Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Got on our boy for the most runs in the first innings 12/1 not bad odds was always going to respond to the criticism well played lad👍

Great to see Australia forget about the negative short stuff and concentrate on attacking the stumps.

For all his shortcomings I will take Dave Warner over Neil Wagner any day. If an Aussie bowler employed the same tactics as Wagner we would hear the bleating all the way across the Tasman and it would not be the sheep. Wagner's boring leg theory tactics will turn people away from the game Warner on the other hand is never boring.

The Kiwis really have fallen for the three card trick in this Test. Williamson needs to look at his history books as Australian teams prefer to bat first. I reckon Williamson fell for the 'suspect pitch' hype and thought short pitched bowling would destroy the Australians.

I will go on record as saying I think Wagner and Williamson's tactics are a disgrace and I have to agree with Brendan McCallum who has suggested that Williamson has lost the plot.

Great to see Australia forget about the negative short stuff and concentrate on attacking the stumps.

For all his shortcomings I will take Dave Warner over Neil Wagner any day. If an Aussie bowler employed the same tactics as Wagner we would hear the bleating all the way across the Tasman and it would not be the sheep. Wagner's boring leg theory tactics will turn people away from the game Warner on the other hand is never boring.

The Kiwis really have fallen for the three card trick in this Test. Williamson needs to look at his history books as Australian teams prefer to bat first. I reckon Williamson fell for the 'suspect pitch' hype and thought short pitched bowling would destroy the Australians.

I will go on record as saying I think Wagner and Williamson's tactics are a disgrace and I have to agree with Brendan McCallum who has suggested that Williamson has lost the plot.
This has been mental disintegration at its finest from the Aussies. The Kiwis clearly don't know what to do next - bit like the Poms during the Ashes series. They couldn't get Smith out, so Broad decides to bowl 3 feet outside the off stump, to limit his scoring. This is what this is with the Kiwis - they're in a hopeless position in the game, so I guess they figure that excessive short pitched bowling will delay the declaration a bit longer.

Pattinson was very good today. Cummins was elite but that is almost commonplace for him - mind you he was at another level again last night and today.

But Pattinson bowled with pace and skill that reminded you of his envisaged pairing with Cummins when they were both young and before injury.

This has been mental disintegration at its finest from the Aussies. The Kiwis clearly don't know what to do next - bit like the Poms during the Ashes series. They couldn't get Smith out, so Broad decides to bowl 3 feet outside the off stump, to limit his scoring. This is what this is with the Kiwis - they're in a hopeless position in the game, so I guess they figure that excessive short pitched bowling will delay the declaration a bit longer.

Yes, but Wagner was bowling his short pitched crap early on the first day. Clearly Williamson has no idea how to win a Test in Australia. He needed to back himself and the other Black Cap batsman in, post a respectable total, then bowl at the stumps as the Aussie pacemen did. As a Captain Williamson is way too negative.

Pattinson was very good today. Cummins was elite but that is almost commonplace for him - mind you he was at another level again last night and today.

But Pattinson bowled with pace and skill that reminded you of his envisaged pairing with Cummins when they were both young and before injury.

and to think, at one stage Langer was considering Peter Siddle.

Pattinson at his best is better than Hazlewood, but these moments are rare.

Cummins, Starc, Pattinson and Hazlewood are the best combo of fast bowlers we have had since McGrath, Lee and Gillespie with the odd quick supporting the big 3.

When you have 3 guys that regularly are bowling 145+ km/hr, you dont need to come up with bullshit sandpaper tactics to make the ball swing.

Last edited:
Keep an eye on Riley Meredith the Tassie quick. He hits 150 clicks and has been quietly mentioned in Test calculations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and to think, at one stage Langer was considering Peter Siddle.

It was always going to be Pattinson but I'm not as against Siddle having played in this game as some. He is still bowling at 140 kms with accuracy and consistency. Could have been a handful on his home deck.

Ricky Ponting, Mark Waugh and Shane Warne have all taken aim at Aleem Dar with calls for him to be sacked.

The DRS was introduced to prevent Umpiring howlers yet Dar seems to be quite capable of making howlers even with the technology at his disposal.

You have to ask why the Australian players on the field and the FOX commentary team all saw Mitchell Santner's wrist band move yet Dar, who had the advantage of multiple camera angles, chose not to avail himself of of those angles? In the context of this match Dar's decision will probably not make a lot of difference but some of his past howler's have and it is time for the ICC to axe this guy.

Smith playing some bizarre get out shots this summer.

He's been exposed by NZ this series, they also did this to him in the WC as well.
Doesn't like it short at his chest. He should start to expect some short stuff from now on, especially next ashes here from Archer and Broad (if he's still playing,, not sure about his age?)

I wouldn't call Smith exposed by leg theory short pitched bowling at his body. No batsman will thrive under those conditions.

It is a tactic he will have to work through. He showed patience and good technique in playing the short pitched ball in the first innings, the one that did get him was a brute.

If anything he allowed himself to be too concerned about the state of the pitch and didn't score at any sort of rate.

He's been off the boil this summer but carried a huge load in the Ashes series.

He was needed to stabilise the first innings in this test when conditions were at their most trying and as usual responded with the second highest score of the match so far.

Kiwis 3 for at lunch. Williamson and Taylor back in the shed. Pattinson continuing on with his first innings work with all 3 wickets.

Kiwis 3 for at lunch. Williamson and Taylor back in the shed. Pattinson continuing on with his first innings work with all 3 wickets.
Who the hell do you drop when Hazlewood is fit? We're spoiled with riches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back