Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It truly warms my heart to see the West Indies crushing England in a Test series. Make no mistake, it's been a bloodbath.

For me a significant aspect of this West Indian team is they're all West Indians of African descent, suggesting perhaps the game of cricket is winning the hearts and minds of these kids again, over basketball, soccer and other sports.
In more recent times, as West Indian cricket has declined to embarrassing levels, the team has been largely made of up players of Indian descent. If the stronger, athletically gifted black kids of the islands are indeed starting the make their way back to cricket it may not be too far fetched to foresee the day when West Indian cricket again rises to the top of the tree.
Some of my greatest cricketing memories as a kid were watching guys like Ambrose, Garner, Walsh, Holding, Marshall knocking blokes heads off
My favourite player of all time was Viv Richards. Loved watching Greenidge and Haynes pile on the runs, Logie was a freak fieldsman, Lloyd could hang around for days, and of course Brian Lara

I loved watching the West Indies and they were absolutely unbeatable back then. I would love to see the Windies back at the top.

May 2, 2011
MacDonald Park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, CDFC, MUFC, Redbacks
Not a huge fan of the BBL, but the $tar$ were set to chase down the Renegades 145 after being 0/93 but collapsed Deadbacks-style & only managed 7/132.

Another loss to one of Eddies’ teams lol...

I stayed up all night at a mates place to watch the first one - Lara beat Australia. Wish I had access to foxtel and was aware of the game to have watched the second one.

A new book launched last week.

1550474292514.png

Gerard Whateley's interview with Daniel Brettig last week, about the deal that Packer and Bradman struck in 1979. Bradman was no longer chairman of the Australian Cricket Board, but he was SA's delegate until 1980 and every major decision was still cleared with the Don by ACB officials and board members. Packer knew that any deal had to be approved by Bradman, so he cut out all the middle men and flew to Adelaide and hammered out a deal with him directly, which was kept secret for years as neither wanted to be seen as backing down to the other, but once the deal was done, they talked about cricket philosophy and they had similar idea.

In 1996 Ray Martin interviews Bradman for a Telethon run on Ch 9 to raise funds for the Bradman Museum in Bowral and both give the impression to Ray Martin and therefore all of Oz, its the first time they have met to negotiate the show and the telethon.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=331498

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Chris Gayle marked his return to international cricket with 135 vs England, including 11 sixes. His strike rate was only 104.65 though, so he must have been 'waiting for the right ball'.

WI hit an ODI record 23 sixes, but England chased down their 360/8 for the loss of 4 wickets with 8 balls to spare (and only 6 sixes) , centuries to Roy and Root.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Amazing series win by Sri Lanka, first Asian nation to win a Test series away to South Africa. Hard to believe it was almost the same Srl Lankan team we beat so easily here not long ago...

You beat me by that much...

37486521-ce98-4545-b2e3-16f43197fe24.png

Don't know what's happened to the Saffers lately - they got flogged by Bangladesh (away) no that long ago too. They've got some great bowlers and batsmen, but consistency is pretty woeful - can only get themselves up for the Aussies!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

scotty13

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
Amazing series win by Sri Lanka, first Asian nation to win a Test series away to South Africa. Hard to believe it was almost the same Srl Lankan team we beat so easily here not long ago...

Did Sri Lanka improve greatly since they played here?
Are South Africa super s**t atm?
Was it a freak performance by SL and a terrible one by RSA for the 2 games?

Maybe game 3 will tell us... if RSA come out and destroy them maybe they have woken up?

Strange thought that 12mths ago we were using sandpaper to try and beat RSA, yet a team we flogged last month flogged RSA this month... Cricket is stuffed. haha.

Did Sri Lanka improve greatly since they played here?
Are South Africa super s**t atm?
Was it a freak performance by SL and a terrible one by RSA for the 2 games?

Maybe game 3 will tell us... if RSA come out and destroy them maybe they have woken up?

Strange thought that 12mths ago we were using sandpaper to try and beat RSA, yet a team we flogged last month flogged RSA this month... Cricket is stuffed. haha.

It's happened before and it will happen again.

Sri Lanka played in NZ and struggled, then came to Oz and had a mickey mouse warm up game and struggled, then went to SAF and had a warm up game and won. So 10 weeks of continuous touring cricket all up.

South Africa mentally capitulated after not being able to bowl out Sri Lanka and let them get 78 for the last wicket and lost the test after being the better team and in the lead for most of the test. Sri Lanka's 10th wicket partnership is the highest in test cricket to win a match. SAF are depressed and 5 days later play the 2nd test.

Reminds me of 4th test Oz v Windies in Adelaide in January 1993. We were the better side all test and lost by 1 run. We could have won the series and gone to a 2-0 lead with the test in Perth and knocked the Windies off their perch but went there 1-1, and the Windies had never lost a test in Perth even in 1975-76 when we smashed them 5-1. We were shattered mentally. 4 days after we lost, we go to Perth were 2-80 odd and then Ambrose takes 7 for bugger all and we are bowled out for 119 and then 178 and lose by an Innings and 25 runs.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back