Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is the old school tie. The Clubs that should also figure in the amalgamation dicussions are East Torrens, Kensington, Sturt and Adelaide and University could disappear altogether but that will never happen. Every time the SACA talks about rationalisation of the District Competition only Port Adelaide, Woodville and West Torrens seem to get a mention.

i agree that there needs to be some pruning of the District competition as the dickhead decision to admit more clubs has watered down the standards and it shows at first class level. I am just pissed off that all the action seems to centre on the western side of town.

If amalgamation is the way to go so be it but it has to be a rationalisation across the entire metro area not just one corner.

So the Aussies are off to the COVID Kingdom to play in 15 degrees, in the rain and in front of no crowds.

1598223033250.png

The summer weather in the UK last weekend.

After playing in England a number of the team, along with with England players, will board a private jet bound for the to UAE to play for their IPL sides. These players face a series of stints in quarantine as they will have to quarantine in the UAE before starting their IPL stint then again in Australia when they return in November. With the England bubble it is about 5 weeks in quarantine of some sort between late August and early November.

When you look at the IPL schedule you have to wonder why they are playing to empty houses in England. Most probably some money in it for CA.

Last edited:
Channel Seven are bitching about CA's programming for the upcoming season. Seven boss James Warburton has apparently 'put Cricket Australia on notice'. Seven are not happy about CA's delay in announcing the 2020/21 season details and the prospect of some BBL players being unavailable due to quarantine. Seven want all international players on the park from game one of the BBL.

I can see Seven's point but there is a pandemic on and CA have to put the player's welfare first. CA cannot control the IPL schedule which is not due to finish until November 10th. That does not leave much time to get Tests against Afghanistan, a Tests series against India as well as the limited overs versions of the game and the BBL into place.

Channel Seven are bitching about CA's programming for the upcoming season. Seven boss James Warburton has apparently 'put Cricket Australia on notice'. Seven are not happy about CA's delay in announcing the 2020/21 season details and the prospect of some BBL players being unavailable due to quarantine. Seven want all international players on the park from game one of the BBL.

I can see Seven's point but there is a pandemic on and CA have to put the player's welfare first. CA cannot control the IPL schedule which is not due to finish until November 10th. That does not leave much time to get Tests against Afghanistan, a Tests series against India as well as the limited overs versions of the game and the BBL into place.

All the footy codes have taken a haircut on their TV deals. Cricket refuses to despite according to Crash Craddock, 7 having a clause in the contract that says the BBL has to be at least as good as the previous season.

That wont happen in 2020-21 and seems to be the biggest area of concern as O's players probably wont be allowed into the country to play BBL. Plus I think the ACA has forced CA to limit the number of international players.

All the footy codes have taken a haircut on their TV deals. Cricket refuses to despite according to Crash Craddock, 7 having a clause in the contract that says the BBL has to be at least as good as the previous season.

That wont happen in 2020-21 and seems to be the biggest area of concern as O's players probably wont be allowed into the country to play BBL. Plus I think the ACA has forced CA to limit the number of international players.

The latest is that CA is standing it's ground. I am not sure how anyone is going to maintain standards in the face of a global pandemic. There are unlikely to be any capacity crowds and that alone will affect the product. The IPL had to delay their competition by at least four months so Seven should thank their lucky stars they are getting a start. Normally I am not that sympathetic toward CA but I can appreciate that they have to balance an international programme and a domestic programme. With the IPL not finishing until mid November the entire Australian season has probably been pushed back to fit everything in.

At this stage this season is a one off and you would think given the circumstances SEVEN could be a little more accommodating. I guess the spirit of 'all being in this together' is well past it's use by date.

It seems to be a bit of a hot hum kind of cricket season ahead, apart from the Tests against India. I reckon we'll be looking forward to round 1 of the AFL season by the end of the Sydney Test.

CA can't expect 100% of the TV rights monies if they aren't delivering what was contracted for them to deliver. Asking for a 10% to 20% discounts seems reasonable to me. If 7 are asking for a lot more than that, sure CA should stand their ground but to offer nothing is poor.

As I said, the football codes - all 4 - are a decent guide to what sort of haircut on the cricket deal is reasonable.

CA can't expect 100% of the TV rights monies if they aren't delivering what was contracted for them to deliver. Asking for a 10% to 20% discounts seems reasonable to me. If 7 are asking for a lot more than that, sure CA should stand their ground but to offer nothing is poor.

As I said, the football codes - all 4 - are a decent guide to what sort of haircut on the cricket deal is reasonable.

According to this morning's press SEVEN attempted to off load the BBL rights to the TEN network back in March so they were obviously not happy with the deal they had last year. It looks as if SEVEN believe they paid too much and are struggling to recover their outlay. If this is the case the standard of the product may just be an excuse to exit a deal SEVEN wish they had not signed in the first place.

SEVEN are asking for something that CA is not in a position to deliver. As the link below suggests the costs associated with biosecurity hubs, quarantine, plus the probability of reduced gates will mean that the money available to pay international players is not there hence CA's inability to guarantee the best international players. In Cricket Australia's situation it is really a catch 22 situation as you cannot guarantee the best players if you do not have the money to pay for them and you cannot get the money to pay for them unless you have a suitable broadcast rights deal which will not come without the best players.

Cricket Australia obviously need a FTA broadcaster so they need to take the best FTA offer they can get. If that offer is a 20%- 30% discount they will have to wear it.

Good to read such a large number of posts about the T20 series in England......

The only way I knew they were on was when games popped up on the Live Scores website I use - last night's game at least started at 9.30pm WA time and I followed the Aussie innings (ordinary), but the first one started at 1.00am, so I didn't see it until after the event.

Good to read such a large number of posts about the T20 series in England......

It is really a Clayton's series designed to get some of the Aussie big names back in the swing of things before the upcoming summer. Some Australian players have not had a competitive hit out since the Chappell/ Hadlee series was cancelled. In the meantime England have had hit outs against the West Indies and Pakistan. I have not shown that much interest as I have not taken the results too seriously. Play a T20 series in Australia in four months and we would probably flog the Poms.

It is really a Clayton's series designed to get some of the Aussie big names back in the swing of things before the upcoming summer. Some Australian players have not had a competitive hit out since the Chappell/ Hadlee series was cancelled. In the meantime England have had hit outs against the West Indies and Pakistan. I have not shown that much interest as I have not taken the results too seriously. Play a T20 series in Australia in four months and we would probably flog the Poms.
To be blunt, I'm happy for the Poms to win a hit and giggle series - as long as we retain the Ashes next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If SEVEN do not want cricket give it back to NINE. Cricket Australia will loose money on the deal but at least we will see cricket on the screens. I cannot believe a network is thinking of cancelling a contract because of the percieved short term drop in quality in one aspect of the product. There has to be more to it than that and the suggestion is that SEVEN were not happy with last season's BBL figures and were looking to dump their deal back in February before the pandemic had taken hold.

What happens to the people contracted to the SEVEN commentary team if SEVEN decides to opt out? Do SEVEN have to meet the cost of the unfulfilled contracts? What about naming rights sponsors such as KFC who expected to have their brand plastered all over our TV screens this summer? Are they entitled to compensation from SEVEN?

Also what happens to SEVEN's reputation as a reliable media partner if they go ahead and break their contract? On one hand we have NINE who covered all forms of cricket for forty years without drama and on the other hand SEVEN have it for a couple of years then threaten to pull the pin because they are supposedly not happy with the standards in the game.

It is a complex issue for sure. Personally it is probably best for the game if SEVEN take their bat and ball, move on and let a network that is interested take up the broadcast rights. This will cost CA money but given SEVEN's attitude I am not sure that Cricket Australia could ever feel comfortable with them as a partner.

One of the greatest see saw contests in cricket history. From 2/0 England made it to 7/302 then had Australia on the ropes at 5/73. Then enter Glen Maxwell and Alex Carey who shared a 212 run partnership to put Australia on the road to 7/305 and victory. Maxwell made 108, Carey 106 and for England Bairstow made 112 in what looked to be a match winning innings.

Great result and even greater to do it against England in England.

Yes, what an absolute shock I have started a thread on Dean Jones' passing.

Deano dead from a heart attack at 59.

Perhaps the vision that most of us remember the most was the vision of Deano being physically sick during his heroic 200 in India. Interviewed after the game Deano put it down to the stench from an open sewer that ran along one end of the ground.

Last edited:
Also remember him having the **lls to ask Curtley to remove his wrist sweat band as it was distracting him. Unfortunately a fired up Curtley got him soon after.

Time for Cricket Australia to tell SEVEN to * off. They either want to televise the cricket or they don't. NINE televised cricket for forty years without a hiccup, these pricks are on the scene for a little over two years and they want to dictate who should or should not be playing pajama cricket.

I have been watching the IPL and it isn't even being played in India in front of a crowd during the regular Indian summer and the depth of talent seems thinner on the ground due to the COVID situation. That has not stopped the television networks from fulfilling their contract.

Never change Redbacks, from 1/180 in their first dig, here they are now

CA5FC3A9-F24A-48B1-AD95-5520024F53D1.jpeg

Time for Cricket Australia to tell SEVEN to fu** off. They either want to televise the cricket or they don't. NINE televised cricket for forty years without a hiccup, these pricks are on the scene for a little over two years and they want to dictate who should or should not be playing pajama cricket.

I have been watching the IPL and it isn't even being played in India in front of a crowd during the regular Indian summer and the depth of talent seems thinner on the ground due to the COVID situation. That has not stopped the television networks from fulfilling their contract.
That's because whilst Packer was alive he told Cricket Australia how much he was paying for it, and he paid unders and Cricket Australia were too scared to put it to an open bid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back