happens to be the son of the Indian Home affairs Minister. Ahh, the intrigue that is Indian cricket where Cricket and politics live in same stable.

Thus far this story has not been carried by the Indian press.

Michael "Blood on their Hands' Slater is now in the Maldives. All Michael Slater has to do is stop whinging, sit tight for 15 days and he can return to Australia without fear of a fine or imprisonment. By that time the May 15th deadline will also have passed and unless it is extended he will be able to return to Australia anyway. There are 39 IPL cricketers and cricket officials stranded in India and the solution to their dilemma is to fly to an intermediate destination spend 14 days in that destination then attempt fly home. Of course once in Australia they will have to quarantine so the chances of Smith, Warner, Cummins, Stoinis being available for the ODI/ T20 tour of the West Indies seem pretty low.

Agreed Pieman, Slater's reaction was way over the top.

Agreed Pieman, Slater's reaction was way over the top.
Yeah ridiculous. The PM is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't in this situation. All that matters here is that everyone is OK.

The ABC are reporting that Mike Hussey has tested positive for COVID-19.

The ABC are also championing the cause of the 9,000 people in India who want to come back to Australia. This morning I heard and ABC reporter ask a Government Minister, 'who's hands will the blood be on if an Australian dies of COVID in India?'. How about the blood being on the hands of the person who made the decision to fly to India in the first place and the Indian Government who failed to learn the lessons from the first wave?

The Australian Government has taken action for a reason, namely that our quarantine capacity was being tested. Last week I heard Nicola Spurrier say that in Adelaide the Tom's Court COVID facility was 75% full with more flights from India expected later in the week. She had recommended that flights from India be scaled back. The Federal Government subsequently intervened and cancelled all flights from India. The Government shut the front door and had to do something about the back door which they did by imposing a punitive deterrent.

The bleeding hearts such a Michael Slater, and that champion of the lost cause Geoffrey Robertson need to appreciate that it is still possible to return to Australia from India but the traveler must travel to a stop over destination first, stay in that destination for 14 days, return a negative a PCR test within 72 hours of departure then fly. That is exactly what Michael Slater has decided to do.

For once I am on Morrison's side as people who make the decision to fly to a pox ridden country need to take some responsibility. It would be interesting to know how many of the 9,000 Australians decided to fly to India after the situation began to deteriorate . From a cricketing perspective the Australian players left Australia for the IPL on or about April 1st when India recorded 81,441 cases up from 15,704 just four weeks earlier. It was clearly evident in early April that the infection rate in India was rapidly escalating yet some Australians, Michael Slater included, still decided to leave.

lol - our own state borders get slammed shut the minute there's one or two cases in another state. People have gone to jail for breaking the rules. This hoo-hah with India might be less controversial if the same measures were applied to people returning from any country where Covid-19 is hopelessly out of control, eg USA, Mexico, Brazil, etc, instead of making it look like it only applies to India.

Mike Hussey has tested positive for COVID and will isolate for 10 days in India prior to flying to the Maldives.

The rest is no surprise. The players in India are flying to the Maldives waiting 14 days then flying to Australia. All organised by Cricket Australia. Not sure if they will be getting paid by their IPL teams.

Shock horror on Channel NINE this morning as they reported that Australian cricketers are being given preferential treatment over those waiting in India to fly home. A few points that NINE and some of the media are not mentioning-

• The Australian cricketers are flying to Australia from the Maldives not from India. The Maldives is an independent nation and as such is not part of the Indian sub continent from which flights had been suspended.
  • The Australian cricketers flew to the Maldives shortly after the IPL was cancelled on May 6th. The players were in a COVID bubble in the Maldives from May 6th to 16th.
  • The flight to Australia is being funded by the BCCI as was arranged before the IPL started. The BCCI gave a contractual undertaking that in the event of a COVID outbreak among the players they would ensure that all international players got home safely.
  • Both CA and the players association have stated that they are not looking for preferential treatment or to jump the queue.
  • The fully funded BCCI flight will arrive in Sydney not Howard Springs where the majority of people arriving from India are being quarantined. As flights from India were suspended for two weeks there is ample room to accommodate the players in the Sydney quarantine system. In the press this morning the Prime Minister suggested that additional space had been negotiated for the players with the NSW Government.
  • True the players did not represent Australia and as such were not an official Australian team and do not deserve preferential treatrment on that basis. However many of them are scheduled to play the West Indies early in July so to serve quarantine, prepare and make the tour they have to be back in Australia ASAP.

All the above information was freely available on line yet NINE and other sections of the media chose to sensationalise the issue by spreading fake news about the cricketers jumping the Indian queue and forcing some more worthy cases to wait in India. NINE chose to feed the hysteria rampant among section of Australia's Indian community who are upset that their relatives cannot get back to Australia. The segment was totally unprofessional as it was poorly researched. I actually felt sorry for the Today host Ally Langdon who was obviously fed a bullshit line by the show's producers.

It is my view that the Australian cricketers should not have gone to India in the first place but that is beside the point. They did go and the point is they have not taken anyone's place on a scheduled flight out of India nor has the Australian Government instigated or paid for their flight home. Their place in quarantine has been negotiated with the NSW Government and not at the expense of returnees.

Any Australian stuck in India could have arranged a flight to the Maldives, spent 10 days in isolation then flown home. That would of course be expensive, difficult to organise and beyond many but that is not the fault of the Australian cricketers or the Australian Government it is the way life is. I am pretty sure if a NINE camera crew were in India filming the plight of Australians they would have found a way home pretty quickly.

I put the above post in the COVID thread but it is also relevant in this thread. I am pissed off at what is a beat up the returning cricketers have not cost anyone a seat on a scheduled flight out of India. Their flight was chartered by the BCCI and departed from the Maldives not India.

led to..

led to..

He finally confirm what everyone knew - the others were in it, but Cricket Oz couldn't ban 11 players. It was a pre-ordained slap dassh dash invesigation.

There is a long pause before Bancroft answers: “Yeah, look, all I wanted to do was to be responsible and accountable for my own actions and part. Yeah, obviously what I did benefits bowlers and the awareness around that, probably, is self-explanatory. I guess one thing I learnt through the journey and being responsible is that’s where the buck stops [with Bancroft himself]. Had I had better awareness I would have made a much better decision.”

I ask the question again. So some of the bowlers did know?

Bancroft’s hesitation is even longer. “Uh … yeah, look, I think, yeah, I think it’s pretty probably self-explanatory.”

His answer shows his acute discomfort in implicating any of his teammates. It has been confirmed in public investigations that Warner asked Bancroft to rough up the ball by using sandpaper. Smith, as their captain, knew what they were planning and he did nothing to stop them. Each of the three men have suffered but the rest of the team have not admitted any prior knowledge of cheating.

Bancroft does not name anyone and he is happier when explaining how he turned misery into a positive experience....................

Crash Craddock and Whateley discussed the implications of his answer to other team members, the Cricketers Association and Cricket Oz who still only have an interim CEO - Nick Hockley after 11 months.

He finally confirm what everyone knew - the others were in it, but Cricket Oz couldn't ban 11 players. It was a pre-ordained slap dassh dash invesigation.

There is a long pause before Bancroft answers: “Yeah, look, all I wanted to do was to be responsible and accountable for my own actions and part. Yeah, obviously what I did benefits bowlers and the awareness around that, probably, is self-explanatory. I guess one thing I learnt through the journey and being responsible is that’s where the buck stops [with Bancroft himself]. Had I had better awareness I would have made a much better decision.”

I ask the question again. So some of the bowlers did know?

Bancroft’s hesitation is even longer. “Uh … yeah, look, I think, yeah, I think it’s pretty probably self-explanatory.”

His answer shows his acute discomfort in implicating any of his teammates. It has been confirmed in public investigations that Warner asked Bancroft to rough up the ball by using sandpaper. Smith, as their captain, knew what they were planning and he did nothing to stop them. Each of the three men have suffered but the rest of the team have not admitted any prior knowledge of cheating.

Bancroft does not name anyone and he is happier when explaining how he turned misery into a positive experience....................

Crash Craddock and Whateley discussed the implications of his answer to other team members, the Cricketers Association and Cricket Oz who still only have an interim CEO - Nick Hockley after 11 months.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I thought the sandpaper plan was poorly planned and appeared rushed. I wouldn't be surprised if the bowlers had no idea.

But i have no doubt the Australians were ball tampering prior to that and that the whole team were in on it.

Either way this is a delicate issue. I'd say most teams have been ball tampering, and that it's been planned. Throwing the ball on the bounce, the use of mints. It's all intentional and pre-planned, just not as blatant as sandpaper.

Dave Warner warned pre series to look out for AB DeVilliers work on the ball with his keeping gloves. Only for Warner a few years later to be accused of using the strapping on his hands to rough up the ball.

It's no excuse, but ball tampering was going to over step the mark at some point. Now if other Australian players were to be found guilty, they could face as harsh penalties. As opposed to South Africa who blatantly cheated 3-4 times but steadfastly denied any wrongdoing. The Australian players need to deny any wrongdoing for any justice to be served.

The ICC has a lot to answer for by letting it fester for years with soft penalties.

The fact there has been almost no significant reverse swing in test cricket for 3 years now tells you all you need to know how wide spread ball tampering was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical Cricket Australia. Revisit a ball tampering episode that the rest of the cricket world has let slide just to bank brownie points with the ICC. No other country's Governing Body would be stupid enough to reopen a case that was closed over three years ago. Closed I might add after an intensive investigation during which Bancroft provided his version of events.

Bancoft's revelations should surprise no one. Anyone who has played the game would know that the bowler's had to have known something was happening even if they had no prior knowledge. If someone chucks you a ball that has been attacked with a piece of sandpaper on one side you know something is not right. This exercise has all the hallmarks of an ego trip for one individual who wants to show the Poms he is not the villan they think he is.

What are these idiots going to do with any 'new' information? suspend Starc, Coummins, Lyon and Hazlewood for twelve months? Forget it and move on.

Cricket Australia would be far better placed sorting out the domestic season so we do not have the absurd season we had last year.

The link below is a BBC feed which demonstrates how the pariahs around the cricketing world are circling waiting to taste more blood.

Last edited:
Typical Cricket Australia. Revisit a ball tampering episode that the rest of the cricket world has let slide just to bank brownie points with the ICC. No other country's Governing Body would be stupid enough to reopen a case that was closed over three years ago. Closed I might add after an intensive investigation during which Bancroft provided his version of events.

Bancoft's revelations should surprise no one. Anyone who has played the game would know that the bowler's had to have known something was happening even if they had no prior knowledge. If someone chucks you a ball that has been attacked with a piece of sandpaper on one side you know something is not right. This exercise has all the hallmarks of an ego trip for one individual who wants to show the Poms he is not the villan they think he is.

What are these idiots going to do with any 'new' information? suspend Starc, Coummins, Lyon and Hazlewood for twelve months? Forget it and move on.

Cricket Australia would be far better placed sorting out the domestic season so we do not have the absurd season we had last year.

The link below is a BBC feed which demonstrates how the pariahs around the cricketing world are circling waiting to taste more blood.

I can recall reading in a Gary Sober's book, that before the last innings of a test match back in the 1960's he roughed up one side of a new ball by continually rubbing it on the ground before play began on the 5th day, and apparently the umpires were aware of what he was doing.
His reasoning being there was nothing in the pitch for the pace bowlers, and the spinners, who included Lance Gibbs needed the ball roughed up asap.

I expect roughing one side of a ball in that way would have a much more dramatic and quicker effect than sand paper, and I'm assuming Sobers was acting within the rules at the time as the Windies bowled the oppo out to win that test.

I can recall reading in a Gary Sober's book, that before the last innings of a test match back in the 1960's he roughed up one side of a new ball by continually rubbing it on the ground before play began on the 5th day, and apparently the umpires were aware of what he was doing.
His reasoning being there was nothing in the pitch for the pace bowlers, and the spinners, who included Lance Gibbs needed the ball roughed up asap.

I expect roughing one side of a ball in that way would have a much more dramatic and quicker effect than sand paper, and I'm assuming Sobers was acting within the rules at the time as the Windies bowled the oppo out to win that test.

I read about a Test in the sub continent in the 1950's in which one of the Captains scuffed the ball in the dirt to remove the shine so the spinners could take advantage. Times change for sure.

only a few years ago in Adelaide 2016, Mick Lewis who was the bowling coach for Vic at the time kicked the ball into the gutter and raked it on the concrete to give his bowlers an advantage in the shield final SA vs Victoria.

Was in the 2nd innings and SA were 0/25 and just behind Vics 1st innings total and the ball was just 10 overs old

He plead guilty and was fined a whopping $2,200 and the team penalised 5 runs

SA eventually were bowled out for 251 and the vics got there losing just 3 wickets

Got this twitter alert on Saturday. Great twitter account by Rob Moody and he must have a garage full of old VHS tapes. 11 years and 1 billion views.

David Gower talks about the account, how good it is to have access to these videos to re watch how good the greats were, and that twitter initially shut him down, banned him from using the old footage then Cricket Oz stepped in and supporter him as they realized its a gold mine for cricket fans and great PR.

Last edited:
Got this twitter alert on Saturday. Great twitter account by Rob Moody and he must have a garage full of old VHS tapes. 11 years and 1 billion views.

David Gower talks about the account, how good it is to have access to these videos to re watch how good the greats were, and that twitter initially shut him down, banned him from using the old footage the Cricket Oz stepped in and supporter him as they realized its a gold mine for cricket fans and great PR.

I saw a reference to this account the other day when someone tweeted that this fella, Swamp and the bloke who runs AFL Tables are three greatest living human beings or somesuch ;)

The Grand Final of Test Cricket looks headed for a watery grave - there's provision for a 6th day, but today is the fifth and the start has been delayed once again...

View attachment 1161304

Why on earth wouldn't they schedule the show piece of Test cricket somewhere that isn't likely to rain - like Dubai or Darwin?

Why on earth wouldn't they schedule the show piece of Test cricket somewhere that isn't likely to rain - like Dubai or Darwin?

Not that it would help weather wise, but I wonder why it's being payed at Southampton and not Lord's. Funny thing though, just a week ago there was talk of 'heat wave' conditions over at Wembley for the European soccer game.

Not that it would help weather wise, but I wonder why it's being payed at Southampton and not Lord's. Funny thing though, just a week ago there was talk of 'heat wave' conditions over at Wembley for the European soccer game.
Yeah makes sense - Lords is the home of cricket after all. Playing it at Southampton makes about as much sense as playing the AFL grand final in Ballarat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back