scotty13

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
They won't drop him after making 61. The alternative is to bring Bancroft back, and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

Yeah that 61 has ensured he will be there for the rest of this series... but he shouldnt have been there this match after his first two games.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Yeah that 61 has ensured he will be there for the rest of this series... but he shouldnt have been there this match after his first two games.

Warner's form in the World Cup was superb. OK, he missed out in a couple of Tests as players do. To drop Warner would give the Poms a free kick. David Warner isn't the only player to have under performed in the first two Tests, Usman Khawaja, Cameron Bancroft and Tim Paine have had a couple of innings between them and none of them have Warner's record.

We also need to remember that the ball has dominated the bat in the series and only Steve Smith has shown any real consistency. Even a top ten ranked batsman like Joe Root has managed just 99 runs in 5 innings.

If I had to put money on one of David Warner, Cameron Bancroft or Usman Khawaja making a hundred before the series is over my money would be on Warner.

The really interesting selection question is not about David Warner but what happens next Test if Smith comes back. The selectors cannot drop Marnus Labuschagne and assuming Travis Head and Matthew Wade have done enough that leaves Usman Khawaja in the cross hairs.

Last edited:
I just checked the score. From where Labuschagne came?!

England is good as dead, isn't it?
South Africa - Afrikaans heritage, only spoke Afrikaans until went to school, which means the name is of Dutch heritage. Emigrated to Oz when he was about 10 and wasn't fluent in English when he got to Oz.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
South Africa - Afrikaans heritage, only spoke Afrikaans until went to school, which means the name is of Dutch heritage. Emigrated to Oz when he was about 10 and wasn't fluent in English when he got to Oz.
You have found your Amarildo, haven't you? In 1962, Pelé went down. Everyone thought we were done. Amarildo got in, and we won the Cup.

You have found your Amarildo, haven't you? In 1962, Pelé went down. Everyone thought we were done. Amarildo got in, and we won the Cup.
Didn't Garrincha do a lot of scoring in the finals 1/4, SF and Final?

Have you become a cricket tragic now as well?

Labuschagne may well have helped Australia retain the ashes.

The 50 odd to save the game at Lord's after becoming the first concussion replacement player was super important, and the two scores over 50 this test almost certainly mean that Austraia will win the test and at worst it will be a draw, which means England at best can only draw the series and not win back the ashes.

But great analogy. Labuschagne becomes our Amarildo, to replace the best in the world at the time our Smith your Pele, and we retain the ashes and you the world cup.

I wonder if I send this analogy to the cricket commentators if they will get it. The English will, well the odd one, but the Aussies wont have a clue.

GremioPower when it looks like England can't win the game and therefore the ashes, you should tweet English cricket commentator Alison Mitchell who does ball by ball commentary for the BBC Radio, and give her your Labuschagne v Amarildo anaolgy.

She has been coming out to Oz do cricket commentating for radio in Oz for the last few years and now TV that last summer Channel 7 got the TV rights after 40 years from Channel 9, she was on 7's commentary team as well, and she also does cricket broadcasts to India both games and radio program once a week.

She is a Port supporter. Her mum grew up a stone's throw from Alberton Oval and went to England in her early twenty's and married an Englishman. Alison grew up in England but every second Christmas she would spend it with the Oz side of the family at Alberton.

Tell here you are a Brazilian and a Port Adelaide supporter, Gremio as well, who has had to learn about cricket to understand the Aussies, then tell her your analogy and her 65,000 followers around the world will get to see your analogy. Might even start up la long conversation about the 2 as she would have plenty of fans who are cricket + association football fans. She will probably mention it in the radio coverage so do it when England are 4 or 5 wickets down and can't win.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
GremioPower when it looks like England can't win the game and therefore the ashes, you should tweet English cricket commentator Alison Mitchell who does ball by ball commentary for the BBC Radio, and give her your Labuschagne v Amarildo anaolgy.

She has been coming out to Oz do cricket commentating for radio in Oz for the last few years and now TV that last summer Channel 7 got the TV rights after 40 years from Channel 9, she was on 7's commentary team as well, and she also does cricket broadcasts to India both games and radio program once a week.

She is a Port supporter. Her mum grew up a stone's throw from Alberton Oval and went to England in her early twenty's and married an Englishman. Alison grew up in England but every second Christmas she would spend it with the Oz side of the family at Alberton.

Tell here you are a Brazilian and a Port Adelaide supporter, Gremio as well, who has had to learn about cricket to understand the Aussies, then tell her your analogy and her 65,000 followers around the world will get to see your analogy. Might even start up la long conversation about the 2 as she would have plenty of fans who are cricket + association football fans. She will probably mention it in the radio coverage so do it when England are 4 or 5 wickets down and can't win.

I will. Thanks.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Didn't Garrincha do a lot of scoring in the finals 1/4, SF and Final?
Garrincha was outstanding! But Amarildo was Botafogo's #10. He was used to play with Garrincha, Zagallo, Nilton Santos, etc. He filled the void well enough.

Have you become a cricket tragic now as well?
Nah! Far from it. Just a curious observer. The Ashes is a great event.

Labuschagne may well have helped Australia retain the ashes.

The 50 odd to save the game at Lord's after becoming the first concussion replacement player was super important, and the two scores over 50 this test almost certainly mean that Australia will win the test and at worst it will be a draw, which means England at best can only draw the series and not win back the ashes.

But great analogy. Labuschagne becomes our Amarildo, to replace the best in the world at the time our Smith your Pele, and we retain the ashes and you the world cup.

I wonder if I send this analogy to the cricket commentators if they will get it. The English will, well the odd one, but the Aussies wont have a clue.
I believe most people would have at least a sense of who Pele is and how important he was to Brazil and to soccer.

I believe most people would have at least a sense of who Pele is and how important he was to Brazil and to soccer.
True, but I was thinking what do they know about 1962 WC and what happened to Pele. They wouldn't know the back story to that WC.

Have you watched any vision? or just scores. This is the best site its the defacto world cricket site.

Live scoreboard

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Have you watched any vision? or just scores. This is the best site its the defacto world cricket site.

Live scoreboard

Just the scores. All videos I have found are not allowed in Brazil.

Just the scores. All videos I have found are not allowed in Brazil.
Try this you tube site.

It has the daily highlights from the official England and Wales Cricket Board site. If so, watch Jofra Archer bowl to Smith to hit him and the the 2nd innings he hits Labuschagne on the helmet grill 2nd ball.

He changed the whole test series in that spell of 8 overs in the 1st innings, when he averaged in every over, bowling over 90 miles/hr or 145 miles/hr. It was an amazing effort by someone making his test debut and as good an 6-8 over spell I have seen by an fast bowler in test cricket.

This is the official Cricket Australia you tube site, but it only has interviews not highlights. That will come in the Australian summer.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Try this you tube site.

It has the daily highlights from the official England and Wales Cricket Board site. If so, watch Jofra Archer bowl to Smith to hit him and the the 2nd innings he hits Labuschagne on the helmet grill 2nd ball.

He changed the whole test series in that spell of 8 overs in the 1st innings, when he averaged in every over, bowling over 90 miles/hr or 145 miles/hr. It was an amazing effort by someone making his test debut and as good an 6-8 over spell I have seen by an fast bowler in test cricket.

This is the official Cricket Australia you tube site, but it only has interviews not highlights. That will come in the Australian summer.

The videos work. Shame that I don't know much of the rules and tactics.

He changed the whole test series in that spell of 8 overs in the 1st innings...
Who do you mean by "he?"

The videos work. Shame that I don't know much of the rules and tactics.

Who do you mean by "he?"
Sorry thought I wrote Jofra Archer. Watched his highlights before I posted that comment.

scotty13

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
Warner's form in the World Cup was superb. OK, he missed out in a couple of Tests as players do. To drop Warner would give the Poms a free kick. David Warner isn't the only player to have under performed in the first two Tests, Usman Khawaja, Cameron Bancroft and Tim Paine have had a couple of innings between them and none of them have Warner's record.

We also need to remember that the ball has dominated the bat in the series and only Steve Smith has shown any real consistency. Even a top ten ranked batsman like Joe Root has managed just 99 runs in 5 innings.

If I had to put money on one of David Warner, Cameron Bancroft or Usman Khawaja making a hundred before the series is over my money would be on Warner.

The really interesting selection question is not about David Warner but what happens next Test if Smith comes back. The selectors cannot drop Marnus Labuschagne and assuming Travis Head and Matthew Wade have done enough that leaves Usman Khawaja in the cross hairs.

World Cup form should not have any impact of being selected for a test side. They are two completely different forms of cricket. Although the selecters find it hard to see a difference there is one.

The selectors were happy to drop Bancroft who had out perfromed Warner in the first two matches, in fact even with Warners 61, he is still the worst performing batter in the series for Australia. Apart from the 61 he has has: 2, 8, 3, 5 and 0. Hardly something to be impressed about. On the flip side, Peter Siddle has made: 44 & 9 in the two innings that he has batted. Much more impressive (and yes I know, it is different opening than coming in at 7/8 down... although the speed we have lost wickets this series, there isnt much difference :p )
I think he just needs to play some county to try and find some form. Lets not forget he was out of the game for 12mths, can expect him to pick up a bat and making big runs.

If we look at our two openers over last summer when Bancroft and Warner were out:
In a 2 series clean sweet of SL
Burns: 180, 9, 15
Harris: 11, 14, 44

In a 2-1 loss to India
Finch: 0, 11, 50, 25, 8, 3
Harris: 26, 26, 70, 20, 22, 13, 79, 2*
Khuwaja: 27, 4*

The selecters decided to bring Harris in for this game, and I wonder weather Burns is entitled to have a crack in the next game.

On another note... In Paine counting his lucky stars that he is captain? If he wasn't I think Carey might be the keeper for Australia. Possibly a better keeper, and definately a better batter!

Lets hope today we can smack another 100 or so runs to go about 400 up, then bowl England out before the end of the day to really shove it up them.

As a sign of how this series is going:
The two best batsmen in the series are awkwardly connected.
Smith by far has been the best batsman this series scoring 378 runs with 2 centuries and a 92 before being subbed out of the second game with concussion.
The second best batsman of the series is the guy who was subbed into the game as Smith's replacement in Labuschagne. Labuschagne has made 3 50's, with a chance still to turn one of them into a 100.
These are the only two batsmen to go beyond 50 in all of their innings, and although Labuschagne sits 4th on total runs for the series, I think he has batted better than both Burns and Stokes.
Burns has managed a 133 and 53, but then 9, 11 and 29.
Stokes has a 115* with a 50, but also a 13, 6 and 8.

Before you get too smug, remember when we bowled South Africa out for 96, and within no time, we were 9 for 21?
Was that Pat Cummins debut game in SAF?
Looked up the November 2011 2 test match series in South Africa.

We made 47 in our 2nd innings in reply to SAF's 96 and ended up setting them 236 which they made easily with 2 wickets down.

Next test which was scheduled 4 days later but 1st one was over after 3 days, 18 year old Cummins made his debut, came in for Harris and Khawaja replaces an injured Shaun Marsh.

SAF made 266 Cummins took 1/38, Oz made 296 Cummins made 2. SAF then makes 339 and Cummins bowls brilliantly leading the attack with 6/79 of 29 overs. Oz were set 310 in just over 4 sessions. Got to 8/292 with Johnson on 30ish, 18 still to win but the kid and only a poor batter Lyon playing his 5th test to come.

Cummins batted way ahead of his 18 years of age and made 13 but never looked troubled and hit the winning runs. Then doesn't play another test for 5 and a half years as continually breaks down.

Didn't know it at the time, but he showed great leadership qualities in that debut test and wouldn't surprise me if he gets named captain of Oz soon.

Remember listening to Kim Hughes on ABC radio in the 2017-18 Ashes test series and one day he was talking about how he went up to the cricket academy in Brisbane to do some coaching a year or two earlier, and on his first day watched a young batsman for about 30 minutes and was really impressed with his technique, style etc. Kim asked one of the academy staff who the batter was and what position he batted. He was flawed when he was told Cummins is a fast bowler who has batted 9 and 10 for NSW.

His batting is impressive and I can see him making 2,000+ test runs if he doesn't break down again like over those first 5.5 years. Has made 580 runs in 35 innings, averages 20.0, with 2 50's in his 23 tests, but I reckon he is a lot better than that and should be batting at 8, ahead of Pattinson.

Looked up the November 2011 2 test match series in South Africa.

We made 47 in our 2nd innings in reply to SAF's 96 and ended up setting them 236 which they made easily with 2 wickets down.

Next test which was scheduled 4 days later but 1st one was over after 3 days, 18 year old Cummins made his debut, came in for Harris and Khawaja replaces an injured Shaun Marsh.

SAF made 266 Cummins took 1/38, Oz made 296 Cummins made 2. SAF then makes 339 and Cummins bowls brilliantly leading the attack with 6/79 of 29 overs. Oz were set 310 in just over 4 sessions. Got to 8/292 with Johnson on 30ish, 18 still to win but the kid and only a poor batter Lyon playing his 5th test to come.

Cummins batted way ahead of his 18 years of age and made 13 but never looked troubled and hit the winning runs. Then doesn't play another test for 5 and a half years as continually breaks down.

Didn't know it at the time, but he showed great leadership qualities in that debut test and wouldn't surprise me if he gets named captain of Oz soon.

Remember listening to Kim Hughes on ABC radio in the 2017-18 Ashes test series and one day he was talking about how he went up to the cricket academy in Brisbane to do some coaching a year or two earlier, and on his first day watched a young batsman for about 30 minutes and was really impressed with his technique, style etc. Kim asked one of the academy staff who the batter was and what position he batted. He was flawed when he was told Cummins is a fast bowler who has batted 9 and 10 for NSW.

His batting is impressive and I can see him making 2,000+ test runs if he doesn't break down again like over those first 5.5 years. Has made 580 runs in 35 innings, averages 20.0, with 2 50's in his 23 tests, but I reckon he is a lot better than that and should be batting at 8, ahead of Pattinson.
He's a helluva talent, and he's only 26. So the scary thing for opposition teams is that he'll only get better over the next few years.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Done.

Back