Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

When oh when are the Aussie's going to learn to use the DRS properly? Joe Burns was not even close to out. That was the umpiring howler that the DRS was supposed to eliminate.

Maybe it is time to give the third umpire the discretion to intervene in decisions like that one?

It might also be time to get rid of Aleem Dar as a Test umpire. He makes too many howlers. It was Dar who gave Stuart Broad not out and cost Australia an Ashes win in England a few years back.

Last edited:
Smith looks ordinary - Marnus the new Smith.
Credit to the Kiwis I reckon - they had a plan, and executed it perfectly. But Smith is a class player: he'll fight his way through this mini slump.

It would not be a Test series without an injury to an Aussie fast bowler. Hazlewood again, this time it is a hamstring.

Not sure who handles the fitness of these guys but he or she should be sacked.
On the ABC last night, they suggested another possible cause - the surface at the new Perth Stadium. Plenty of Eagles and Dockers have sustained injuries at the ground, and now 2 bowlers have gone down in 2 days.

I think Travis Head may be in some danger of the axe. Two reasons, firstly his failure to capitalise on good starts secondly Josh Hazelwood's injury. Travis has a tendency to throw his wicket away when a big score beckons. Secondly the selectors have a history of wanting an all rounder in the side and Hazelwood's injury will remind them of the danger of being one bowler short. Thankfully this time around it won't be Mitch Marsh but another West Australian in Cameron Green must be a strong contender.

Tim Paine should also be dropped as his keeping is only average, that missed run out in the Black Caps first innings simply should not happen at Test level as a keeper who cannot take a return from the outfield has no place at Test level. Paine's on field Captaincy is also suspect as by his own admission he cannot read a pitch and on top of that his decision to put England in twice in the Ashes series cost Australia a series win. In addition Paine does not make enough runs at no 7. The question is who Captains the side if Paine goes? It will not happen but if CA had any balls they would give Steve Smith some time off for good behaviour and reinstate him as Captain. Smith has learnt a lesson and will not let things get away from him again.

Australia will have to rely heavily on Lyon and Labuschagne in the Black Caps second innings and we will want to be in front by plenty to make sure of a win.

Why is there a English women and Michael Vaughan in the commentary team?

I agree, I am not sure why we need an influx of Poms to tell us all about Australian cricket. One thing about that Nine boys club, Ian Chappell was not afraid to have a go. Maybe I missed it but no one in the FOXTEL commentary team has called Aleem Dar out about the two absolute howlers he has made in this game. I suspect that the cricket commentators are like the FOXTEL AFL commentators and briefed not to criticise umpires as part of the broadcast rights deal.

There have actually been two English women commentators over the Test series this summer and they have not been too bad. It is perhaps not by chance that both Isha Ghua and Alison Mitchell are easy on the eye.

I think Travis Head may be in some danger of the axe. Two reasons, firstly his failure to capitalise on good starts secondly Josh Hazelwood's injury. Travis has a tendency to throw his wicket away when a big score beckons. Secondly the selectors have a history of wanting an all rounder in the side and Hazelwood's injury will remind them of the danger of being one bowler short. Thankfully this time around it won't be Mitch Marsh but another West Australian in Cameron Green must be a strong contender.

Tim Paine should also be dropped as his keeping is only average, that missed run out in the Black Caps first innings simply should not happen at Test level as a keeper who cannot take a return from the outfield has no place at Test level. Paine's on field Captaincy is also suspect as by his own admission he cannot read a pitch and on top of that his decision to put England in twice in the Ashes series cost Australia a series win. In addition Paine does not make enough runs at no 7. The question is who Captains the side if Paine goes? It will not happen but if CA had any balls they would give Steve Smith some time off for good behaviour and reinstate him as Captain. Smith has learnt a lesson and will not let things get away from him again.

Australia will have to rely heavily on Lyon and Labuschagne in the Black Caps second innings and we will want to be in front by plenty to make sure of a win.

Travis Head 2019 600 runs @ 46 in 2019.

Travis Head 2019 600 runs @ 46 in 2019.

Most of them made in the last Australian summer. In his last six Tests Travis has averaged 27.6 in 10 completed innings. He may survive this time around , but if he doesn't make runs in the Boxing Day Test the knives will be out.

The Australian selectors are dead keen to have an all rounder in the line up hence their perseverance with the likes of Watson, Maxwell, M. Marsh and Henriques over the past decade. Justin Langer's comments when justifying Mitchell Marsh's selection over Head for the Fifth Ashes Test show that desire is alive and well. On top of that Cameron Green is a bit of a Justin Langer protege so there is a strong chance he will get a gig sometime soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, I am not sure why we need an influx of Poms to tell us all about Australian cricket. One thing about that Nine boys club, Ian Chappell was not afraid to have a go. Maybe I missed it but no one in the FOXTEL commentary team has called Aleem Dar out about the two absolute howlers he has made in this game. I suspect that the cricket commentators are like the FOXTEL AFL commentators and briefed not to criticise umpires as part of the broadcast rights deal.

There have actually been two English women commentators over the Test series this summer and they have not been too bad. It is perhaps not by chance that both Isha Ghua and Alison Mitchell are easy on the eye.
Love Ian Chappell, he's got a great insight into the game. I felt commentators like McGrath can be overly parochia, and not know enough about the positionl. I prefer how Mitchell is pretty neutral, keeps the conversation flowing and actually knows a bit about the visiting team.

West are the two decisions by Aleem Dar you're talking about?

Love Ian Chappell, he's got a great insight into the game. I felt commentators like McGrath can be overly parochia, and not know enough about the positionl. I prefer how Mitchell is pretty neutral, keeps the conversation flowing and actually knows a bit about the visiting team.

West are the two decisions by Aleem Dar you're talking about?

He gave one of the Black Caps caught off the helmet, cannot see how that was out and Joe Burns' LB in the first innings the ball was missing leg stump by 30 mm. Burns should have asked for a review but didn't.

As I was watching today Dar missed a no ball.

No ump is perfect and they all make mistakes but this guy makes more than most and they are bad ones.

He gave one of the Black Caps caught off the helmet, cannot see how that was out and Joe Burns' LB in the first innings the ball was missing leg stump by 30 mm. Burns should have asked for a review but didn't.

As I was watching today Dar missed a no ball.

No ump is perfect and they all make mistakes but this guy makes more than most and they are bad ones.
The de Granhomme wasn't a howler, the lack of video evidence was. With Joe Burns, Warner didn't advise him to review and all the commentators I heard also thought it was out. Dar's decisions were fine with those examples. He's probably been a bit dopey on many other occasions though.

The no-balls are an issue umpire wide.

Take out Labuschange's 200 runs and the Kiwis having to bowl 2 arvos in 40 degrees in the first innings and no Boult, then Ferguson breaking down on day 1 and there wasn't as big a difference in the 2 sides as the scoreboard says. Sure Hazelwood was out but the Oz bowlers had 2 hot days in the changerooms and started bowling at night.

Melbourne looks like it will be mid 20's, a day test no evening advantage for both bowlers and Boult back and it should be a lot closer test. Will be interesting to see what Starc does with the red ball because he is bowling bloody well but there wont be the advantage of bowling at night. Oz will be favourites but I expect it to be closer.

Take out Labuschange's 200 runs and the Kiwis having to bowl 2 arvos in 40 degrees in the first innings and no Boult, then Ferguson breaking down on day 1 and there wasn't as big a difference in the 2 sides as the scoreboard says. Sure Hazelwood was out but the Oz bowlers had 2 hot days in the changerooms and started bowling at night.

Melbourne looks like it will be mid 20's, a day test no evening advantage for both bowlers and Boult back and it should be a lot closer test. Will be interesting to see what Starc does with the red ball because he is bowling bloody well but there wont be the advantage of bowling at night. Oz will be favourites but I expect it to be closer.
The Kiwis still have to find a way of playing our bowlers. Starc, Cummins and Lyon have taken more than 100 Test wickets in this calendar year - they're a phenomenal combination.

The way Starc is bowling clearly shows he should have never been left out of crucial tests during the ashes, it made no sense at the time, and even less now.
The Aussies should have won that series 3 to 1 at worst, but I suspect Langer's first thought was to retain the ashes, and winning was secondary to those thoughts.

Stuff that over conservative crap, we had too much of that when Bill Lawry was captain.

The way Starc is bowling clearly shows he should have never been left out of crucial tests during the ashes, it made no sense at the time, and even less now.
The Aussies should have won that series 3 to 1 at worst, but I suspect Langer's first thought was to retain the ashes, and winning was secondary to those thoughts.

Stuff that over conservative crap, we had too much of that when Bill Lawry was captain.
I heard somewhere that his fitness wasn't the best while he was in England, but why he was dropped for Siddle for the final Test was weird. Anyway, he's back now, and he's in astonishing form. Good luck Kiwis in Melbourne and Sydney!!!

Take out Ben Stokes' 135 against Australia at Leeds last August and Australia would have won the Test and the series. The fact is Labuschagne played for Australia and the Black Caps could not make 200 in either innings and made only 337 in two innings.

I heard somewhere that his fitness wasn't the best while he was in England, but why he was dropped for Siddle for the final Test was weird. Anyway, he's back now, and he's in astonishing form. Good luck Kiwis in Melbourne and Sydney!!!

The odd thing is that Langer is now touting Siddle over Jame Pattinson who was considered to better than Starc four months ago. Surely the Aussies will go with Pattinson before Siddle, particularly in Australian conditions? I could see some logic in going for Siddle with a Drake ball on the lower slower Pommie decks but not in Australia.

Take out Ben Stokes' 135 against Australia at Leeds last August and Australia would have won the Test and the series. The fact is Labuschagne played for Australia and the Black Caps could not make 200 in either innings and made only 337 in two innings.
Guess what I was trying to say was the margin makes it look as if the Kiwis were as bad as the Paki's. Labuschange dominated the Pakis and the NZ, but against the Pakis every other batter did, against NZ that wasn't the case. The weather was a huge factor and a D/N test as well. I don't think Melbourne and Sydney tests will see a repeat of Oz winning by a huge margin again like the first 3 tests this summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back