Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that it would help weather wise, but I wonder why it's being payed at Southampton and not Lord's. Funny thing though, just a week ago there was talk of 'heat wave' conditions over at Wembley for the European soccer game.
Southhampton has the Hilton Hotel built into the side of the stadium with some of the rooms over looking the field, so they could keep the bubble for the players to stay within the grounds of the stadium.

Pretty sure both tests v the Windies last year were held at Southampton to take advantage of the hotel facilities.

Edit the first test was there and the next 2 were at Old Trafford which also has a Hilton Hotel built into the side of the stadium.

You'd think the newish Adelaide Oval Hotel would be similarly useful...
It should be for footy but it would mean the AFL have to ignore preffered partner Accor Hotels and I wrote in the preview thread would have to book it out from Thursday to Monday because of the unknown fixture and adjustments but it would probably have to be for the whole week for next 10 weeks.

When theplayers came back from IPL in Dubai last summer everyone stayed there so they could play 3 or 4 rounds of Sheffield Shield. The Victorian team I think only played 1 game because of the outbreak there and bans to SA were still on.

Straya 4/102 off 10 overs, chasing Windies score of 145 in the first T20, all out for 127 in 16 overs.

I am not surprised considering the number of players who did not make the tour because of COVID Bubble Fatigue.

Former Coach John Buchanan has weighed in saying that players need to be made to choose between Australia and the big money on offer in the IPL. Buchanan has also gone into bat for Justin Langer who has upset some in the Ausssie camp. Apparently Langer upset a player who was in the habit of taking a toasted sandwich out on the field to munch on in the drinks breaks.

News the the IPL is planning to restart In the UAE in September and will finish two weeks before the T20 World Cup is scheduled to start in the UAE. Crazy.

Once again with the BBL running concurrent with the Ashes series our Test Players will get * all chance to have a hit prior to the First Test.

We might as well consign Test Cricket to the museum.

News the the IPL is planning to restart In the UAE in September and will finish two weeks before the T20 World Cup is scheduled to start in the UAE. Crazy.

Once again with the BBL running concurrent with the Ashes series our Test Players will get fu** all chance to have a hit prior to the First Test.

We might as well consign Test Cricket to the museum.
Our first Sheffield Shield game against WA is scheduled for 3 days after the AFL grand final, so there'll be plenty of 4 day cricket before the 1 off Test against Afghanistan: the lead up to the Ashes. The big question is, how will the meaningless T20 World Cup affect the availability of our Test players to play in those Shield games?

As for the IPL, it's another case of India controlling cricket (the real meaning of the acronym ICC). It's a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Narrator: It got worse.

Game 3, Australia fail to chase down 127, ending up at 4/117.
Also that put Bangladesh up 3-0 in a 5 games series.

With the series on the line, Australia fell short by 10 runs with 6 wickets remaining.

Yeah, I saw that - M. Marsh top scored again, but not very quickly by T20 standards. I believe the pitches have been tailor made for the Banga's spinners, but a pretty forgettable series for the Aussies.

More importantly, there's a possibility that the Poms may send a severely weakened team to Australia for the Ashes, because the players may not be allowed to bring their families to Australia.

They could send their current batting lineup and still get smashed

Yeah, I saw that - M. Marsh top scored again, but not very quickly by T20 standards. I believe the pitches have been tailor made for the Banga's spinners, but a pretty forgettable series for the Aussies.
Australia not picking its side for the obvious conditions that the home side is going to provide, well I never.

We can cancel a Bangladesh Test tour of Australia in 2018 because it is not commercially viable yet find time to go to Bangladesh to play pyjama cricket in the middle of a pandemic. Do we need any more proof that T20 and not Test Cricket is Cricket Australia's no1 priority?

I have a bad feeling about the up coming Ashes Tour if in fact it goes ahead. If the Pommies can forget their WAGS for five minutes and set themselves up with some solid match practice back in England they can catch the Aussies with their pants down just as the Indians did last year. Once again there will be a gap of two months without Sheffield Shield competition to back up the Test players and give the selectors a form guide if changes have to be made. It is akin to the Power playing an AFL season without the SANFL for two months.

FOOTNOTE: I forgot to factor in the T20 World Cup from 17 Oct to 14 Nov. This will mean that the likes of Smith, Warner Starc and Hazelwood with not get a hitout before the First Test.

Last edited:
For over 20 years I have said to my Indian mate why doesn't one of the two of the 30 odd city/state teams in the Ranji trophy produce a wicket that is lightning quick like the Gabba or WACA so that they can develop fast bowlers and batsmen can practice against high end pace bowling at home, before a tour of Oz, SAF or Windies where they will play on fast paced wickets??

He said it wont happen, the crowd appeal is to make runs, so local administrators wont do it. Luckily Dennis Lillee and the MRF Pace Academy was set up and after about 25-30 years they started to churn out lots of fast bowlers ending up with someone like Bumrah being produced (but many others) .

We have to do something similar but with an absolute bunsen burner of a spinning wicket so our batsmen get practice for tests, ODIs and T20s tournaments on the Subcontinent and UAE.

The SCG is the obvious wicket, but if they aren't prepared to do that do it at a secondary oval like Allan Border field, or Karen Rolton Oval, or maybe in Newcastle or Wollongong.

Chris Cairns on life support after major medical episode! :(

Cairns, 51, experienced an aortic dissection in his heart last week – a serious condition in which a tear occurs in the inner layer of the body’s main artery (aorta).

Former New Zealand cricket great Chris Cairns.

Former New Zealand cricket great Chris Cairns.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

He is understood to have undergone several operations since, but has not responded to treatment as hoped. Cairns was transferred to St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney on Tuesday night.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/former-black-caps-star-on-life-support-20210810-p58hmd.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back