Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I see the aftermath of England's Ashes disaster has continued - they've just been dismissed for 103 in a T20 against the West Indies.

I think Billings is the only one that took part in the Ashes, plus a couple of others that were here for the BBL, so no excuses really. They were 7/49 until Jordan and Adil got them to the 103, Jason Holder taking 4/7. The Windies made light work of that, losing only 1 wicket, with 3 overs to spare.

I see the aftermath of England's Ashes disaster has continued - they've just been dismissed for 103 in a T20 against the West Indies.
England: "We want our Test team to be as good as our white-ball team."

England players: "Say no more."

England: "We want our Test team to be as good as our white-ball team."

England players: "Say no more."
Oh how the mighty have fallen - just weeks ago the Poms were one of the favourites for the World Cup, and then they were supposed to produce something special during the Ashes, and now this debacle.

The women's Ashes series rained out in Adelaide yesterday and delayed again today. Maybe that is the almighty telling us that women should not play cricket? :think:
I'd sooner watch women's cricket than AFLW (at least until Port enters the competition next year).

I'd sooner watch women's cricket than AFLW (at least until Port enters the competition next year).

Yeah, the women seem to have embraced cricket pretty well particularly over the past decade. The bowling is probably a bit slower but some of the women hit the ball almost as hard and as far as the men. The fielding in the women's game is pretty high standard as well. I actually watched more of the WBBL than I did of the BBL as I enjoyed the women's T20 better.

Aussie Rules has a long way to go as far as the women's game is concerned but who knows what it will look like in a decade.

Tough chance for fielder to try and deliver the hat trick on the final ball.

Strikers win and have got to the prelim final. Great effort given how bad they started the season and no Rashid Khan.

Tough chance for fielder to try and deliver the hat trick on the final ball.

Strikers win and have got to the prelim final. Great effort given how bad they started the season and no Rashid Khan.
And the Sixers are injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great catch by Billy Bob despite being charged by Carey.

And another catch next ball and Conway on a hat trick.

Strikers did remarkably well with the two blokes they plucked out of nowhere (Thornton and Cockbain), plus getting Carey and Head back, they're a big chance to win it. Rashid who?

And the Strikers beat them quite convincingly at the end of the season.
Geez I wish Mark Waugh had been commentating tonight - his whingeing about the Khawaja catch would have been epic.

Very sweet win!!!

Poms tried their hardest to lose the second T20I, but failed - made 171 themselves and had the Windies 8/98 with 29 balls remaining - then a 72 run partnership leaving WI one run short at the end of their 20 overs. 30 runs required off the last over, they scored 28, with the last 3 balls going for sixes. Good job the Pommy bowler didn't overstep...

Last edited:
Just when you think you have seen just about everything on a cricket field.

From 45 years ago. I've never seen a ball hit both set of stumps before and obviously I've never seen this before.

The official scorecard says Knott was runout for 1, so given he completed 1 run before going for a second, he was given run out as per the scorecard below.

When I looked up the scorecard I clicked on 1976 for ODI matches played and only 6 came up.

Travis Head recalled for T20Is... based on his Test innings, because his first two BBL matches have been rubbish.

I find this a strange selection, one relating to the reasons you state, but also because I believe there should some restriction on the selection of T20's cricketers vs Test players. While it's great to have some players who can successfully play all 3 formats, this shouldn't be encouraged.

I support the view there should be a focus on developing Test cricketers which starts with not selecting them to play in our national T20 team..! Cross over from Australia's T20 team to our ODI team is fine but from T20 to Test cricket, this should be at least reviewed.
In terms of talent pools, Australia have probably 60-70 players who could play in our national T20 and/or ODI teams, but the pool is far smaller with the same or other players who will likely ever be regular Test cricketers...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back