Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

That wicket at the Basin Reserve in Wellington has to be the greenest strip i have ever seen prepared for a Test. No wonder the Bagladeshies struggled on it.

View attachment 632460

The first two days were washed out, so it's been under the covers for a long time. Oddly enough Bangladesh started off well, losing their second wicket at 119, but it was a procession after that with only a 38 run stand for the 7th wicket helping them reach 211. NZ 2/38 at stumps on the third day after being 2/8.

I didn't realise that this was day three. I wish my front lawn was as green as some parts of that wicket.

The Black Caps were 2/8 at one stage. I guess the Bangles want Williamson out pretty quickly. A good part of the final session was washed out and the covers went back on so the wicket probably isn't going to be any better to bat on today.

The Kiwis absolutely smashing them around the park. 3/371 with another session to go. Travelling at nearly 5 runs an over.

The Kiwis absolutely smashing them around the park. 3/371 with another session to go. Travelling at nearly 5 runs an over.

This made me think that it's one of those rugby grounds where the batsmen can just about shake hands with the spectators on one side, but the Basin Reserve is actually a perfect circle of about 70m radius.

Must be a gluepot at the Gabba - 23 wickets lost by lunch on the second day! SA all out for 71 in reply to Qld's 115 and now the Bulls 4/40 only lead by 84 runs :huh:

UPDATE: Qld all out for 130, leaving SA 175 to win in 2 and a half days.

SA currently 5/37
7/94 at stumps

Western Australia has nudged ahead of NSW into second place on the Shield ladder with an outright win over Queensland today. The Tasmania v NSW match still has a day to play with NSW 269 runs ahead with 5 wickets remaining. With WA on 43.9 points and NSW 38.46 prior to this game a draw won't be enough, so they'll have to leave themselves enough time to bowl Tasmania out tomorrow. They might need to declare overnight given the forecast for Hobart tomorrow...

Hobart area

Partly cloudy. The chance of fog in the early morning. Very high (90%) chance of showers, most likely in the afternoon and early evening. Light winds becoming northerly 15 to 25 km/h in the middle of the day then becoming light in the evening.

Only just heard about this tonight - Sheffield Shield final home team Victoria needs more than just a draw to secure the Shield this time - the bonus points system that operated through the rest of the season will also apply in the final, so if NSW gain more bonus points than Victoria and the game is drawn then NSW would win the Shield.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/she...nus-points-victoria-nsw-blues-draw/2019-03-24

Only just heard about this tonight - Sheffield Shield final home team Victoria needs more than just a draw to secure the Shield this time - the bonus points system that operated through the rest of the season will also apply in the final, so if NSW gain more bonus points than Victoria and the game is drawn then NSW would win the Shield.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/she...nus-points-victoria-nsw-blues-draw/2019-03-24
That should make it a better spectacle.

What's does everyone think about the Ashwin Butler mankad?

I don't get why any batsmen needs to be out of their crease, if you're in your crease you cant get out. But Butler wasn't gaining any real advantage as he would have still been in the crease if Ashwin had bowled the ball. Ashwin could have handled it better by giving a warning. It seemed a cheap shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get why any batsmen needs to be out of their crease, if you're in your crease you cant get out. But Butler wasn't gaining any real advantage as he would have still been in the crease if Ashwin had bowled the ball. Ashwin could have handled it better by giving a warning. It seemed a cheap shot.
I hope somebody returns the favour, and does the same thing to Ashwin when he's batting - to see how he likes it!!!!

I was a cowardly act. Butler was on fire at the time - Ashwin did 'whatever it takes'.

I was looking through the twitter outrage yesterday and there seemed to be a fairly equal split amongst tweeters defending or condemning it. IPL is a soulless franchise based competition, so I suppose the reactions are based on who they had their money on.

What is the issue with it in your eyes though? Should batsmen not just stay in their crease?

I wonder how Ashwin would react if overthrows were taken off his bowling from a deflection off the batsmen? All perfectly within the rules.

A guy in my indoor cricket team would take great delight getting a wicket via mankad, especially if it completed a Hattrick. It was pretty cringe worthy.

In Ashwin's normal bowling action Butler would have been in his crease, or only just 'walking with the bowler', but Ashwin stopped in his action and waited for Butler to be out of his crease. Maybe Butler had been backing up excessively previously, but the 'done thing' is to warn the batsman about that - not a rule though. It's similar to those sneaky underarm serves that Nick the prick Kyrgios has been doing more and more lately - not against the rules, but a real campaigner of a thing to do.

Expect a rash of mankads in kids and park cricket in the next little while.

In Ashwin's normal bowling action Butler would have been in his crease, or only just 'walking with the bowler', but Ashwin stopped in his action and waited for Butler to be out of his crease. Maybe Butler had been backing up excessively previously, but the 'done thing' is to warn the batsman about that - not a rule though. It's similar to those sneaky underarm serves that Nick the prick Kyrgios has been doing more and more lately - not against the rules, but a real campaigner of a thing to do.

Expect a rash of mankads in kids and park cricket in the next little while.
Agreed with the way Ashwin went about it. It was right on Butler as there was no advantage to him, but it'll teach kids to stay in their crease.

Vale Bruce Yardley.

Would have made a great modern day T20 and ODI player with his smashing batting and fast off spinners.

Used to love impersonating his bowling action when playing "Test matches" with mates in my youth.

For once an Adelaide Now article not hidden behind Rupert's pay wall...

Cricket villain Ravi Ashwin flattened by karma bus after ‘schoolboy’ error

Ravi Ashwin, it’s time to get down on your knees at the altar of the cricket gods and beg for forgiveness.
On the same day cricket’s lawmakers announced a stunning U-turn of their original assessment of the Indian spinner’s Mankad dismissal of Jos Buttler in the IPL — and declared it was not within the spirit of the game — Ashwin found himself on the wrong end of rough call of his own.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...r/news-story/9104cb269d090855c2a0718bc420e8b6

Forgot to put this up yesterday but then Cricket Oz board member, Mark Taylor's revelation's yesterday, on the anniversary of the sandpaper ball tampering affair, beggars belief. Basically it was turn a blind eye and don't dig too much as we are in enough embarrassing s**t at the moment and we don't want anymore.

As told to his employer - 9's Wide World of Sports.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/ba...eviously/ae71ad2a-5880-446c-ac51-e9ef0a2b76e7
Former Australian captain Mark Taylor concedes ball-tampering may have been going on long before Cameron Bancroft was caught with sandpaper during the Cape Town Test against South Africa last year. At the time Steve Smith was asked if Cape Town was the first time Australia had attempted to change the condition of the ball, and the skipper was adamant that it had not occurred previously.

“I can promise you this is the first time it’s happened,” Smith said.

But doubt surrounds that assertion, with Taylor confirming Cricket Australia’s review, headed by then-Head of Integrity Iain Roy, only focused on one particular incident. The former skipper, who was a Cricket Australia board member at the time, took part in an exclusive discussion with fellow Nine commentators Ian Chappell and Ian Healy to mark the first anniversary of the ball-tampering scandal. Taylor, who captained Australia from 1994-1999, says the focus of the review was only on what happened in Cape Town. “There was no probe into finding out how long it had been going on for,” Taylor told Wide World of Sports.

“Was this the first time? There’s no doubt this ‘ball management’ has been going on for a long time, and I dare say every country is either doing it or working out how to do it, but there’s a line somewhere between ball management and ball tampering. “The grey area in all of this is how much of this ball management in the past was tampering and went unnoticed.”

Any contention that the review could have delved more deeply was backed up by Chappell. “That probe was pretty specific and it almost sounded to me like they were after Warner anyhow,” Chappell told Wide World of Sports. “If it was going to be a proper probe it would have been far more wide-reaching.”

Healy is in no doubt that Cape Town wasn't the first time the team had tampered with the ball, and believes a more thorough enquiry would have resulted in more players coming under the microscope. “They'd certainly been doing it for some time,” Healy told Wide World of Sports. “A lot of them got lucky in an inquiry that was very specific to this incident.” Earlier this week, respected commentator Mike Haysman told Wide World of Sports that since the Cape Town Test reverse swing has “died” in Test cricket, with teams “extremely cautious about what they can do.”

According to Taylor, the obsession with reverse swing was at the root of the troubles. “One of the reasons I think Australia fell into trouble in South Africa last year is because they got so fixated on reverse swing,” he said
“They had three of the finest fast bowlers in world cricket, and 10 overs into a Test in South Africa they’re working on how to manage the ball to get it to reverse..........
https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/ba...eviously/ae71ad2a-5880-446c-ac51-e9ef0a2b76e7

The rest of the article looks at reverse swing, with this interesting comment.

Earlier this week, respected commentator Mike Haysman told Wide World of Sports that since the Cape Town Test reverse swing has “died” in Test cricket, with teams “extremely cautious about what they can do.”

For Healy, Haysman’s comments about the death of reverse swing signal a possible shift in the dynamics of the game. “It’s very interesting for me because Mike Haysman is a good observer, because the desperation that we saw Australia stoop to in Cape Town was influenced by what South Africa was doing, swinging the ball so convincing both ways, at good pace,” the former wicketkeeper said. “Now that Mike hasn’t seen that happen in South Africa in the last 12 months … that’s very interesting. “The Cape Town Test could have cleaned up the whole game!”

Last edited:
Healy has doubts about prior behaviour. From today's interview on SEN.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...r/news-story/44aa1326e10c15035cc09dac1875596f
Ian Healy has claimed the Australian cricket team was attempting to ball-tamper well before Cameron Bancroft used sandpaper to do so in Cape Town. The former Australia wicketkeeper said he believed the use of sandpaper wasn’t considered by select members of the team until other measures had been tested. “I don’t think you get to sandpaper without trying things before that,” he said on SEN Breakfast on Thursday.

“We’ve never heard of sandpaper being used so they would’ve been trying a few things.” Healy added that Australia were not alone and that “plenty of teams around the world” are involved in ball-tampering. He said: “What we’ve perceived as a low-level crime in cricket, the boys have paid a very heavy price for.” Healy went into further detail after he, along with former Australian captains Ian Chappell and Mark Taylor, slammed the limited scope of the probe Cricket Australia undertook in the wake of the tampering affair during the Cape Town Test against South Africa. Healy believes Australia had tampered with the ball before they were caught and claims other players were “lucky” not to be fingered with any blame.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...r/news-story/44aa1326e10c15035cc09dac1875596f

Remove this Banner Ad

Back